• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why I've Decided to Stick with the AR Platform

Centuriator

Dude...you're being very un-Dude.
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.theprepperjournal.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2014\/03\/AKvsAR.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I know, I know...there is a lot of "derp" out there when it comes to this subject. But...I actually have given this a LOT of thought and have had a LOT of meaningful experience with both the AR and the AK. So here's my "take" on it and why I've decided to focus my resources and training time on the AR platform.

I've spent the last several years using the AK platform both plinking and range fun and in a number of formal, serious intense AK classes. Yesterday was the final straw for me and I made the decision to seek an amicable divorce from the AK style rifle. These are only my reasons, my opinions and what is best for me, but others might have wondered about using AK v. AR and here is a list of reasons why I'm saying adios to the AK, as always, your mileage may vary. But based on my experience, rather extensive, really giving each platform a good working out over a whole lot of training classes, including advanced marksmanship, CQB, moving and shooting, etc. This list of items is NOT based simply on standing still on a square range plinking at paper.

AR safety easier to use and safer than AK safety system.
AR safety faster to manipulate, both on/off.
AR safety is safer than AK.
AR bolt can be easily locked open.
AR bolt locks open on last round fired.
AR magazines are easier and faster to load.
AR ergonomics are superior to AR ergos (unless you modify AK to be more like AR).
AR is easier to get into battery.
AR optics are easier to put on rifle.
AR is more controllable and easier to get on and stay on target with multiple rounds.
AR standard adjustable stock allows for much better LOP options than AK.
AR sights are easier and faster to use.
AR standard 5.56 round is plenty effective.
AR ammo and mags are lighter weight and you can carry more.
AR .223/5.56 ballistic performance superior to 7.62 x 39 (why do you think the Soviets moved over to the 5.45 round)
AR rifles are "America's rifle" and enjoy the longest running status as America's primary small arm.
AR rifles parts and manufacturers are all over the USA and parts are plentiful and the quality of the modern AR is simply outstanding, unlike any "american" AK.
AR ammunition is made here in the USA (for the most part) and we are not reliant on overseas manufacturers for AK ammo supplies.
ARs are much more easily obtainable here in the USA than any other assault rifle.

Now, this isn't to say you can't modify an AK out the wazooo to achieve comparable systems, heck, the Soviet Union did it a LONG time ago...adopting a 5.56 style round and modifying their AK rifles to offer some of the same functionality of the AR platform (drove St. Michael of Kalishnikov crazy, by the way), so does that tell you anything?? It should.

And full disclosure, my son has AK rifles (I gave him two of them) so I can have all the fun I want with his And, I bought him a BCM AR and ... he loves it. Says it is better in every way than his AK. :)

So, I'm now going to be selling off all my AK ammo, magazines and rifle and sticking with the AR platform.

And that's how I feel about that.

Last edited:
I've shot a few AK's, enough to know I didn't like the platform. Won a new AK at the NRA raffle and promptly sold it. Actually I liked the old SKS better.

I tried Sig 556, MSAR and an AR- AK hybrid and sold them. Kept the AR.

I'm a sucker for accuracy and good triggers! Hard to reject consistent sub moa groups with the AR, crisp 2.5 lb match trigger is a pleasure, and all it's other great attributes.

Actually my only complaint has been the slowish lock time, can't have everything.

i shot AKs for a LOOOOONG time.....and i loved them ( still do honestly).........but then i picked up an AR......and im convinced the AR is the better rifle.....

i love the 7.62 caliber, and i love the AK gas piston operating system..........but the Ergos of the AR are what sell it.

essentially i want an AK with the skin of an AR............oooooor a gas piston AR chambered in 7.62 with rock in mags.

something like a gas piston CMMG mutant would be perfect

The gas piston AR's are pretty sweet. I did a piston conversion on one a few years ago and it's a fantastic-shooting rifle! Had a few challenges with the handguard, but once converted, it's like a typewriter... goes bang every time.

I like both. They both have their uses. AR's are probably better overall. And I say 'probably' because they can be finicky. But for third-world army types... and simplicity, it's pretty hard to beat the AK.

I also love my AR180. Never knew why they didn't catch on early.... great ergonomics, reliable, everything you could ask for.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I also like the 7.62x39, but much prefer the SKS platform. Something about that rifle is just fun for me. Which reminds me that mine is currently apart since I buggered up the trigger group while doing a trigger change. Damn cheap pot metal crap! Now I have to buy a real trigger group for it.

I also like the 7.62x39, but much prefer the SKS platform. Something about that rifle is just fun for me. Which reminds me that mine is currently apart since I buggered up the trigger group while doing a trigger change. Damn cheap pot metal crap! Now I have to buy a real trigger group for it.

Agree.

7.62x39 and 300blackout 223/556 SBR ( Pistol ) for CQB ( home defense) I choose the 7.62x39 ( impact and penetrate , important is save $$$$ for thousand rounds ammo ) ;)

PWS 7" 7.62x39 Diablo

Attachments

• photo62650.jpg
    photo62650.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 18
  • photo62659.jpg
    photo62659.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 16
  • photo62660.jpg
    photo62660.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: