• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Why no love for HS Precision?

mosquitoshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2010
Hello all, I am a rifle crackhead and own many high-end rifles. One of my favorites is my HS precision pictured below. I am referring to the rifles. Not their stocks. If it's good enough for the FBI it's good enough for me. I have 3000 rounds through the sucker and it continues to be a hammer. Im curious why don't many others on this forum speak of hs precision.? I know they had a PR brain fart years back with the Horiuchi deal but I'm curious????

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
Good quality stocks, but there are others that a better suited for my needs.
Manners is my preferred stock of choice.

I never really cared for their stock profiles myself. I have one on a hunting rifle because it came on a used rifle that I practially stole. Its ok, but that is about it.

Honestly I won't ever buy one of their products since the whole Lon Horiuchi incident.

Some feel that way. Mine was bought right before all of that. I cannot deny however how perfect this rifle has been and am curious why people don't speak of the rifles

dam good stock for the money.....aluminum blocked.....carbon fiber...... used... 250$...where else you gonna get a stock like that to compare at that price....???.. I have had one split..... they replaced with a new one.....

I absolutely love my HS precision stock. I have never shot one of their rifles, but they look pretty darn good.

I still have an old HTR in 300wm. I haven't shot it in years but it is a great rifle. I have nothing bad to say about it. In fact, it is still one of the smoothest actions I've used.

Edit: old as in I just found the receipt for it and I bought it in 2002. It is built on their action, not old enough where they were still building them on 700 actions.

Last edited:
I love their stocks. Would liked to have a take down rifle for travel. But damn they are high. I dont like the horiuchi ties. Though and that pissed alot of people off. A couple years back at the shot show and im not 100% i think he was at there booth like i said not for sure if it was hs but i thought it was. but i know he was there. and randy weaver was somewhere in the building as well so. that was weird. But some people swore em off after the endorsement and i dont blame em.

Yeah that seemed to have pissed off a lot of folks.

I did not particularly care for the 1st gen DBM/magazines on the older HTRs, but used the hell out of 'em anyway.

Their current DBM and magazines are an improvement, but I'd rather use about any other DBM that uses AI magazines.

The McMillan and Manners stock profiles look/feel better IMO, but the stock on the HTR works OK, has adj LOP and cheekrest height, seems strong enough in the action area, etc.

They seem to shoot well, but suffered from having a few part limitations which I think turned most people away.

Their magazines were a well known weakness in the system for years, with bending feed lips and other problems. The AICS magazine is far superior, so their use of a proprietary, less robust system led many away from them.

The stock, again proprietary, is not the best choice for many people. Is it bad? No, just not ideal.

With the ability to have a gun built by a custom builder with the best components in the industry, there was not as much interest in the HS Precision product for many. For factory built rifles, the AI and TRG are generally considered superior in terms or durability and are easily equal in accuracy.

I have shot several HS Precision rifles. They all shot well, but I would not buy one instead of one of my GAPs or AIs.
As for the "good enough for the FBI/military" argument....well that just doesn't hold any water in many cases.

I just got done shooting 60rds of my 17" .260 w/o a brake #7 profile barrel. Its in a 5R take off.

Managing the recoil is way more difficult with that gun in my HS .vs my T4A. Granted the T4A is adjustable. Getting comfortable behind the HS is near impossible. I'm 6'3".

That being said, My .260 is a hunting rifle now so I rarely shoot it prone so the HS is adequate.

I would be real frustrated shooting a 5R take off in a match.

Have owned two years ago like 6 or so both HTR's one in 300wm and the other in 308, Never could get on with the 300wm just REALLY picky with loads and ended up selling it on...

the .308 was an absolute hammer, very accurate, repeatable and good all around although mine came with a 28" barrel (was a custom order that someone flaked on) so was a beast to carry around. I ended up selling it to a friend when and regretted ever doing it he still has it to this day and has won several comps using it and my old hand loads.

I have an AI now and love it but always liked my HTR

I shot one in 300 win mag. It was a hammer and more of the lightweight hunting profile.

The stocks for me look decent and seem to perform well but I prefer the profiles of others.

I personally can't think of a company I respect less than HS Precision, and in a world with tacticalrifles.net, that's saying something.

Just had a read of the Ruby Ridge incident.

Makes a compelling read.

Are you guys saying that you don't buy HS because they supply the FBI?
Or have they outwardly supported and endorsed the actions?

The FBI snipers name was Lon horiuchi. He was later put on hs precisions website as an FBI employee saying that he endorses their products and the FBI effectively endorses their guns. A major PR brain fart by hs precision to have his name associated with them.

I've shot two and they were the FBI models and were hammers, great workmanship. I didn't care for the stock, it was mile better than the PSS but not as good as a McM or Manners.

Last edited:
I have 3 Rem700VS models. All have HS stocks. Like it was said where else can you find a stock for $250? For the money its worth it. I have their bottom metal on my Nesika/Mcmillan 260 and Ive had great results. Everyone has their favorites. If you shoots good for you and you like the feel thats really what matters.

The FBI snipers name was Lon horiuchi. He was later put on hs precisions website as an FBI employee saying that he endorses their products and the FBI effectively endorses their guns. A major PR brain fart by hs precision to have his name associated with them.
That is less than a half truth. They pursued him and hired him after Ruby Ridge, it was not a "PR mistake" and it was not just a random FBI endorsement that happened to be Horiuchi. You need to check your facts.

That is less than a half truth. They pursued him and hired him after Ruby Ridge, it was not a "PR mistake" and it was not just a random FBI endorsement that happened to be Horiuchi. You need to check your facts.

And you need Kiss my ass!! I wasn't making a statement that they were in the right!! Whatever it was, they fucked up. I'm not vouching for them. I was merely giving context for those that had no idea about the situation.

Yeah ok.

I read the Wiki but missed the HS endorsement.

Crazy Crazy.... why would you open yourselves up for that kind of criticism? Even worse when you consider they are Heavily Tactical based Stocks.... I was considering their thumbhole tactical but man, I'll look else where!

If they make their rifles anything like they make their stocks, you couldn't give me one. I know a lot of people praise HS stocks, but I will never buy another HS product again. I have so much DEVCON on my stock from it falling apart from every little ding or bang its ever got. I dropped my stock once while starting the paint process and the front of the stock literally broke off. I had to rebuild it with DEVCON. While it was a couple of years ago, I had a thread on this forum where the stock fell apart just trying to put in the bottom metal. What ever material they use on the outside of the stock, it is garbage. Aside from the controversy of using an FBI sniper who has cost the federal government Millions in civil penalties due to shooting people, I won't buy their product because it is a sub-par product.