• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why no Mod. 52s?

Quarter Horse

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2010
    Carlton, OR
    I've been thinking of a .22 trainer so have been watching this board and info on Savage, CZ, 40X, 54, 64 etc. Why nothing on the Win. Mod. 52? With Remington and Anschutz in the mix it can't be about money and many of the 52s are magazine fed.

Re: Why no Mod. 52s?

Cabela's gun library has a page full right now, the one I'm interested in would the the International model, but I am a collector.....xray9

I would think cost is the main reason, most Win 52s I see are quite expensive. It seems the Savage and CZ rifles are most popular and both are sub $500. The Rem 40X is more expensive but mimics the Rem 700 so it is worth the cost for some.

I have a 52 sitting in the back of the safe if you are looking. I have a stock but it is not in it because it is wearing a octagon heavy barrel right now. Original owner did that. It is the mag fed version.

Nothing wrong with them at all... another classic fantastic.

Whatever happened to the Remington 541X's? I have one and it's phenominal for accuracy. BTW, so was my 541S.

I rock a Mossberg M44 from the CMP, got it for 149 bucks and that thing makes me carlos hathcock

The reason you don't see 52's modded out is the fact they're worth some big coin.
    That is if you have a original Win 52 like me.

Omitting Mossberg and the 541 was not intentional. There are lots of great .22s out there other than the ones I mentioned.

I also understand that the 52 is considered a collectable and some would not want to do anything to modify one but many have already been modified and consequently the collector value has been greatly diminished.

I've spent my life with an interest in SxS shotguns and prices at companies like Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops are in the ether and rarely represent the knowledgeable market. I've owned a couple of 52s and fully agree that the values have gone up but if you buy carefully there are still ones available for under the $750.00 mark.

So again, why no 52s?

Because my 52' with Iron sights will smoke your CZ's with a scope so what's the point?

If I was to going to change a 52' it would have to be one of the remakes. Not a original. Not to mention at a $750 price tag before mods that's a little steep IMO.

My guess is they are not drilled and tapped for conventional scope mounts. Most are D/T for either receiver sites or Unertl type. Never owned one but think the E was the only one actually drilled and tapped on receiver. Some D models maybe but they are single shot only also. A company in FL makes a mount that doesn't alter the gun but don't know how practical it is for training that most want here. Just my .02 cents worth!

I didin't go 52 because I needed a Remington 700 based action to mimic my .308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you imagine a 52 with a krylon camo paint job...yeah I thought not.

I'd love to have one though...you don't see Remington 37's for the same reason.

They belong on bags shooting BR or slung up in someone's shooting jacket. Being given the respect they deserve...not out bashing off of rocks and trees.

JMHO.
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

I use a Mod., 37 Rem. To be fair though, I got it very used, with an irregularly angled muzzle (hacksawed), trigger was pretty bad, stock needed work, etc.
    I cost me very little, so I brought it back into usable condition.
    Rem37After001.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your a lucky man, Mike. Did you say you had it recrowned? I bet that's a shooter for sure! Do you have the cool spring loaded single shot mag? </div></div>

Thanks. It was scary on the GS rack as it wouldn't stay cocked when you worked the bolt.
    Former owner tried adjusting the trigger, I guess, and it was snafu. I got it adjusted with a minimum of trouble.
    Yes I had it recrowned and it shoots well.
    I have the single shot adapter, I also bought a few spare mags (Ebay) and hope I never have to do that again($$$).
    wink.gif

they cost too much and they are too collectible if in the correct version.

i have a pre a model 52 from 1932. too pretty to beatup and shoots tiny little groups

40x's make sense to use for those that have to have a 700 clone trainer. The will drop in a 700 stock with little effort. I dont see the rationale myself, but to each its own i guess.
    BTW, thanks to all those out there butching them up. My pristine all stock 40 keeps climbing in value.

Im a big 52 fan. Actually, they are trainers, just look at their history both in the military and civilian use and competition. The transition from a 52 marksman stock to a model 70 marksman stock is basically seamless.
    I have had a few Rem 37's over the years. They are nice, but they dont hold a candle to a Win 52 of the same vintage in accuracy, fit, finish, stock comfort and most certainlly trigger quality. A Win52 Marksman2a Stock is a prone dream IMO.

It's good to see 52's NOT chopped into these so called 700 clone trainers. For the money I have seen thrown at these trainers, I cant see where getting a MicMill Rem contour stock to fit would be all that much more. I still cringe at the thought....