• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why no pew?

Darkhorse1

Red crayons are the best
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2018
Phoenix
Not had failure to fire until recently with a new action. I know there’s already a thread on light strikes, but I think what I experienced is different. CCI 41 new Lapua brass etc. ran it twice and no pew. Does anyone have insight as to why? I’d think the spring weight would be a problem but not on 2nd attempt. Primer was definitely seated properly etc.

Attachments

• 9342A89B-2E1B-41A4-A7FB-99A7E91B1BDA.jpeg
    9342A89B-2E1B-41A4-A7FB-99A7E91B1BDA.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 63
If it's a Nucleus, read the thread, but also, try to take the bolt apart, clean it all thoroughly with brake cleaner, and put it back together.

Mine has had this problem for a while. I thought it was cured and then it happened again today. I need to get in the habit of doing it after every range trip. Which is $%@&ing bull$#!+ but that's another story for a different day.

Forget to fill the case with powder?
I had a failure to fire a few weeks back - sure enough, I missed dropping powder in the case. First time in fifty years of reloading. Fortunately the bullet stayed in the case. With hearing protection and a can on the end of the barrel, I didn't hear anything more than what I thought was a dry-fire snap. JMG, I think you may have called it correctly. When I did the autopsy on my failure to fire, I determined that the the way that the primer gets a concave appearance on the second attempt is an indication that the primer pellet ignited on the first attempt and the empty primer just caved on the second try.