• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why not alloy?

Jedi5150

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Marina, CA
What is the downside of alluminum rings and rails/ bases? They are corrosion proof, lightweight, and with companies like Badger, they appear to be bomp-proof as well. I understand that steel is stronger, but has anyone ever heard of durability problems with alloy rails and rings from Badger? I guess I'm just confused as to why they aren't more popular than they are.

This is an honest question, not meant to start a flame war. I'm in the market for rings and a rail and I can't see any reason not to buy a set of alloy ones from Badger.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Why not alloy?

I like a a steel base (esp. on harder kicking calibers) and aluminum rings.

The steel base will stiffen the action and will really stiffen it if you bed the base properly. It will also deflect less and tend to stay flatter if you don't bed it.

Aluminum is also fine for a base if you want to save some weight, but will tend to warp badly if your receiver is not perfect, and none are.
Bed it and that problem is solved.

The aluminum rings will not marr the scope tube as much as alum.

If it's on a very hard kicker, steel all the way.

Re: Why not alloy?

Quality aluminum products are just fine.