• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why not- how about we start a Project Appleseed thread for 2024

IMG_3840.jpeg

It was a really fun Appleseed. I learned there is a new Rifleman patch coming out, the Caleñteseed…..it’s the opposite of the one they give out when it’s “freezing cold” out.

And for the Woman on the patch; a true Patriot.

Born in Dunstable, Massachusetts,[2] she was the daughter of Prudence and Samuel Cummings. She had two brothers who pledged allegiance to the crown (Samuel and Thomas) while her youngest brother Benjamin) was a Patriot; also two sisters (Mary and Sibbel).[2] Her father was the town clerk. Prudence was a patriot, but many of her family members were loyal to the British crown. In 1761, she married David Wright, a private in the American militia, an ardent Whig, and strong believer in independence.[2]

The two had eleven children—David, Prudence, Cummings, Mary, Wilkes, Caroline, Liberty, Deverd, Liberty, Artemas, and Daniel.[3] Mary and the first Liberty did not survive childhood. She joined the Congregationalist church in 1770.[4]

According to a legend printed in 1899, Wright was elected by the townsfolk to command a women's militia known as the Mrs. David Wright's Guard, based in Pepperell, Massachusetts.[3][4] The group consisted of about 30 or 40 local Patriot women, whose husbands were mostly members of the regular militia ordered to march towards Boston after the Battles of Lexington and Concord. The women dressed in their husbands' clothes and carried "anything that would serve as a potential weapon", including pitchforks.[3] Wright appointed Sarah Hartwell Shattuck of Groton, Massachusetts, as her lieutenant[1]and began organizing patrols of the town and the surrounding area.[4] The two directed the arrest of loyalist spies (two of Wright's own brothers) at Jewett's Bridge over the Nashua River in April 1775.[3]

Wright and her group apprehended Captain Leonard Whiting of Hollis, New Hampshire—a noted Loyalist—as he passed the bridge on horseback. He was held prisoner overnight in a Pepperell tavern before being moved to Groton where he was taken into custody.[1]Based on a family legend, Wright's brother, Samuel Cummings, was with Whiting on the day of his capture, but he turned back once he sighted his sister in arms at the bridge.[1][5]

Although women were not to be paid for militia service, in 1777 the town convened a committee to compensate Mrs. David Wright's Guard (whom they called Leonard Whiting's Guard) for their actions.[3] Leonard Whiting was a British Army officer and a friend of the two arrested spies.[3]

On March 19, 1777, Prudence Wright's guard was paid 7 pounds, 17 shillings, and sixpence by the Town of Pepperell's Committee of Estimation. The Town Meeting Minutes referred to her guard as Leonard Whiting's Guard because women could not overtly be paid for services performed during the revolution.

Re: teaching at Appleseed (and elsewhere)

In high school I encountered the worst teacher of my life. It was in a calculus course. One day the class, including me, wasn’t understanding what the teacher was explaining.

Exasperated, she turned from the chalkboard and in an irritated tone she said to the whole class, “I just don’t understand why you are not getting this!?”

Parenthood has taught me one of the hardest-to-accept lessons that I have ever learned (and forgotten, relearned, over and over). A lesson that math teacher above had not yet learned.

This lesson is summed up by a quote attributed to Confucius:

“In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Modoc
Was anyone able to knock out an Appleseed for a Patriots' Day weekend?

-LD
Me.

I celebrated Patriot's Day by attending Sunday only. That's a different experience and I would not do that again nor would I recommend it. It's like showing up to a movie 3/4's of the way through and after the sex scene. It took me most of the day to get into the shooting and the Appleseed groove.

I struggled with major feeding issues all day. I had replaced the ruger receiver with a Feddersen and had only shot it to get a zero. With it's tighter tolerances, it needs to be broken in. Plus, I need to learn how to properly seat a mag for that receiver. There were times the frustration was so high that I wanted to go home.

A rifleman persists and I did (that was my win of the day). Fate smiled on me on the 2nd AQT of the day. I had feeding issues on the 2 prone stages and that I was able to resolve in the time cap, including loading rounds back into the magazine. Being able to find my NPOA and generally correct it quickly saved my keister. I scored a 249.

I'm sure that the instructors were losing their mind with me. I kept hearing my name for safety violations. That's one of the big problems with just showing up on Sunday. I was still in a CMP Service Rifle competition mindset and hadn't adjusted to the Appleseed safety protocol. Add onto that I was futzing around extracting rounds, loading them in the mag, and doing all sorts of rifle and magazine remediation during the course of fire.

Then, there is my speed. NPOA is one of the greatest gifts that Appleseed has shared with me. Once I get my NPOA, I'll trust it completely and shoot very fast. I'm sure it looks like I'm doing a mag dump but my rounds are on target and very often right on top of each other. The Appleseed NPOA process is a powerful tool.

Here's my target .....

Appleseed 249.jpg