• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why on the right side?

kill_goose

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2010
MT
I was thinking of this today.

Why is it that the windage turret on scopes is on the right side?

Considering theres a higher percentage of the population thats right handed, wouldnt it made more ergonomic sense to have that knob on the left side? I know for me, I work both turrets with the left hand to keep control of the weapon with my trigger hand, this forces me to reach over the scope to dial wind. Would be much more convenient I think to have it on the left side.

Is there any particular reason it is the way it is?

Re: Why on the right side?

I think it's for off hand, you'd support the rifle with your left hand and adjust the scope with your right.

I don't shoot off hand much so I had USO set up my scope left handed, works much better off a bipod or rucksack for me. As a bonus I can see the windage and elevation knobs with my left eye and know where I'm at on both.

goose-
its more about the steady hold than keeping your finger on the trigger. My left hand controls the rear bag, the bipod supports the front of my rifle. I stay on target, on my cheekweld much easier if my trigger hand moves rather than my support hand moves when prone.

An AR loads itself but you must work the bolt on most scoped rifles. Since the trigger hand works the bolt might as well have it fuss with the knobs too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stop Dialing wind and it will cease to be a issue... Wind changes to fast, hold for it. </div></div>

This, or get you a USO.

For righty handed folks the left hand is just that, your support hand. Not all shots taken are prone or even supported for that matter. Try shouldering your rifle standing, unsupported, and think of what it would be like to make a windage adjustment if the knob was on the left side it would be a bitch to support the rifle strong hand only.

Off hand? Try ANY slung position as well. Right hand free, left hand NOT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stop Dialing wind and it will cease to be a issue... Wind changes to fast, hold for it. </div></div>

This.

+1....visualize drift, hold for it and shoot..

Dialing wind is just not feasible if the wind is constantly changing or if you are shooting in constant conditions at different distances. Even when I shoot F class matches where we are at a constant distance, I still hold my windage.