• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why open carry is not (always) a good idea.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I always felt that open carry was an invitation to trouble. I I were about to commit a crime/shooting, the first one I'd shoot would be the one with the gun. Concealed is a much better choice and you'll draw less attention in general. Video of the actual event at the bottom.

==============================================

MI: Detroit Suspect Snatched Open Carry Pistol Off Bystander ~ VIDEO​

Ammoland Inc. Posted on March 28, 2021 by Dean Weingarten

U.S.A.-(AmmoLand.com)- On 28 January, a young man in a red hoodie snatched a pistol from a man openly carrying it, in Detroit, Michigan. The robbery occurred in the BP gas station at Seven Mile and Wyoming Ave. A confederate held the store door open. It was unclear if there was another confederate in the getaway vehicle. The getaway vehicle did not have a rear license plate.

Google maps BP at Seven Mile and Wyoming, cropped and scaled by Dean Weingarten
    The man openly carrying the pistol was identified as being 53 years old. The surveillance video, released on 20 February, reportedly by the Detroit Police Department, shows the snatch. The open carry victim is busy at the counter with his wallet in his hand.
    It appears the crime was not a crime of opportunity, but was planned. The perpetrator in the red hoodie does not have to discern the pistol and make a decision. The snatch is done as soon as the pistol is seen. The perpetrator appears to know what is available and what he is going to do.
    The pistol appears to be in a simple clip-on holster, which is merely clipped to a pocket. There does not appear to be any retention strap. The image of the black pistol, in a black holster against black pants makes resolution of the details difficult.
    Screenshot of image from video surveillance released by the police, cropped and scaled by Dean Weingarten
    Some early accounts indicated the thief pointed the stolen gun at the owner. That is incorrect. The gun pointed at the owner is a different gun with an extended magazine. The thief was prepared for the robbery in advance.
    The resolution of the video makes it difficult to determine if the thief snatched the pistol in the holster or snatched the pistol from the holster.
    Screenshot of image from video surveillance released by the police, cropped and scaled by Dean Weingarten
    It is difficult to stop a crime that is well planned, with confederates, to take advantage of a vulnerability. In this case, the man at the counter had his attention occupied, his hands occupied with his wallet, and the pistol had very little retention.
    The robber was armed with their own deadly weapon, or reasonable facsimile thereof.
    Kofi Kenyatta tells fox2detroit there is a current backlog of applications for concealed pistol licenses in Wayne County, Michigan, where Detroit is located.

===============================

Open carry with poor situational awareness and without a retention holster is a bad idea.

Bad guys don’t come in and scout out everybody in a building for open carried guns though, so I don’t buy into the “you’re going to be the first target” idea.

I'm refuse to pay 130 for a license to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. I open carry in a retention holster amd don't go to shitholes and always aware of my surroundings. I cant always know what's gonna happen, but I dont go to the shitholes around here.

Doc

What the heck? 1) The guy who gets his gun stolen runs towards the perp???? 2) now all of a sudden it has a 33 round magazine or doth my eyes play tricks upon me this morning?

Open carry in the 4-5 O'clock (RH) seem to be more ripe for this than if they were carrying 2-3 (granted, most people don't carry that way OWB unless they have shoulder/back issues). Definitely looks like they noticed the weapon before entry and decided to take it. Probably realized guy wasn't situationally aware.

Another city with > 50 years of dem-commie "leadership."

Confederate =
    a person, group, nation, etc., united with others in a confederacy; an ally.
    an accomplice, especially in a mischievous or criminal act.

Not ideal but some states try to restrict the right by limiting to only open carry.

They do this with the hope people will not want to carry to avoid being a spectacle and they do it despite knowing they make the carrier a target.

Not ideal but I wouldnt condemn someone that does.

lol a lot of retards in this thread shitting on OC who have never OC'd in their lives.

OC is fine......you need situational awareness, you should have training in weapons retention......you should have a level 2 holster minimum.

frankly you should have all those attributes with CC as well.......if you are relying on just a T-shirt to protect your gun, you are a fucking moron as well.

i OC because its more comfortable, i can carry a bigger gun, and because i fucking can.......if you want to do some Freudian analysis comparing OC to dick size.....well.....you might just be a homo if you think about other dudes dicks that much.

that being said, i wouldnt OC if i lived in a ghetto shit hole like detroit...a gun may be mighty, but a pack of ghetto goblins with pipes or some shit is mightier.

Not ideal but some states try to restrict the right by limiting to only open carry.

They do this with the hope people will not want to carry to avoid being a spectacle and they do it despite knowing they make the carrier a target.

I dont give a shit of what people think of or about me. Keyboard commandos can talk shit all day and I wouldn't miss a stride.

Doc

Reactions: Sandhog308
    I will condemn someone who does it while using a sausage sack to carry the pistol, in a body position that is difficult to defend, and in a gas station in metro detroit.

He wins the triple crown of doing stupid things, in stupid places, around stupid people

I will condemn someone who does it while using a sausage sack to carry the pistol, in a body position that is difficult to defend, and in a gas station in metro detroit.

He wins the triple crown of doing stupid things, in stupid places, around stupid people

Okay if you want to get technical...you have a point.

No matter the situation.....free fire zone or amongst a group of highly trained operators....if you carry - carry responsibly.

Thats a different concept that applies universally though.

in my experience, OC normally goes unnoticed. but yeah, SA, retention, etc.

one nice thing about VA, at least currently, is you can cc or oc, so if you cc and your shirt or jacket stops hiding the gun (or prints), no big deal, at least legally.

Reactions: DROWN
    Open carry is for assholes who need to prove something. If I were an armed criminal looking to rob or shoot up a place that would be the first person I would target.

So... I should conceal carry in podunk Arkansas? Because a cow or coyote might come snag it off me?

Take care using absolutes to insult others you disagree with, might come off looking like an arrogant a-hole yourself.

Reactions: DROWN and ...
    So... I should conceal carry in podunk Arkansas? Because a cow or coyote might come snag it off me?

Take care using absolutes to insult others you disagree with, might come off looking like an arrogant a-hole yourself.
    More likely you're going to get mugged by one of the millions of chickens down south of you in Chickendale :). I'd be leery of that poultry...sneaky critters.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Sandhog308
    More likely you're going to get mugged by one of the millions of chickens down south of you in Chickendale :). I'd be leery of that poultry...sneaky critters.

Nah, they don't mug you. They just shit on you if you walk within' 20ft of the trailer. They're like shit snipers.

• Haha
    Reactions: BytorJr