• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why so many?

chadg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
foothills of the ozarks.
Just curious,why so many ss 5-20 for sale in the optics thread?
Are they not wat everyone expected,or was it just the new thing and had to have one?

Re: Why so many?

I imagine that with the long backorder time some people found something different, maybe had some financial issues, decided they just didn't want it, or some combination of the above.

I see one SS 5-20 for every 4 or 5 Nightforce scopes...
Maybe they were just trying to make some money??

Some guys that are just starting out in long range shooting use them as a stepping stone. Then as they progress in the sport they tend to buy higher-end products. Sometimes it's due to wanting different options, sometimes due to wanting something more "TactiCool", and sometimes its just vanity.

I started out with a SWFA SS 10-42.... There wasn't anything wrong with the scope when I moved up to a high-end scope. I just wanted something with more features....

JM2C

Hugo

Probably b/c of several things:

1. They were/area fantastic deal at the $1000 special offer price and guys couldn't help but order more than 1 and got in over their budgets.

2. The wait was long and they picked up other optics in the mean time to suite their needs.

3. They wanted to try one out and preferred their current platform or other. It's a great optic, but not the end-all, be-all.

4. They picked up extra ones to pass a good deal on to Hide members while covering the cost of another purchase. The $1250 price they are getting is like $250 (about 17%) off normal price. So if you wanted one.. grab one, it's still a deal. If SWFA put them up for $1250 this weekend I'm sure a ton of guys would jump on that offer.

I have yet to read a bad review of the SS, and I own two of them. The are as you can read, excellent optics for the price and above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PharmerJon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Maybe they were just trying to make some money?? </div></div>

I personally know a couple people that bought them just to flip them and make some cash. Kinda messed up for SWFA to offer such a good deal to hide members and then they take advantage of SWFA just to turn around and make a quick buck off a fellow shooter.

If you bought it and decided to list it up because you don't like it, or ordered something else during the wait its one thing to list it up for a little more. Not everybody got the $1000 price either so that's another thing to keep in mind. I'm just saying though that the people who bought them at the $1000 price just to flip them are pretty fucked up.

Why are they?
There is nothing wrong with buying something and flipping it......
They had the resource ( ie. The money ). They bought the scope ( took a risk ). Then they made profit..

Alot guys bought more then one. One to keep and one to sell

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why are they?
They had the resource ( ie. The money ). They bought the scope ( took a risk ). Then they made profit.. </div></div>

Let's take the example of the guy who bought 11 of them so he could sell 10 for $100 profit each and end up with a free scope for himself. That's 10 people who won't be buying the scope for $1500 from SWFA.

If I were SWFA and held the group buy, my intention would be to give Hide members a valuable discount for their own personal needs. I would be a little annoyed that, instead, there were now so many people competing with me and undercutting my own regular prices. There are so many people doing this that it's noticeable on the Hide forums, and there are probably many flipping them elsewhere too. One wonders when SWFA will ever be able to sell these at regular price again.

That's just a theory of course. Maybe SWFA doesn't care at all and the $1000 is like a wholesale price to them and all the people in the group buy are little mini-dealers spreading the Super Sniper brand to the world.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why are they?
They had the resource ( ie. The money ). They bought the scope ( took a risk ). Then they made profit.. </div></div>

Let's take the example of the guy who bought 11 of them so he could sell 10 for $100 profit each and end up with a free scope for himself. That's 10 people who won't be buying the scope for $1500 from SWFA.

If I were SWFA and held the group buy, my intention would be to give Hide members a valuable discount for their own personal needs. I would be a little annoyed that, instead, there were now so many people competing with me and undercutting my own regular prices. There are so many people doing this that it's noticeable on the Hide forums, and there are probably many flipping them elsewhere too. One wonders when SWFA will ever be able to sell these at regular price again.

That's just a theory of course. Maybe SWFA doesn't care at all and the $1000 is like a wholesale price to them and all the people in the group buy are little mini-dealers spreading the Super Sniper brand to the world. </div></div>

I agree buying something it and flipping it is one thing, but taking advantage of SWFA in this manner when they're just trying to help forum members get a deal is another. Whatever though, they're the ones that have to live with it though they probably don't care. I just see it as being dishonest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a lot of guys are like me...optic whores!

</div></div>

This makes sense......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree buying something it and flipping it is one thing, but taking advantage of SWFA in this manner when they're just trying to help forum members get a deal is another. </div></div>

I have thought about this situation for a while and my thoughts are as following. We are making the assumption that SWFA was either deceived by folks into thinking that they were buying several scopes for personal use or caught by the short and curlies when people started to buy many scopes each on their offer when this was not expected.

Since nothing prevented SWFA from making the offer limited to one per customer and this is not an uncommon practice for promotional deals I would be surprised if SWFA was the least caught off guard by the secondary market generated. I would also be very surprised if no profit was made when selling scopes at the discounted rate.

Bottom line, I don't think any misrepresentation was made on the part of those reselling the scopes and I don't think they are doing anything disreputable. I also think highly enough of the folks at SWFA that I won't presume that they were caught unawares with their pants down by this turn of events.

All that being said, I'm a but surprised that these scopes are fetching $1250 second hand but new currently. While a light optics made 5-25x scope is no doubt worth this I would have thought that with so much supply of these $1000 purchased scopes the price would have been closer to $1100.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why are they?

That's just a theory of course. Maybe SWFA doesn't care at all and the $1000 is like a wholesale price to them and all the people in the group buy are little mini-dealers spreading the Super Sniper brand to the world. </div></div>

I agree buying something it and flipping it is one thing, but taking advantage of SWFA in this manner when they're just trying to help forum members get a deal is another. Whatever though, they're the ones that have to live with it though they probably don't care. I just see it as being dishonest. </div></div>

You guys are way to naive.....
Let me explain business 101 to you. SFWA is a dealer ( distributer ) They did not just offer a group buy to Sniper's HIde only out of the goodness of their heart...They probably went to the manufacture and secured a much better price if they bought Quantity. They made money at 1,000.00 and had the cooperation of the Manufacture. They called it a special group buy to get around MAP pricing. They could care less If guys bought 10 and sold them. The more the the better. You have to look outside your world. 50 to 100 scopes are nothing in the grand scheme. In fact 500 would not even scratch the surface of effecting supply / demand curve.

The question that should be raised is ..... If they retail for $1,500.00 but can be sold for 1,000.00 That is a great mark up...

It is not wrong or unethical to buy something at a great deal and flip it for more...
I wish I would have bought more FORD stock when it was on sale. If you have the means buy LOW and sell HIGH....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

From SWFA's reply in the main group buy thread it doesn't seem like they minded too much: "We had one guy with excellent foresight that bought 11..."

Time to call the IRS, some back door business action going on, I'm sure they want theirs too...
cool.gif

Surprised the hide itself doesn't consider this a no no, don't businesses have to pay to play here?

Just to play a bit of the devil's advocate, since we're learning about business and all
grin.gif

I really dont see what the deal would be to purchase something in a group buy in quantity, and sell it off to make some money as well. I mean seriously, what could this be doing to rip off SWFA. If they chose to put a reduced price on something, they are doing so with the intent to sell it faster, but at a reduced profit. The price SWFA chooses is most likely low enough to spawn interest, but high enough to still cover their overhead. The guy buying 11 and jacking up the price, well? Thats part of free enterprise. SWFA gets what they want (the purchase of the product), and the person who if flipping them will get what he wants. If someone would be willing to pay a higher of one at full retail price then thats on them. They say that there is an ass for every seat.

You'd need to buy 11, and sell 10, at the going markup (200.00 to 250.00 just to make it worth the effort.

Let see... $10,000 "invested" in June and waiting for 5 months or much, much more, in hopes of a 20% return. In those 5 months, a guy could have done that 10 different times in the stock market. "<span style="font-style: italic">money on the shelf is not money in the bank"</span>.

Need a scope, buy a scope!

This doesn't hurt SWFA in the least. The idea of a sale is to "sell". I bet they wished that everyone who bought 1 had bought 11. You basically get a distributorship that requires zero management/cost and it puts your product in the hands of a bunch of, hopefully happy customers and a legend is born.

Genius... Those SWFA folks should be running the country!

Jesus people i wasnt trying to start a argument about ethics...Personally i could give a shit less if someone bought a 100 of them and sold 99....My question was simply were they not what people expected....Im sorry i even started this topic...Now enough with all the ethical unethical jibber jabber....Move on there is nothing else to see.................

You're right 467. The only thing I'd add is a correction to a post above. SWFA is the owner of the Super Sniper brand. Sure, they may have got a quantity break, but they're not getting around anybody's MAP price because they are the only ones who sell SS scopes.

FWIW, I had one and sold it. It is a great scope, even @ $1500. I just did not like the mag range. If SWFA comes out with a 3-12 version it will be way more likely to end up on a rifle of mine for a very long time. They could even do a 3.5-14.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why are they?

I agree buying something it and flipping it is one thing, but taking advantage of SWFA in this manner when they're just trying to help forum members get a deal is another. Whatever though, they're the ones that have to live with it though they probably don't care. I just see it as being dishonest. </div></div>

You guys are way to naive.....
</div></div>

I guess you didn't read my last paragraph, even though you quoted it, because that's where I entertained the possibility that SWFA was in fact 100% fine with it.