• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why the push for a switch barrel rifle?

Real talk

Long range junkie
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2014
i don’t see the point, am I missing something ? Why don’t you leave your barrel on, scope zeroed, and burn the barrel out? I think this is just a push to sell more rifles and start a new Trend that doesn’t need to be started. But that’s just my thoughts. Maybe someone has better thoughts.

For me it's the ability to have a couple of calibers to suit the situation. Only having the one rifle I was able to build this one as a top shelf rig. One of the last matches I went to it was windy as hell, I wish I had my 7SAUM stuff with me that day. I would have spun it on and beat the hell out of myself and the wind with it. I'd love to have a full build in 22x47, 6x47, 308, and 7MM SAUM. But at nearly $8k per complete setup, or $8k plus $1k for barrel, dies, reamer....... for each additional caliber.

So yeah switch barrels are not the best solution, but for me it's the solution that works. I will eventually add another rig to the stable eventually, it's hard enough to talk the CFO into one high dollar rig let alone multiple.

For me it's the ability to have a couple of calibers to suit the situation. Only having the one rifle I was able to build this one as a top shelf rig. One of the last matches I went to it was windy as hell, I wish I had my 7SAUM stuff with me that day. I would have spun it on and beat the hell out of myself and the wind with it. I'd love to have a full build in 22x47, 6x47, 308, and 7MM SAUM. But at nearly $8k per complete setup, or $8k plus $1k for barrel, dies, reamer....... for each additional caliber.

So yeah switch barrels are not the best solution, but for me it's the solution that works. I will eventually add another rig to the stable eventually, it's hard enough to talk the CFO into one high dollar rig let alone multiple.

Thank you for the reply, and I completely understand that ! I didn’t think of it that way. How do you deal with the scope and re zero ?

That is one of my favorite things about the L-TEC turrets on the Vortex AMG, I have the zero's in my log book. Turn to zero, pull the caps, loosen set screw, set zero.... The 6mm and 22 actually have the same zero, the 308 is a half MIL low. In many cases I don't even reset for the 308, unless it's going to be in a match or stressful condition.

I've got a pair of matched actions and multiple different barrels in different calibers. Different calibers for different purposes, 223 trainer, a couple match barrels to choose from, a 7SAUM barrel for long range, some match caliber barrels that are past "match grade" life but are still good for practice or as a loaner/backup gun if I'm bringing someone new to a match. I also have a traditional Manners stock w/ mini-chassis as well as an MPA competition chassis. Basically can build almost any gun I want out of the parts easily, and having a pair of actions/scopes helps cut down on the number of barrel swaps.

Today's range trip involved checking zero on the match gun for an upcoming match this weekend, then rezeroing the 223 trainer in the Manner stock since I'd swapped chassis for a range day recently. Then burning a bunch of 223 rounds for barricade practice. The match gun had a different barrel/different caliber on in last week since I was doing load development for a new barrel to a different bullet.

As far as how to keep track of zero, I draw myself a little target on a sheet of paper and label the POI of each barrel and map out how many mils from each other. With the "map" it's easy to visualize where the bullet will impact after swapping barrels so you can make corrections and be very close to on target with the first round. It's repeatable within a tenth or two and makes it quick to set zero and get to business. I even have a way to mount my barrel vise on a trailer hitch and have done barrel swaps at the range.

One high end scope, one high end rifle, one manual of arms, different calibers. Makes it cheaper in the long run. And easier to train on. Plus if you get the itch to try a new caliber you can usually just have a barrel spun up and you're off.

I've got 223 trainer barrel, 308/260/6.5 Creed barrels for comps, 300wm for hunting or long range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One high end scope, one high end rifle, one manual of arms, different calibers. Makes it cheaper in the long run. And easier to train on. Plus if you get the itch to try a new caliber you can usually just have a barrel spun up and you're off.

I've got 223 trainer barrel, 308/260/6.5 Creed barrels for comps, 300wm for hunting or long range.

^this
its much cheaper to run one quality switch barrel than a bunch of assorted single caliber guns, each with their own optic. I run the SRS Covert, I have 223,300blk,260,6.5CM,308,7SAUM,300WM,338LM all in the same rifle, same trigger, same scope. I can switch between any of them in less than a minute, and they all shoot sub 1/2MOA. How much would that cost to build all those calibers separately, and outfit them?
That is why multicaliber rifles are spreading like fire.

I suppose I'll repeat what everyone already said but in my own way.
For my circumstances I want to dive deeper into matches and I like hunting so I can go from my heavier barrel in one of the 6 or 6.5 offerings to a proof in a diff caliber like 7SAUM, 7WSM, 300wsm or whatever pick your poison for whatever game you I go into the mountains for (elk, deer etc). Also have a son coming to age that I would like to start shooting on a bigger cartridge so now I got a barrel in .223 so we can use that to plink and hunt coyotes with etc. and it's cheaper to reload for and barrel life is very reasonable.
And of course 1 optic for the gun and just log your zero shift. And of course I'm not spending on multiple guns to accomplish the same thing. And you can do all this with basic knowledge of tools and don't deal with lead times sending it to a smith to get re barreled when it needs a new one.

This. Instead of a variety of mid-range optics and stocks, you can invest in *one* high-end optic, and *one* high-end stock/chassis and use it in multiple applications. It's one trigger pull to get used to, one bolt throw, one ergonomic setup, and you can use it for everything from plinking or prairie dog hunting to elk or bear hunting to banging steel at 1000+ yards. Your up-front cost is (typically) higher, but the larger your collection of chambered barrels gets, the more money you save over the "dedicated gun" setup.

I'd love to have a rack of rifles chambered in every cartridge that I shoot, each with high quality optics, stocks/chassis, and triggers, but I just don't have that kind of money... so I do the next best (IMO) thing, which is a switch-barrel setup.

Who decides, then, which trends need to start and which ones do not?

The industry isn’t that big, and they talk! Always pushing for the next new thing to keep people buying. Watch it over the next few years and compair it to the past. They have to keep changing to keep revenue. That’s not a bad thing.

So have any of you seen barrel life differences? In your switch barrels?

i don�t see the point, am I missing something ? Why don�t you leave your barrel on, scope zeroed, and burn the barrel out? I think this is just a push to sell more rifles and start a new Trend that doesn�t need to be started. But that�s just my thoughts. Maybe someone has better thoughts.
Because I don't have 20+ grand to tie up into rifles like most of you.

One rifle with 3 bolts and barrels will cover everything I need. I'll give you my total when I get done with it, but it will be much cheaper than buying 3 separate setups.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I think its important to note that while a switch barrel build with say, 3 barrels, is certainly cheaper than 3 separate full rifles, it is not even close to the same thing. I dont own a switch barrel setup, but I can see how it would be great for the competitive shooter who wants to switch between match/practice/etc. barrels. But its still one rifle; you cant loan one to a buddy at the range, you can't go to the range and set both up on the bench and go back and forth, etc etc.

Also the whole "cheaper than having 3 rifles" statement has to be taken with a grain of salt considering we are talking about full custom builds. I mean you can go and get 3 medium quality rifles for about 3k total, or you can get a full custom switch barrel setup for about ~4-5k. Of course you will need additional optics for the separate rifles, so that needs to be kept in mind too.

I'm not really for, or against, switch barrel setups, but I certainly think their awesome and would like to have one someday. I honestly don't think I would take full advantage of switching barrels really that often at all though as there is still a bit of a process behind it, no matter how many people say that it only takes them 3 minutes or whatever.

Who decides? The Market decides, and since this question was first advanced here, almost two decades ago (by myself and others), it hasn't really taken off.

On the face of it, the concept can be very sound, especially when we address others' questions about the 'do-everything-rifle'.

Rather than selling more rifles, it actually should sell fewer, allowing a single quality stock, optics setup, and set of accessories do multiple tasks. It can serve as a justification to employ a more desirable stock and optics, since you're really only be buying the one for use in several applications. A long action with the .473" diameter bolt face can be chambered for .30BR, .260 Rem/6.5CM, .280 and .30-'06, to cite just a few. Mine has been chambered thus over the past 20 years, and allows the use of chambering that are better suited to specific tasks, without extra barrel wear employing a single barrel for many varied tasks.

With the Savage platform, one can even swap bolt heads, permitting other chamberings, like those based on the .223 Rem case; but there remain some questions about magazine suitability.

One thing that has caught on is the concept of the barrel nut, which goes right along with this idea by enabling the user to do their own headspacing.

So there is a point, maybe several, to the concept. The only real question is one of imagination, and how broad can it be.

Greg

I with there was more of a difference in the language when comparing the switch barrel set ups like the AI or DT and then the barrel nut set ups as the first are much more easily to actually swap. The barrel nut set ups are still a pain comparatively.

My question is that with the rise of the barrel nut set up why no one has tapped the barrel nut for a set screw yet. Create a locking barrel nut just like on reloading dies. If you dont want it on the threads for fear of buggering them up then it could be done out further away from the action where it overlaps the unthreaded barrel. Then you really could set the headspace once and take it off and back on much easier without having to get out the gauges. I think I would prefer that to the locktight method that gets thrown about so much. People think that it could cock slightly? Tap it three times and even out the pressures.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"230","width":"306","src":"https:\/\/media.midwayusa.com\/productimages\/880x660\/Primary\/163\/163904.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Hell, tap it three time but instead of the slotted notches in the nut make it set up like the giraud trimmer where you can torque it on with spanner wrenches instead of the full wrap around wrenches so you dont have to take off the scope.

Capture.JPG
Edit:
See how the little holes would allow you to put it on without having to wrap around the entire thing? Pic courtesy of accuracytech
20170419_132810-800x450-1.jpg

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/www.snipershide.com\/shooting\/core\/image\/jpeg;base64,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 vUnLtk2vDYWJXU8Vp\/C08pVoX4J6z8rmMr9N8NH2VUn2RsvNnNm7Ec68VncsK3 r0 j9GgdvgmWs nlXdRprtbf4GhT0lBJ3v3FhV08lsjJ96RYldHl06xG6nRXdL8xQunGJ3xpfdf5jmUukWeUH3y\/oUrpG\/cX3mIV1FdOMR7tLwf5iWn08q76VN9ja\/E5ZDpFf6C 8XNPS8X9GS70PHCur0uncfpUX 7O\/xRfYfpphpe16yHbG68mzk9LGLi 8vFU5rxHiV2DC6aw9T2a0Hybs\/Bl mcSVRl5g9K1qXsVJx7Hl4bCeK12IHPcB03rRyqxjUXFdWX4eRtOi k2Hr2Snqy92fVfc9j7mSKzIAIAAAAAAAAAAAAFvjcZClHWk7ct75ICackldtJczVtN9NKdK8aS9ZLj9Ffia30k6T1KzcINxhy3muWLmJWQ0lpmtiHepNtbo7IrsRYpFLkWWNxjSyTNIvp1IxKJVm9mS8WYujW4v8AEuo4nLclxkzURM43Laskt5b4nS1OO9yfLJeLMRiNNy3RS838kBe4pmHxEiCvjqkt77rL4FjPXfHzFIu3Va3lUK8lv8jHOnLmeakuZKrMU8Qt8YvuLyhQhL6Jrlpcy4oYia k0KNmjRcNl13v\/olhWmvpb968rr8DGYbS9Rb4yXNfgZGljqdSylDUfGOzwyAvqWOa9pNfZ6y8FmvAu6eLTV8muKMZUwklnB6y4p3LaNe0ryT5uOUv695UbJTqJ7GSaxrdDFu66y\/XFbjN4etfJ7eRBseiek IoWSlrw92ea7ntXwN60N0lo4hWvqT3xl8nvRyi5VTquLTTaa2NGYtdvBpHRjpQ3anVf8A1xX4G7Rd8zLT0AAAAAAAA5n0w0w51JRTyu4rkk7eZ0qcrJvgjiOLq605PmXE1TE8PLlVPNmkeSRZYmGTvb5F\/W25PuNU01i5VW4Qygtr95r5GkQV9JRi3q9Z8dxFBVqrulK3H8P6EdCnTpu7zfMnq6Tk8ot9kdviBNT0fSSvVqZ 7v8AC1yidWhHZBvm7K\/be7IlhKs9yiueTI6mFpx9qavy\/TZFRYjSG5QivFlhUxUnuLqrOmtiuW060fdAhdd8Dz174FbqrgeKquCIPYYhl1hsel7UEy2U48Cak6T23QGShUoz i4vlmvxJ4Ya\/sSvy\/ptLGGGpv2ZrvyJv7POOy77Myi71qlN7481mu8llj1NWqL95fMt6ekppWl1lzz\/AKlNRQnnTdnvW79doFxTw1807rijIYGs42jLY3k fA12lVnB5d63dxnsLUVWN 5rgwM3SZVcjoSvFcbZlTYEkKjTTW1Zo6z0Ux3rsNCW9Xi 7Z5NHIkzffRliW41qb3SjJd90\/gjOrjeAAZUAAAAAQY VqU3whJ\/ws4dUlmztmmZWw9Z8KVR\/wADOJVLX2 Brimq9YqpyzIEyRdv6 RpFnXxTesltay8zWMdXz1ILJbXxf62Gd0nScX6yOzfyb3vk\/j3GtOVrKKbk3ZJJuTb3JLNthFFPD3d5Oy38S7\/ALUoNKnBX2XebbfBb2bz0V9FGJrpVMbN4eD2U42dZrne8Yd s SOq6A6JYPB29RQhGX ZLr1X2zld9ysibyWOI6N6F6SxecaFSMX9Kt\/dR 67SfdFm2aO9DMnniMWl9WjC\/8cmv5TrwM1Y0DCeiLRsba8a9V\/Xqyj5U9Uy9H0d6Kj\/gaMvtp1P5mzaARWCh0M0atmAwa\/wBCH5RPobo17cBg3\/oQ\/KZ0Aa3W6A6KltwGFX2aaj\/LYx J9FeiZ\/4VwfGFWrG3cp28jdABzTGehrBy\/ZV8RT4JuM4 cU\/M17HeiLGUs6FelV5dalLuTco37WjtgLR81aX0Ni8M7YnD1IL32ur\/ALkbw8zD18O0tbPlJZH1ZKKaaaTT2p7GaX0j9G ExCbo3w1S7adJf3bf16Xs98dV8y SRwKli2naWa4\/iZnRz1Z8pfIl6TdFcRgp6uIppKTajUhnSn2O3Vlb6Ls8na6Vyz0M3raqu9jXLPaWo2LCz9rgsu\/eTNpkFKGqkls823tbPXICc2z0dVdXEW9 El3q0vkzTU7my9EKupiqP2rfei4\/MDrAAMNAAAAACw09G GrrjSqL BnEKjz2dp3PS6vQq\/\/ADqfys4zjKOu8rKWxbk1ts fM1xTWPjUvkSRqW27DG1tZO2cWu5rtRJTxNspeO59vA0yyTV0ZjoA8HhcTKrVglOSShUlmqS ko32a3vbcrbzXoVOBLGut RIrvVKopJSi008007prkys4tojTdfDO9Gp1drg tB9sd3arM3XRfpBpSsq9OVN 9Hrw8PaXg 0zFrdAWWB0tQrfsqtOfJSVO1F6RQAAAAAAAAAgxWMp01epOEFxlJL4gThmp6T6fYWnlSU60vqrVj3yl8kzTtLdMMVXutZUoe7Tunb609r7rFg3Xphp\/C06c6NSMa8pKzpbV\/o\/Hgclw2HjBWirLtv5vMkuily\/X4FzEVykRSaW12W98EQYjGRjltfBfN7iwq4lvOT7lsVyxGUo1U3y4me6N4iCxNBOa1vWQtG\/Wd5LO25Zo1bC0pXhl1puMacG7OcpNKLl7sLtZ7Wr24rfdDwhNqlKnaOFmqiqWcW5xvH1ilvcnr5bkrbLHPs7c4em HXvL26kgYvQ PdTKW210 KvYygzc3LhuTYAAqAAAgx6vSqL6kv5WcVqM7dWV4yXFP4HDqpcEdWEZ29YnwUl7SW7tXJ9xYyw0P8x9jp5P8AiZeX JaNFRHDDJezVirvY4yt4arJVCX1ZfZkn3arsyOSKJIpFxKnKO1Sj2px8mVKs 0t4YmcclKXZe68GXFLGxbXrKUJLe4Xpztvtbq37YipFXro70ZDC6brw\/Z4iquWu7eDdjE1JQb6jaXCedn9qK\/4o9VGTjKSi3GOcms4pXttWQ9HttFLpljY\/wDm1vtQg\/NRReUun LW2NGX7rXwkaOqqfAqT5sTCt9j6RKjSfY5L5smj6Rqn\/AK0P9x\/lOe978yn1nP4iFdCn6Rau7DQXbNv\/AIotMR6QcU\/ZjRj 62\/OXyNJdXn5EbxS95eAhWyYnpXi6l9bETS4QtDzjFPzMPWrOT1pOUnxlm\/F5lhPFJbG2VwU5K9lFZZyyX9exJiFXDqMKV LfJXZD1VfNzfHOENvBdZrvRVUxk2tW rH3YpRT2vNLb33AllHbdpcpX1uPspNrvttLaVms3N8o2jG3g2\/LsKGIhU8FTWylT79aXk3byJKeIaeShF\/VhGL28UkW6ZXBXf9bfEgm6ON1MY6ju\/VQnVbefWtqwvz1pL7p03oVSawsqla15Sl3Rg3F\/CTOYdFur\/aal9saUM9yc3f5HSFiXTwEn9SbduMr3tyPn9nL5N\/Hr48f4yfbz0eYt16uIqu6vJuzzSTUVFJ9kdn4m GvdCaaWGjLO825SurZt7O5JI2E9HRm5wyuPbubz2AAOzmAADxnGdN6OnQrypTyz6reUXFvqyvw48LM7OYvT g6WLhqzumvZmvai XFcUXBxiSs8y1qbTNac0HWwk9WpHqv2Zx9iXY9z5Pz2mEcs3 t5UGiOcSa5TMC2asenrQaAoaPadRxd07frfx7CpIoaAqqOEruS1ZX2wVl9zZ4WIK1NQaWvB3tmnbbxvaxWzG6S2rs JaRdOvle8fFeeZFUrRv7SMXI8SFIyTqx95frvKqCi2lrxV N\/kmYqxPhdqXP8AWQpGwU6cI2teT4yXVWzZHO \/b4Elaq5Nyk7t7yFRK0iDxBFdjxAeM9ij1RCSA9sVwWwjlIuMBQqVJxhTjKc3sild9vZz3FEmhYxjOdOSmo1E9aeWpGzUo3zyfVa4Zo6Vo\/C1FCFKUJN800ms3v7Svoj0LVC1XEWnV3RWcIfmlz2LdxNxseferN5V1zs2RHhqKhFRW5f9koB1cwAAAAAAAEOKw0KkXCpGMovJqSumc66Sej2UW6mEestvqpPrL7En7S5PPmzpYA eqtKUG4TjKMk84yTTXansI5M7zpbQtDExtWpRlweyS7JLNGjaX9GsleWGq6y9ypk 6aVvFLtLRz1s8TMlpDQeJoO1WhUiuNrx 8rrzMYVFStlx57OXzKGz0WKKYxzzZjdJrPYZWKLDSFPYQYlnkUXM6Nin1YVBYmw0OsgqZNRp5rtCMzTjxJTyjB5 J5cA2eFTLjR ArVnajSnN\/Ui2l2y2LvYFrJM8SN70R6Oa01fETjSz2RevO38qfezd9CdFsLhc6dNOf ZPrT7n9HusKOcdH geIxFpVU6FPjJf3kl9WG7tlbsZ03QegaGEjq0YWb9qTznL7UvksuRlAZqgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA8aMTpDo1hK37ShTb4xWpL70bMy4A0vGejbCS9idanyUlJfxJvzMRiPRfNfs8TF8p02vFqT B0sFo5HiPR1jI z6mfZNp cUYvHdAdIPZQv2Th Y7gBRwJdBNI7P7PLfvi fEofQTSF\/\/AMs\/GP4n0ABRwOHo\/wBIv\/DvvlBf8i9w3o1x7avCEftTj8mzt4FHLaPo3xL9qrRiuTlLysl5mVwfoypL9riKkvsRUF56xvoJRr A6GYGjnGhGT41G5 UnZdyM9TpqKskklsSVku4qAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAf\/Z"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
all points above are valid and match my own reasons, but truthfully one of the biggest reasons that i have moved to switch barrel designs (have to admit i am a AI guy so it comes with the territory) is that i never need a gunsmith again.

dont want to be rude or disrespectful, but why do i want to wait on line for a mechanically inclined detailed oriented person for non design/functional issues.
they buy the same barrel, use the same lathe, buy the same reamer from the same tooling company and set it to the same specs.....but i dont have to send it away for several weeks. as long as tolerances and materials are the same there is no difference.

most of the time well known smiths spin the barrels for the OEM anyway (AI has used a few smiths over the years in NA Dave Tooley being one of them, who does excellent work), so the barrels are exactly the same aftermarket vs OEM.

I think its important to note that while a switch barrel build with say, 3 barrels, is certainly cheaper than 3 separate full rifles, it is not even close to the same thing. I dont own a switch barrel setup, but I can see how it would be great for the competitive shooter who wants to switch between match/practice/etc. barrels. But its still one rifle; you cant loan one to a buddy at the range, you can't go to the range and set both up on the bench and go back and forth, etc etc.

Also the whole "cheaper than having 3 rifles" statement has to be taken with a grain of salt considering we are talking about full custom builds. I mean you can go and get 3 medium quality rifles for about 3k total, or you can get a full custom switch barrel setup for about ~4-5k. Of course you will need additional optics for the separate rifles, so that needs to be kept in mind too.

I'm not really for, or against, switch barrel setups, but I certainly think their awesome and would like to have one someday. I honestly don't think I would take full advantage of switching barrels really that often at all though as there is still a bit of a process behind it, no matter how many people say that it only takes them 3 minutes or whatever.

There is only one of me, switching a barrel is simple with some of the new setups. WTO switchlug is like 15 second swap. Quick rezero and you are up and running before you can get your other rifle from the truck. I'm not loaning this rifle to any of my buddies. There is a cheap 700 in the safe for that.

As far as the price being taken with a grain of salt. Why? I have a custom action with three bolts and barrels. You can go get three Savage axis guns for less than a grand if that's what you want. 3 medium quality guns won't give me what I want.

You are overthinking this and giving way touch value to having separate guns. The market is moving towards switch barrels and prefits for a reason. People with basic mechanical skills can handle screwing on a barrel. There is no reason to back up a gunsmith when all that needs to happen is screwing the thing on. Let them run the lathes and chamber the barrels.

Check out the videos on the switchlug. It's pretty awesome how repeatable the shift is. He has a video of him switching barrels and shooting it back to back.

I do keep other cheaper rifles that I can take to the range to loan to a friend to learn on or hunt with but they aren't customs, just off the shelf stuff.

And in regards to the "process" as you call it of switching barrels, with my SRS or AI it's 60 seconds literally and that's it. Repeatable zero every time so far.

There is only one of me, switching a barrel is simple with some of the new setups. WTO switchlug is like 15 second swap. Quick rezero and you are up and running before you can get your other rifle from the truck. I'm not loaning this rifle to any of my buddies. There is a cheap 700 in the safe for that.

As far as the price being taken with a grain of salt. Why? I have a custom action with three bolts and barrels. You can go get three Savage axis guns for less than a grand if that's what you want. 3 medium quality guns won't give me what I want.

You are overthinking this and giving way touch value to having separate guns. The market is moving towards switch barrels and prefits for a reason. People with basic mechanical skills can handle screwing on a barrel. There is no reason to back up a gunsmith when all that needs to happen is screwing the thing on. Let them run the lathes and chamber the barrels.

Check out the videos on the switchlug. It's pretty awesome how repeatable the shift is. He has a video of him switching barrels and shooting it back to back.

I don't think I'm overthinking anything, those were just some points off the top of my head that I think should be considered before investing in a switch barrel setup. My points were more intended towards a new shooter who may not already have some factory rifles on the side. That being said, if you were going to build a custom rifle, I would recommend components that will allow you to eventually buy extra barrels and do the switching yourself like a TL3 or similar so that the potential is there.

I do keep other cheaper rifles that I can take to the range to loan to a friend to learn on or hunt with but they aren't customs, just off the shelf stuff.

And in regards to the "process" as you call it of switching barrels, with my SRS or AI it's 60 seconds literally and that's it. Repeatable zero every time so far.

Isn't a SRS with multiple calibers going to run you like 6k? And isn't a AI pretty similar? They almost don't even save you money over buying separate rifles unless you count the fact that you can share the optic...

That being said, if you were going to build a custom rifle, I would recommend components that will allow you to eventually buy extra barrels and do the switching yourself like a TL3 or similar so that the potential is there.

Agree on that point. With my pair of TL-3's I've got barrels from three different gunsmiths all of which headspace perfectly. However, only one gunsmith has ever had one of my actions in hand, and even then it was just one of the two actions that they had in their possession. Add in the swappable bolt heads and it's a very flexible platform.

Isn't a SRS with multiple calibers going to run you like 6k? And isn't a AI pretty similar? They almost don't even save you money over buying separate rifles unless you count the fact that you can share the optic...

Not if you shop. Eurooptic has the AI AT listed for about $4,100 with one caliber and the SRS for about $4,800 with one caliber.

So
SRS in .308 ~ $4,100
NF 7-35 ~ $3,500
3 barrels ~ $2,700 (~$900 each)
1 bolt for Long action (~$400)

So maybe about $10k without shopping used or calling dealers for better that advertised prices.

If I get a a custom made you could price it out
Action: ~ $1,600 (maisingfield)
Stock: ~ $1,600 (aics)

That's about $3,200 just the action and chassis let alone trigger, barrel, etc. now multiply that by 4 rifles (that's how many barrels I currently have for my SRS) plus 4 scopes ~ $3,500 (NF 7-35 is what I run currently).

So: $3,200 + $3,500 = $6,700 Then $6,700 x4 rifles is ~ $26,800 for 4 rifles in different calibers with the exact same set up in terms of action, scope, chassis.

Initial starting price is much higher but overall it comes way down.

The industry isn’t that big, and they talk! Always pushing for the next new thing to keep people buying. Watch it over the next few years and compair it to the past. They have to keep changing to keep revenue. That’s not a bad thing.
The industry can push but the product will die if it doesnt bring value. The market decides the value.

I recently went from 4 rifles down too 2 switch barrel guns, ax308 and AXMC. For me it was familiarity of rifles, go from four good optics to two really nice scopes, and the ability to get new barrels without sending the gun to a smith everytime. In the end I put money back in my pocket which was a plus.

Not if you shop. Eurooptic has the AI AT listed for about $4,100 with one caliber and the SRS for about $4,800 with one caliber.

So
SRS in .308 ~ $4,100
NF 7-35 ~ $3,500
3 barrels ~ $2,700 (~$900 each)
1 bolt for Long action (~$400)

So maybe about $10k without shopping used or calling dealers for better that advertised prices.

If I get a a custom made you could price it out
Action: ~ $1,600 (maisingfield)
Stock: ~ $1,600 (aics)

That's about $3,200 just the action and chassis let alone trigger, barrel, etc. now multiply that by 4 rifles (that's how many barrels I currently have for my SRS) plus 4 scopes ~ $3,500 (NF 7-35 is what I run currently).

So: $3,200 + $3,500 = $6,700 Then $6,700 x4 rifles is ~ $26,800 for 4 rifles in different calibers with the exact same set up in terms of action, scope, chassis.

Initial starting price is much higher but overall it comes way down.

As someone who has several customs in the safe I can say that this is a pretty accurate post. The AMXC wasn't an option when I starting getting into long range shooting and I wasn't sure about the DTA bullpup setup so I had a 700 built with a 260 and 308 barrel spun up. That was my first switch barrel and it came about because my wife liked my 260 so I added the extra barrel to the build. I don't swap it a lot but it's a nice setup. I finally bought the Desert tech and realized what I should have done years ago. Then after getting behind an AXMC I have figured out the I really want one of them but the initial $10k to get setup in long action and short action with two barrels is hard to swallow. The used market sucks so there's no point in giving my shit away so I doubt I will end up with one. For someone that is getting into this hobby and plans on staying in it, I would without a doubt buy the axmc and only have one rifle.

For me, the value of a switch barrel has to do with the speed at which technology is pushing this sport. Every year, better powders, bullets and cases are changing what is being fielded as a cartridge. A switch barrel design allows a person to keep the same (familiar) rifle, but change out when performance, technology and price are feasible, to gain (or maintain) a level of parity with other competitors without the hassle of sending a rifle out to be fitted, and losing time in the process.

Come over and check out the Barrett MRAD thread I started. Switch barrel systems have there +/- just like any rifle system out there. Here's my story. I had a Gen 2 razor that I had on top of a savage 338. I was bummed that I wasn't using as much as my others. I figured, if i sold my Savage 308/338 LM and my Ruger RPR + the other mid-range glass I had and picked up a change barrel system it would simplify my systems and I would be able to shoot the Gen 2 Razor more. My 308 never sold here so I had to keep it and it will become my light weight hunting rifle with a proof savage pre-fit at some point. I debated between Desert Tech and Barrett. The right deal came along and I jumped on the Barrett MRAD 20" 300 Win Mag. I sold the 300WM barrel almost immediately. I picked up a 308 barrel off eBay. I shoot the 308 for a little while, then sold it to fund a proof 338 LM. I picked up a 260 Rem. 24" fluted for the summer competition season. The 260 served me well and I sold it when fall rolled around. I'm now just left with the 338 LM for elk season. I'm considering picking up a 24" 300 Wm or 300 norma,(affordable long range(ELR)), 22" 308 proof(practice). I'll buy a heavy barrel 260 for next seasons PRS comps. I think it makes sense when you can only afford one Their 1 scope, JMHO.

Now that I've started to hunt with my systems, I do see the need to have a light weight hunting rifle system(<10 Lbs.) I don't think you can have a one gun does it all unless you make a lot of compromises.

Positives (As mentioned)
One nice scope
One Chassis
One nice Bi-Pod
Change caliber in 5 min or less
No waiting for gun smith
same trigger/bolt pull always.
Flexible System

Negatives:
*Expensive up front entry cost
*Expensive barrels
*Even more expensive barrels with barrel burning calibers(6.5's, 300 norma(worst) or 300 WM. Resale with low round count is the only way to make sense of a $1,250 barrel, with resale @ $.75-.80 on the dollar. Renting a barrel basically!
*I do see re-zero as a negative. (Haven't keep barrels long enough to keep track of Zero shift between calibers) It does change pretty drastic.

Now that I've started to hunt with my systems, I do see the need to have a light weight hunting rifle system(<10 Lbs.) I don't think you can have a one gun does it all unless you make a lot of compromises.

...and to me, that is where something like the WTO Switchlug or the ARC Barloc come into things. You could go with a nice Manners or Christensen light weight CF stock, an action of your choice, CF or hunter-profile barrels configured to use the Switchlug/Barloc, and whatever glass floats your boat... there's no reason why a build like that couldn't come in under 10 pounds.

For me, the value of a switch barrel has to do with the speed at which technology is pushing this sport. Every year, better powders, bullets and cases are changing what is being fielded as a cartridge. A switch barrel design allows a person to keep the same (familiar) rifle, but change out when performance, technology and price are feasible, to gain (or maintain) a level of parity with other competitors without the hassle of sending a rifle out to be fitted, and losing time in the process.

I don't own a switch barrel but to me this is pretty logical. Everyone wants the best new cartridge and you can get it for a fraction of the cost with the set up that you are already comfortable with. Want the new cartridge but need to build a rifle for it first? You may wait 9 months for the gunsmith to get yours done. Id assume barrels could be turned up way faster and you will hit the ground running earlier.

I recently switched to a Bighorn TL3 and honestly doubt I’ll own another rifle that isn’t a switch barrel. The ease of being able to change the barrel/caliber myself without the hassle of time and extra money having a smith shoulder a new barrel is too valuable to me. It’s my only rifle, and any time spent away at the gunsmith is time that I’m not shooting it. If I decide to switch from 6.5 to 6mm or the barrel is showing signs of degradation, I simply order a barrel and a set of gauges if necessary and continue to shoot until it arrives. It’s less time without my rifle and more time shooting.

I can't wait to have the ARC Barloc on my rifle, will make switching even easier!

I like the idea of it, but when it came down to it I found I really only used one caliber 99% of the time. The systems work well and for those that are majorly into the competitive side of things, or those that enjoy trying out different calibers, they are a great option. I found myself shooting 6.5 Creedmoor nearly 100% of the time and for the distances readily available to me 1600m and less, it's all I need (for now lol). Part of me wishes I had purchased a 2014+ AX308 so that I would have the quick change system simply as an option or peace of mind, but that desire is more or less due to the quick adjust stock, which if I am completely honest with myself, I don't have any real use for at all. I have an action tool as well, so five minutes in a barrel vice and I am in business, just no ability to change calibers in the field. I foresee most of the major chassis rifle options going towards a switch caliber/barrel system in the coming years, but there will always be custom shops around making rifles for guys who prefer a classic fixed stock and multiple rifles to one do it all system.

If I ever get the urge to have a long action magnum again, I'll likely just keep the older short action AX308 that I already have and add an AXMC for platform familiarity and of course the excuse to deck out another rifle, which for myself, is half the fun of this whole deal.

I like the idea of it, but when it came down to it I found I really only used one caliber 99% of the time. The systems work well and for those that are majorly into the competitive side of things, or those that enjoy trying out different calibers, they are a great option. I found myself shooting 6.5 Creedmoor nearly 100% of the time and for the distances readily available to me 1600m and less, it's all I need (for now lol). Part of me wishes I had purchased a 2014+ AX308 so that I would have the quick change system simply as an option or peace of mind, but that desire is more or less due to the quick adjust stock, which if I am completely honest with myself, I don't have any real use for at all. I have an action tool as well, so five minutes in a barrel vice and I am in business, just no ability to change calibers in the field. I foresee most of the major chassis rifle options going towards a switch caliber/barrel system in the coming years, but there will always be custom shops around making rifles for guys who prefer a classic fixed stock and multiple rifles to one do it all system.

If I ever get the urge to have a long action magnum again, I'll likely just keep the older short action AX308 that I already have and add an AXMC for platform familiarity and of course the excuse to deck out another rifle, which for myself, is half the fun of this whole deal.

I just bought a 20 foot stick of tubing so I can make a barrel vise setup to go in the Reese hitch on my truck. That way I can seal bares out in the field on my700's. I will post pics if I get it built this weekend

The most important aspect for a switch barrel rifle to a competitive competition shooter is the ability to have a steady stream of fresh barrels in the same caliber of choice. In Scandinavia the Sauer STR aka Sauer SSG3000 in 6.5x55 is THE competition rifle. Most shooters have 3 to 4 barrels going in the same setup. Barrel 1: big match barrel = less than 1000 rounds, barrel 2: 1000 - 3000 rounds = training and rapid fire comp, barrel 3: 3000+ rounds = rapid fire training, barrel 4: 4500 rounds = junk = buy new big match barrel.

Going like this the shooter can go through 20000+ round a year with the same rifle without any surprises or visits to a gunsmith for several needed barrel changes with a conventional rifle.

Last edited:
I just bought a 20 foot stick of tubing so I can make a barrel vise setup to go in the Reese hitch on my truck. That way I can seal bares out in the field on my700's. I will post pics if I get it built this weekend

Totally a great project. Here's what mine looks like. Just square tubing with some holes drilled through it, bolts and wingnuts to attach the vise and so I can swap it back to my workbench if needed.

QmsTnBf.jpg

Vd61okO.jpg

Just my 2cents, but after I burn out the 308 stock Bartlein barrel on my AI AT, I'll swap to a 6.5 for around $750, so for my situation it's a no-brainer, but you may have already considered this. To me, it's like graduating to a superior BC on the same rifle/optic. Then again, there's also the barrel burner consideration for cost, which I think is ~10k for the 308 and a scant ~2k for the 6.5 if I'm not mistaken...

and a scant ~2k for the 6.5 if I'm not mistaken...

Not too sure about that number, as my Bartlein has about 3100 and some change and still going strong. That being said, a new barrel is sitting in the safe for whenever the current one decides to shit the bed.

What type of switch barrel systems are you guys using exactly?

Totally a great project. Here's what mine looks like. Just square tubing with some holes drilled through it, bolts and wingnuts to attach the vise and so I can swap it back to my workbench if needed.

QmsTnBf.jpg

Vd61okO.jpg

I thought I replied to your post but I don't see it. My plan is to make it L shaped and have the vise the same height as the tailgate so I can use the gate as a work bench.

all points above are valid and match my own reasons, but truthfully one of the biggest reasons that i have moved to switch barrel designs (have to admit i am a AI guy so it comes with the territory) is that i never need a gunsmith again.

I've moved over completely to barrel nut systems (Savage and Remage). I give up nothing in accuracy, and never spend a cent on smiths. Perhaps there is a difference in benchrest by I've competed very well against shouldered custom barrels with my prefits. I don't see a practical difference.

I ran one as a switch barrel for a few years and gave up. There is nothing convenient about spending half your precious shooting time rezeroing and resetting turret zeroes.

As for saving money on stocks and optics, if you shoot all of your chamberings in the same way, sure. But if you shoot various disciplines and hunt different situations, odds are one stock/chassis will not meet every need. Better to save up over time and build what you need for the application you need it. My main rifle is a 243AI with a 4X16 set in an A3 Sporter with a heavy sporter barrel and is used for hunting everything short of elk and general range use. Sure my 338 Edge is also in an A3 Sporter, but with a much heavier barrel and a long action with custom mag box and a bigger scope than the 243 needs. My 20 Practical sits in a chassis, and while technically could switch barrel with the 243AI, that's kind of a PIA when you want them both in a prairie dog town.

QmsTnBf.jpg

Vd61okO.jpg

Guys that have cerekoted barrels.. any tips or tricks to keep from buggering up the coating while in the vice?

Sheldon, are you using the bighorn wrench?

Not too sure about that number, as my Bartlein has about 3100 and some change and still going strong. That being said, a new barrel is sitting in the safe for whenever the current one decides to shit the bed.

I've been hoping that number's wrong and with your evidence I might just make the jump to 6.5 early, thanks man!

And sleeplz, with the AI AT you just loosen a retention screw and unscrew old barrel then screw the new one in, all threaded, like missed said sets you back about a couple minutes, no professional help needed.

To reverse the OP question, what are the benefits of having a fixed barrel that could only be serviced by a gun smith if there's switchable barrel options?

Reactions: Helpful-Grendel
Guys that have cerekoted barrels.. any tips or tricks to keep from buggering up the coating while in the vice?

Sheldon, are you using the bighorn wrench?

I've been grabbing a piece of thin cardboard (like cereal box thickness) and wrapping it around the barrel 2-3 times. Works great. In the photo above I'd forgotten to bring cardboard so I think those are old paper targets wrapped around the barrel.

Yes, I've been using the Bighorn/PVA wrench. Slides in without having to do anything to the ejector.