• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why there is no mention of the M77 Ruger here?

tomcat68

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2010
Paris, TN
I have been reading posts here for awhile. I was wondering why I haven't read anything about the M77 Ruger. Does anyone have a good report on them?

Tomcat68

Re: Why there is no mention of the M77 Ruger here?

Typically their not the most accurate rifles.

and theres not very many "aftermarket" parts availible for them either

I own a Ruger M77 MkII lefthand, in .30-06. Not sure on the exacts but it's a hunter rifle, fullwood american-style stock, standard weight barrel.

Shoots fairly nicely, bolt locks in tightly and smoothly, trigger is crisp, single stage job. Magazine loads easily and feeds smoothly, ejects nicely.

Consistent shooter with factory ammo, not the most accurate thing but again i'm not a great shooter and we dont use a high end optic for it.

If you're looking to shoot game animals out to 300m or so then you'll be alright. As has been said, not blazingly accurate, but it doesnt need to shoot sub MOA.

Inconsistent accuracy from rifle to rifle, lack of aftermarket accessories, difficult to bed into a new stock, etc... I've owned a few and had more than one that would hold sub 1.5 moa, which made them useable hunting rifles, but not match or tactical material IMHO.... I personally think their MK II/III & 22/45 pistols are the best products they make and their 10/22 has a respectable following, but even in that department I prefer my CZ 452...... Poor reputation in the firearm politics arena as a company also keeps many from becoming brand loyal to them...

I have owned four and still own two.

The ones I no longer own were virtual twins, KM77VT MKII's, .22-250 and .308. Very accurate and reliable firearms. Sold in tough times as a desperate last resort to keep the mortgage afloat.

The ones I now own are both MKI's, 280 Rem, one with a sporter barrel, and the other in a relatively rare Varmint Contour. These were both inherited, and I keep them more as a steward of family heirlooms than as a shooter. Nevertheless I have shot them with Hornady 139gr SST 'Custom' factory hunting loads, with which they are both absolutely impeccable, and the Varmint with Nosler 120gr Ballistic Tip handloads, which are progressing along nicely, albeit on the back burner. Times remain tough and there are more pressing projects.

I admire and treasure my Ruger 77's. I consider them to be the 'Cadillacs' in my rifle collection; and like Cadillacs, if fewer aftermarket options are available, I find that fewer aftermarket options are needed. I think the .280 Varmint could be a very formidable LR rifle with 168gr 7mm SMKs.

Greg