• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why you should NOT buy an FFP for reticle ranging for Precision Rifle and why it doesn't work well.

Diver160651

Who cares
Minuteman
  • Feb 7, 2013
    La Honda
    If the first thing you thought when you read the title is that I have my head up my ass, you might find the link I am sharing interesting.

If you're a precision rifle shooter and reticle ranging is in your top 5 reasons for buying an FFP, I'd consider you rethink your scope's true value. That said, I use FFP on every gun I run from my NRL Vudoo 22, match guns to my hunting rigs. This is not an FFP bashing post.

Under the Local Match section, I've been dropping stage tips and tricks for our UKD Team Match that was sold out ten months in advance. Initially, we planned to offer free spin up clinics, but COVID changed our plans; as such, I've been dropping tips and tricks that will make the match more manageable for the teams that read them but have real field applications. I just posted the 12 such topics, and it happens to be relevant to our reticle-ranging stage. You can see more here: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-match-11-22-2020.6980614/page-4#post-8897264

Top reasons to purchase an FFP, regardless of magnification levels:​
    1. Accurate/fast wind holds​
    2. Flash milling wind budgets (targets angular size)​
    3. Accurate//fast holdovers​
    4. Accurate//fast corrections​
    5. Accurate/clear communication​

There are also tips on Field use of tripods etc, assessable from the main index here: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-ukd-team-challenge-match-11-22-2020.6980614/

Reticle ranging at distances far enough that drop matters can tell you whether you’re in effective range for 223/308/338/50.

Having run the numbers beyond that, though, I agree; uncertainty from ranging the approximate height of a deer’s chest with the reticle is high enough past ~400 yards that it’s not an ethical shot with anything with anything ballistically worse than 6.5 Creedmoor. Measurement certainty becomes more and more critical to get the right drop, at the same time that measurement becomes much less certain.