• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up WI, MN, IA, IL Folks, an event worth checking out

oneshot.onehit

Trigger Puller
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2010
USA
Another Shooting Event coming up at Fort McCoy in WI.

Last weekend in September --- 27th, 28th changed to Fri. and Sat. only -range closed on Sun.

You can shoot just one day or all events, awards follow quickly after each event

This is event is open to all Mil. and Civilians

Questions that have been asked

What targets are the pop ups?
All Human Silhouettes

What Size are the targets?
I believe 18”x30” – upper half of bodies

Are all the courses timed, or just the chaos one?
On the short and long course the silhouettes vary in how long they stay up, close ones drop sooner

Are there time limits?
Zombie run --- all targets stand up on the whole course and you and your partner have
3 minutes on the first 16 targets – plenty of time to figure hold offs
then they all reset and you have 2 minutes, then one minute and then 30 seconds to get it done.

How about the pistol course? Can you describe it?
Never shot or seen it. 35 targets at 7-33 meters
open to service type semi-auto caliber 9MM, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. No optics
This is shot on Friday, I did ask Nick about it and you would need a few mags if running a 1911 the round sounds like it would be a fun event, Ask Nick he is very helpful.

I've got a top loading bolt rifle. Would having a magazine fed bolt rifle be an advantage?
Top loaders work perfect on Sundays long range event. Note - Mags are prefered by some.
Most folks are using Ar platforms with high cap mags or Bata mags on Saturdays short course, I ran my bolt gun against everyone with a lot of loaded mags ready and finished 3rd

A mag would be handy on the Zombi – the 30 second round would nail you with a top loader unless your partner could cover you.
I ran my bolt and focused on the long targets and Ed, my partner worked at all the short and mid range targets with his AR

What is the entry Fee and start time?

There is a yearly $35.00 membership fee to the NCSA this covers all the insurance cost to shoot on the Base. Attending this event 3 times now come September the fee is cheap

Friday Hand Gun round $20.00, safety meeting starts at 9:00 am Friday

Saturday 100 to 500 meter short course 40 targets 80 rounds allowed, individule event, a spotter partner is allowed $60.00, safety meeting starts at 7:00 am Saturday

Zombie run 2 man team, was a new event that Ed and I dreamed up with Nick - a blast. Last time no charge I heard Nick mention maybe $10 or 20.00 some day down the road events starts after awards and prizes handed out for the short course

Saturday event for Sept. 2 man team 500 to 1000 meter 20 targets 40 rounds max per shooter – shooter and spotter each shoot a full game then change positions or jobs. $60.00 per person, safety meeting starts at 7:00 am Sunday morning

Bring extra ammo there will be opertunities to practice and confirm

All events were well worth the cost.

Do I need to send an entry form to anyone?
All paperwork and funds will be taken care prior to safety meeting.

I've got a bunch more questions, I guess I'm looking for as many specifics as you have the kindness to relay to me. It would be nice to know how to practice a little more specifically for this thing.

You folks will do well, the format and people that take part are all about shooting and having fun, there are no chest puffers there.

As far as the cost the you get your monies worth of high action packed shooting, my partner and I both walked away last time with new barrels and a complete gun tuneup rebuild from Armalite as well as SMK bullets, back in June we both walked away with a cool bag of stuff from Armalite let alone the shooting plaques that are handed out.
All the prizes were just a bonus to the fun we had.

Here is a link for more info
Fort McCoy 2009

$50.00 rooms at the Super 8 in Tomah a few minutes away from base

Hand Gun event will be on Range 1
All rifle events held on Range 2, by the camp grounds

Just don’t bring any acoholic beverages on base

Cheers
oneshot.onehit

Last edited:
If a guy was to come for Sat and Sun by himself is there people there to team up with for the team events?

It's very possible to hook up with someone. I believe Matt is coming down from Two Harbors solo and some folks from Menominee, WI. So the chances of finding a partner should be good.

Attention

Range 2 will be shut down Sunday

Sundays 500 to 1000 meter event will be shot on Saturday with short course and Zombie

Cheers

Last edited:
Folks
Just in case you did not see the change, Fort McCoy will be shutting Rifle Range 2 down for Sunday’s event. Once in a while this this can happen do to priorities within our system.
So here is the change within the events:

Friday
Located at Hand Gun range 1
Pistol round 7 – 30 meters

Note: weather permitting after the hand gun events are done they will move to the Rifle Range 2 and allow folks to practice and confirm impacts in the afternoon.

Saturday
Located at rifle range 2

First match event
Can be shot standing in a pit, kneeling or prone – most folks go prone
100 to 500 meter short course 40 targets individual shooter event --- can have a spotter
Each individual shooter will have 40 targets and allowed 80 rounds
A great time

Then the second match event
Most folks go prone
2 man team event 20 targets 500 to 1000 meters
Each shooter will have 20 targets and 40 rounds of ammo allowed
Also a great event as well

Then the Zombie
2 man team event Zombie Chaos run 100 to 1000 meters 64 targets total possible
Shooters have unlimited rounds
16 targets stand up until hit for a total of 3 minutes
Then they all stand up again
16 targets stand up until hit for a total of 2 minutes
16 targets stand up until hit for a total of 1 minute
16 targets stand up until hit for only a total of 30 seconds
A Blast!

Safety meeting for Friday’s handgun round, paperwork, and entry fee at hand gun range 1 will be at 9:00 am sharp- if anything be a little early.

Safety meeting for Saturday’s rifle events, paperwork if not done yet, and entry fee will be at 7:00 am sharp -here again if you have not taken care of the paperwork yet try to show up a little early.

I will say that the sweet part about shooting here is everything runs smooth and fast, be it a beginner or experinced, you will do well, there are plenty of folks willing to answer any questions you have for a good day of shooting.

After each event is finished the results are on paper and ready to annouce before most folks have their equipment packed up. The complete range is divided into six identical ranges that have targets stand up, drop if hit and lay down if the alloted time runs out for a hit. This is all done by a computer programed system. After the last shot is fired they just hit print and the results are listed by hits and time- very fast results.

Hope to meet some new folks and see some old friends.

If you know you are for sure coming let me know, Nick prefers to get an idea as far as possible shooter numbers.

There is a designated bleacher area behind the hot line/shooters area for folks that are not shooting any of the events and want to come and watch.

Safety is always stressed here but not to the point being over excessive.

But with that said, please keep any alcholic beverages off the base

On Saturday, unless something changes, we will have a truck show up around noon with hot & cold food and drinks for lunch. Gut truck with actually good food.

As stated earlier membership and shooting fees cover misc. insurance, and base fees.
But all in all its cheap entertanment and fun, and a bunch of us have walked away with table prizes for finishes that supersede any fees.

Here is a link for more info
Fort McCoy 2009

$50.00 rooms at the Super 8 in Tomah a few minutes away from base

Cheers
Jeff

Do they have a time line for Saturday? Is the short range stuff first, then the 1000m?

Thanks

Saturday
Located at rifle range 2

First match event
Can be shot standing in a pit, kneeling or prone – most folks go prone
100 to 500 meter short course 40 targets individual shooter event --- can have a spotter
Each individual shooter will have 40 targets and allowed 80 rounds
A great time

Then the second match event
Most folks go prone
2 man team event 20 targets 500 to 1000 meters
Each shooter will have 20 targets and 40 rounds of ammo allowed
Also a great event as well

Then the Zombie
2 man team event Zombie Chaos run 100 to 1000 meters 64 targets total possible
Shooters have unlimited rounds
16 targets stand up until hit for a total of 3 minutes
16 targets stand up until hit for a total of 2 minutes
16 targets stand up until hit for a total of 1 minute
16 targets stand up until hit for only a total of 30 seconds
A Blast!

Safety meeting for Friday’s handgun round, paperwork, and entry fee at hand gun range 1 will be at 9:00 am sharp- if anything be a little early.

Safety meeting for Saturday’s rifle events, paperwork if not done yet, and entry fee will be at 7:00 am sharp -here again if you have not taken care of the paperwork yet try to show up a little early.

Cheers

oops sorry about that... I didn't make it all the way through third grade for nothin.

bullseye13

Not a problem

Questions? Ask away ---the shoot is a blast

Cheers
oneshot.onehit

Folks will be able to sight in and practice on Friday after all handgun events are done and folks move to rifle range 2. You then can see all the targets and sight in.

Folks will be able to sight in and practice on Friday after all handgun events are done and folks move to rifle range 2. You then can see all the targets and sight in.

Rereading your original ininerary, I see I scanned right past that as well... I'll slap myself in the forehead and shut up now.

Thanks for your time oneshot.onehit

Oneshot.,

Myself and another man will see you on Sat morning. We're looking forward to it.

-Will

Another great shoot

Plenty of wind with gust hitting in the 30s, with targets still dropping all the way to 1000 meters, we had a good group of shooters show up and it was great to see some old friends again.

Congrats to all the match winners

Thanks to Vortex for all the cool prizes given out!

Cheers
Jeff

Last edited: