• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wich bullet weight 300WM?

LongshotSA

Private
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2009
Somewhere in South Africa
Hi guys, I have seen this question another thread so sorry to repeat it but the answers werent that clear.
I live in South-Africa so our choices in rifles arent that great, sort of take what you get.
I've just recieved my 300Winny Remington Sendero SFII with a 1:10twist 26inch barrel (beautifull rifle) and want to start reloading.
I allready have the following bullets ( I also reload for my a 30-06 Sako )
168 and 190gr Berger VLD's
180 Nosler partitions
180 Hornady interlocks
168 SMK's
165 Nosler Accubonds

Is it possible that the 165/190gr bullets will stabilize in my rifle?
What is the usual optimal bulletweight for this twist rate?
Is it possible to shoot lighter bullets (150gr) accurately? If yes, how?
Are you guys using faster or slower burning powders? ( the American powders are very scarce in SA so the name wont help me)

Thanx a lot for your input!!!!!

Re: Wich bullet weight 300WM?

208 gr Hornady Amax w/ H1000 powder......this is what I'm working with in My Rem 700P.

How's things in South-Africa?

give a box of the 155 scenar's a try i shoot those out of a 1 in 10 twist but it isnt a 300 wsm just a 308

Try the 165 Accubonds with 82.5gr of RL-25. Super velocity with a tough bullet. Excellent trajectory to 600yds which is 99% of hunting conditions.

My 1-10 twist really likes the 180 interlocks that you already have at 3100fps . I'm not sure how they will hold up to your larger game, but worth a try. For paper punching, look for the 210 Sierra Match Kings- as stated above

Actually doing quite well in SA, Dan. thank you guys for the posts so far, asked the same question in a SA forum about two weeks ago and still no answer.

Will try to get my paws on some 210grainers and load them up as well.

Wont use the winny on game untill July, but will comment on the performance, at this stage the first load that groups will be used to shoot baboons on the hills of my cousin's farm. They are very alert and we seldom get shots at them closer than about 400yards. Hope that we can park about 600yards from them and get in a couple of shots before they realize where we are and take off.

I really love the 168gr bergers in my 30-06, I have used them to take a couple of animals from 100-500pounds and they are great. Hope they will group in the Winny.

The Hornadys do very well on our tougher game like the Blue wildebeest, but that is from my 30-06, hope they are up to the winny's velocity.

Baboon Hunting? Is there a season or are they considered nuisance animals?

That sounds like about as close to "The Most Dangerous Game" as you can get without risking jail time!

Can you use a supressor?

Nuisance animals, they kill newborn sheep, raid the orchids and take anything that isnt nailed down. The big males can kill large dogs without too much trouble and they can even kill leopards if they are in the right mood (havent seen this but heard it from a couple of people).
Some farmers pay up to $45 per baboon (if my maths and currency conversion is right).

I cannot find 205 Amax, is there an alternative?

LS,

Look into the GS Bullets from SA. They make some specifically geared towards your hunting and also some geared toward long distance accuracy.

Thanks

I would look at the 190 Berger you already have. That is a great bullet, and will shoot well at long range. It is a great hunting bullet, and will typically penetrate about 18"-20" dispersing all it's energy into the target. I don't hunt baboon's here (LOL!), so I can't comment on how tough they are. But I would love to try it!

Wow.....pretty power full creatures!
190's will take them down no problem out of a 300 win mag. For more dangerous came I'd use Nosler Partitions, 200 gr and up. I hunted moose and would have not thought twice about shooting them through the shoulder to break them down with a partition with a 180 gr out of my 06. I did tests them them and retain their weight and pentration is awesome. I shot a 250# black bear with a 150 or 165 gr (can't remember)partition and destroyed the whole side of him, from the neck to the ass at 150 yds out of a 06.

Best of luck down there in SA.

The GS custom bullets are fantastic, I know the owner Gerrard Schultz. The only "problem" with the GS is that they are moly coated.
I have had terrible experiences with moly in my 22-250, and decided its not the way for me. My 22-250 shot the 40gr GS bullet @ 3950-4000 fps and it penetrated like you would not believe, but accuracy and FOULING was terrible. A couple of my shooting buddies use the GS HV and they love the accuracy and penetration.

I like the Bergers very much and I am busy developing a load for them right now.

The biggest baboon I have shot was a male that weighed 105 lbs and stood about 32 inches at the shoulder.
They are not that tough compared to some of the other animals we have, so penetration is not that big a factor, but they are so wily that the range at which they are shot is very long.
PS. Excuse my grammar and spelling but English is my third language.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheyenne19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run the 210VLD's with a slow burning powder. I use retumbo. </div></div>

+1 on 210 VLDs no reason to try others yet. I use N160 Going to try H1000 (when I get the chance)

I have hunted our great country twice by Ellisras and will return this September for the third time in the Kalahari.

Every cartridge/caliber has a most efficient combo. For the 308Win it's 165gr, the 30/06 it's 180gr and for the 300WinMag, it's 200gr. For most shooting with the 300WinMag, you will notice no difference between a 190gr and a 200gr bullet if that bullet is designed for the task at hand.

For the 300WinMag, you have a good barrel for slower powders and 190-200gr bullets.

I saw my brother shoot a Warthog through the eye and the bullet only made it 3/4 of the way through the body lengthwise. That was with a 180gr Trophy Bonded in his 300WinMag. I shot a Waterbuck facing me a few days later right through the heart with the bullet stopping under the skin on the rear end. Better performance from a penetration standpoint with my 165gr Trophy Bonded out of a 19.7" 308Win R93 Tracker. The difference, my bullet was going slower and his was way to fast for the close shot in the bushveld. Choose your bullet based on the use and your barrel will handle everything from 150gr to 220gr just fine.

For light bullets I use 165 grain Hornady SSTs in my 1 in 10 .300WM.

My Heavy bullet is the 208 grain Hornady A-Max...

RL22 for powder...

Both are MOA or less loads.

The part of SA where I live and mostly hunt is in the Free State. The area is mostly grass savannas and flat as an pancake. Most shots are taken at 150m plus. The last 5 animals I shot were all more than 250 meters away.

When I hunt in the Bushveld ( Ellisras Sabi etc. ) I usually take my 30-06 with 200gr Nosler partitions. I load them to about 2300fps as the longest shot I have taken in the bushveld was about 70 meters away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">210vld's and 4831sc </div></div>

what weight of powder and velocity are you getting with that combo?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">210vld's and 4831sc </div></div>

Jeez Glen- You use 4831sc for EVERYTHING? How is it on a burger??

I will have to ask luke what his load is. I havnt shot a 300wm for a couple years. Its allot more than the book says, but he shoots them just past 3000fps with a 26" rock barrel. And yes, it kicks...

Good reason i use 4831sc...It works great and there is plenty of it around here. I don't use if for everything, Varget in the 308, N550 or 4350 in my 6x47 and RE19 in the Lapua. actually, the only thing i use it in anymore is my 7wsm. I can cram a bunch of those little kernels in the case..and it do shoot..

4350 is good to, but its much more harder to chew and doesn't meeter well.