• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wich Rings?

JDBraddy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2011
San Antonio, TX.
Have a 700 AAC-SD in .308, have decided to return the Leupold EFR I've been using back to my SB Sillouette rifle, and am purchasing a used FFP Bushnell 6-24X50 Elite Tactical scope for it. Since I don't yet have a DBM and still load the mag from the top, I feel a one piece Picitinny rail really gets in the way, yet I still want the 20 MOA built into the base, so I ordered a 20 MOA two piece bases from Nightforce, but I'm also going from a 1" scope to a 30mm so will need new rings. Given the two piece bases are not going to be perfectly level, and bearing in mind that price does matter, what rings should I use?

6007683362_8fbd51c0de_z.jpg

Re: Wich Rings?

So can no one here tell me how to deal with these 20moa two piece bases being different heights, so that I can mount the scope without twisting or putting undue pressure on my scope tube? I tried calling SWFA and they couldn't tell me, and after several attemps, I've been unable to get anyone at Nightforce on the phone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JDBraddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So can no one here tell me how to deal with these 20moa two piece bases being different heights, so that I can mount the scope without twisting or putting undue pressure on my scope tube? I tried calling SWFA and they couldn't tell me, and after several attemps, I've been unable to get anyone at Nightforce on the phone. </div></div>

JDB - on your original post your question was which height rings to get I think there is a post in the optics section that addresses this. In your case the front mount should be the one used for rail height. The mounts will be parallel so get a set that work on the front:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1433025#Post1433025

If you purchased two piece Nightforce 20MOA mounts and those mounts are pre-drilled for Rem700 then you should not have to worry about the scope being aligned with the rings (unless the receiver and scope mounts holes on the receiver are off). The Nightforce mounts are not like a standard Leupold mount or dovetail mount where you would really need to watch rotation of the ring for correct alignment.. If you want to worry about making sure they rings are perfectly aligned you could get a lapping bar/alignment kit but that is a whole other ball of wax that I doubt is needed with Nightforce mounts.

JMHO

The bases will be sloped/angled so that the rings will align, same as a one piece base. If they do not line up due to your action being drilled incorrectly, thats a whole different issue that needs to be handled by a gunsmith. Do yourself a favor and go one piece. It does not occlude the loading area significantly enough to justify messing around with the two piece set up.