• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Widener's mil spec bullets?

DOCatRU

Private
Minuteman
May 1, 2008
Has anyone had experience with these three bulk mil-spec bullets sold by Widener's? They're not Sierra and I know you get what you pay for, but if there is not an enormous difference in quality it might make good quality practice ammunition.

MIL-SPEC 30 CAL 168GR BTHP MATCH BULLETS $93.00 per 500

MB118 MIL-SPEC 30 CAL 175GR FMJBT SNIPER BULLET $95.00/500

MB2275HP 500 22CAL 75GR HPBT $65.00

Thanks,

DOC

Re: Widener's mil spec bullets?

I have used the 168BTHP and 175FMJBT. In my experience they are about 1moa bullets at best. Not "match grade" but better than bulk bullets. For the price, they are sufficient for banging steel out to about 600yds. Neither one flys as flat as a SMK or AMAX, the boatail configuration is different enough compared to SMK/AMAX that they don't have similar BC's. Really makes a difference beyond 600yds and they're tumbling at 900 (.308Win).

The one's I have left, I use just for postion shooting, from the prone it's too frustrating.

I've shot quite a few of the 75s in 200 yard reduced matches. MOA is about right. I cost myself more points tahn the bullets do.

The 168's run on average about 169.5 (on my scale). Out of my really accurate HB rifle, the groups are about 1.75 inches. Good to 400 for badguys. JMHO

Thanks folks -- this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

My local range only goes out to 300 yards so ballistic behavior beyond that is not an issue. I was thinking that these bullets would provide some less expensive trigger time for me to practice positions and mechanics. Then I should periodically pull out the SMK or Nosler reloads to validate any improvement in consistency of the mechanics.

DOC

anyone shot any of these lately??? wodnering if they improvd quality control at all

I have seen no changes from the 75's that I got in Feb 09 to the 75's that I got in June of '10. All of them were a little worse than MOA from both of my 223's.

The 175's are a MOA bullet in a rifle that is usually around 1/2MOA with Amax's at 200-400yd.