• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wierd AR Stock Question

RoosterShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2011
Kentucky
I have a buddy that's tight on money right now, and he's trying to come up with a 'fix' for his AR M4 Buttstock issue. I couldn't think of anything, so I thought I'd ask here. Surely someone has had the same issue in the past years.

He has a MilSpec buffer tube, but a Commercial M4 Stock.

How do you 'tighten up' the play between the two and rig the stock so that it doesn't have so much play in it?

A new stock or buffer tube isn't in the cards for him right now. I feel sorry for the guy, and thought that maybe I'd give him a milspec buttstock, but I'm all out of spare parts at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Re: Wierd AR Stock Question

Use electrical tape on the tube. I put tape (2-3 inches long) in two locations parallel with the tube to take the slop out of mine although my stock/tube were not mismatched like that. He'll likely need the tape a couple of layers thick. I'd start with 3 locations for his fit with longer pieces of tape. I hope that helps.

Brian

A new tube costs 20 bucks, my suggestion would be penny pinch for a week and buy the right tube. other than that the tape doesn't sound like a bad temp fix

A basic carbine stock is pretty dang cheap.

I've heard of the tape method, and I've heard of the tape coming loose and wedging tight becoming a P.I.T.A.

Also you can take a soldering iron, wood burner, or the like and stipple the inside of the stock tube.

Don't get a commercial tube. Rather spend the money on a mil-spec stock.
Basic m4 stock is cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andy T</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't get a commercial tube. Rather spend the money on a mil-spec stock.
Basic m4 stock is cheap. </div></div>

Cheap and all that you need in a typical AR set up. I saw and didn't like the new stock on the 6940. This is a case of more stock/more pieces is less, to me.

New tube is $20, but I think Andy is right. That is the beauty of ARs, pieces are parts, lots of choices.