• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wife's new hunting rifle.

swarrick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
Commiefornia (Ridgcrest)
It started life as a standard .308 SPS, then I removed the tupperware stock, then replaced it with a factor second from Boyd. The barrel channel was for a magnum barrel contour but still to narrow for the contour of the SPS's barrel. After removing material from the barrel channel and insuring nothing touched or rubbed, the action was bedded with Devcon. Here is where I screwed up. The stock came to me with nasty polyurethane on it and after bedding I decided to remove it and then do a hand rubbed oil finish. In hindsight I should have done this before bedding. After removing the poly and fixing the places where I gouged the wood I hand rubbed 7 coats of boiled linseed oil with 24hr dry time between coats and finished it off with 3 coats of bee's wax.
Optic is a Luppy 4.5-14x40mm and, trigger has been lightened down to 2lbs. I loaded up a couple rounds with 42.5gr Varget under a 165SGK in LC brass and federal primmer all loaded to 2.810 COAL.
Here are the pics, sorry the camera SUCKS. The shot group is 4rds, that is all I had after getting it dialed in. My Wife shot this group and she loves her new deer rifle. Can't wait to make it back to Texas for season with this.

Yes I know I need lower rings.

001.jpg

rem308.jpg

rem3084.jpg

rem3083.jpg

rem3082.jpg

Re: Wife's new hunting rifle.

Chop that bitch down to 20"!!! Your wife will thank you if she has to pack it at all.

I like the look of a good grained wood!

very nice work sir! I am sure she loves it. And if not.... I can send you my address where you can send it! Haha

That's a pretty classy looking rifle, good luck to your wife this hunting season!!!

DBrace- sorry she is not going to let it go.

JCH-I am unsure if that is what Remington calls the contour but that is what I would call it.

Purty rifle Swarrick, hope the wife appreciates it. Me and the Mrs. will be taking our 308s out for elk this week!

Nice, but I have to ask, a varmint contour barrel for a hunting rifle?

Bevan I dont know what contour you would have prefered but the Varmint contour works for me. Not to heavy and very accurate. I am not a big fan of super light rifles, they tend to cause shooters to flinch.

I think the varmint contour is about right for a hunting rifle. unless you want a true mountain rifle. I just picked up a huntin rifle, a Sako Classic with a thin barrel. I love it but am going to sell/trade it for something a medium or varmint contour. I just cant hold steady off anything except a bench with a too light rifle.

My type of hunting involves a lot of walking and the marginal payoff in accuracy of carrying a heavy barreled rifle doesn't outweigh the fact that it's a pain in the ass for me. I would however guess that you're stand hunting or similar where it's not a concern.

I really like that finish on the stock. I use boiled linseed as well but never get the look you attained. Mine usually get a little shiny. How did you get the finish you have. What brand boiled linseed did you use? Really like the look. WOW.

Anthony C- I use the store brand Boiled Linseed oil from ACE hardware. I pour about the size of a nickel in the palm of my hand and then rub them to gather until they get HOT. I then rub the stock and keep the hands HOT while rubbing the stock with the grain. Each coat I use 2-3 nickel size's of oil and rub in thoroughly. After the 7th coat I wiped on 3 coats of Howards Feed-N-Wax. I would have used regular wax but this is what I had. The wax really seals it up and preserves the wood. As with her other hunting rifle that I did with Tung Oil, I will apply a couple coats every year just to keep it up.