• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WiFi target monitoring

ssgp2

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2004
montreal,Canada
Part 1

Why?

Shooting long range target is a lot of fun, but it`s a pain to drive down to the target to see the results.
Unless your shooting at a range where you have target service(Highpower) or using steel, seeing holes trought your optic past 400yds is tricky.

Many solutions are available if you have the funds to persue them, but if your like me(cheap), you want a solution that does not break the bank.

My solution is not exactly cheap, but is versatile enought to justify the money spent.

The problem;

I shoot at a military range where we used to have access to a target monitoring system in which the sonic boom of the bullet passing trought the target would be detected and display on a screen with 1 mm precision.

We got spoiled with this system for a couple of years and budget cuts terminated our access to the system.

I wanted a system that would allow multiple users to monitor they`re targets.
The system had to be affordable, simple, easy to pack/unpack and easy to use.

The articles I read on a couple of forums where interesting, but did not satisfied me since the equipment where limited to that task only.

I was looking for a system that could use equipment that I already have or could use for other things.

The WiFi technology is everywere, I am sure that most of you use it at work and probably at home.
Therefore, you already have and are familliar with the equipment.

Also, since WiFi is mainly design for computers.
The possibilty are endless, hardware,software,etc.

I bought an Ipod Touch for many reasons, but having a ballistic software in a compact package was very interesting.
The Ipod using the WiFi technology was a bonus.

Again, I wanted something that all my buddies could use and many already had laptops or planniing to buy a Palm/Ipod.

PART 2

What you need

Display;
Laptop, IPod, Palm, anything that will receive and display a WiFi image.
Use whatever you have now. (I will be referring to the IPod in the following text, but all info applies to other display except in regards of software,
web browser being the exception)

Camera;
They are called network camera and are distinctive by there Ethernet connector(RJ-45) and WiFi antenna.
I suggest to pick a camera from the list below as they are compatible with Mobiscope software live feed video(IPod).
http://www.mobiscope.com/cameras/

To transmit over long distance, you will need a signal booster and antenna.

Antenna;
I strongly suggest you go with a Yagi or Patch antenna. They are directional antenna that will transmit the signal mostly towards your position(20 degrees).
An Omni antenna will transmit 360 degrees, therefore less range for the same transmission power

Signal booster;
Your camera will transmit the signal up to about 20'.
You need to boost that signal to reach your shooting position and IPod.

I started with a booster that attach itself directly into the antenna output of the camera and up to the Patch antenna. I had no problems and work perfectly at 600 meters.
I changed the booster because I wanted a model that would be able to handle multiple cameras.
More on this later.....

So, you have your IPod,camera, booster and antenna.
Once you switch everything on, you'll need to set your IPod to the WiFi network of the camera in the "Settings" Apps.

Operating with a web browser
Open the Safari web browser and write the IP address of the camera.
A picture from the camera will appear. You will need to refresh the address every-time you want to update the picture.
Bookmarking your camera address makes the process easier.

Operating with Mobiscope
Go to "my camera" press "+" and write the camera IP address and select the model and brand of the camera in the selection"add camera model"
Some camera might have a "user" and "password" protocol to fill up before you can access the feed.
Don't worry about it, this info comes in the camera's manuel and you'll need to enter it only once in the Mobiscope program.

Operating with a laptop
The software provide with the camera will allow you to have a live feed video.

Multiple cameras and displays transmission.

My primary goal was to find a system that would allow multiple users to monitor they're targets with the same base of transmission.
The other design I read about where limited to one or a few users, the WiFi system can handle multiple cameras and displays.
That is where you can save $$$$$.

Our shooting club agreed on paying for the antenna, signal booster, router(2) and switch(16 port), cost was less than 1 000$ ca.

Any member who wants to use the system has to bring his camera, ethernet cable and IPod. 110v outlets are provided.

How it works.

Shooters place they're camera in front of the target, run the ethernet cable from the camera to the switch.

The person in charge of the system plugs in the switch to the router and antenna.
Another router, called a repeater, is on the shooting line.
This router will receive the info from the antenna down range and retransmit to the IPods.

The tricky part is done by our WiFi supplier who configured the routers to communicate together before we deployed them.
This part is beyond my expertise and you will have to get the info from your supplier.
Actually, I would make it a condition for sale, that all components are configured before buying them.
The configuration is done once and can be downloaded to your hard drive in case it needs to be reloaded.

Cost;

1 user = 650$(detail below)
IPod = 250$
Camera = 200$
Signal booster for 1 camera = 100$
Antenna = 100$

Multiple user add 450$(detail below)
Router repeater = 150$
Switch = 100$
Signal booster for multiple cam = 300$

Links;

Booster
1 camera
http://www.cellextreme.com/cart/index.ph...amp;language=en

Multi camera booster
http://www.gblmedia.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=657
power supply
http://www.i4-wifi.com/index.php?p=productsMore&iProduct=151&sName=alfa-apoe02

Antenna
http://www.cellextreme.com/cart/index.ph...amp;language=en

Switch
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=71

Router
Repeater
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/CA/en/products/WRT54GL

Signal from a Yagi

Signal from a Omni

Multiple cam system with Omni antenna

Switch

Patch antenna

PS; A BIG THANKS TO ARROWHEAD FOR ALL THE WORK HE PUT IN TO THIS SYSTEM.
HE MADE THIS POSSIBLE!

Re: WiFi target monitoring

WOW!

I've been waiting on info like this and you hit a homerun.

Being I love guns and long range shooting plus I'm a techie this is right up my alley.

Thanks for the details and excellent pics!
Whisper

THANKS FOR FOLLOWING UP ON YOUR LAST POST!!

Here are some more pictures of the prototype of the single shooter system

All the system fits in a mobile tool box

Power pack inside tool box for the camera and booster

The antenna can be mounted directly on the tool box. At the time I used an "omni" antena it gave me signal up to 850y, past that the signal fades rapidly. If you use a YAGI or PATCH antena like ssgp2's you should <span style="text-decoration: underline">in theorie </span>have a range of 1600-1700y but we have not tested it yet

IP camera with signal booster

Router in the vehicule to receive and distribute the signal to the ipods/laptops (there is a magnetic antenna on the top of the truck)

The reason to have this router on the firering line is because if you shoot in prone position your ipod/laptop will have a hard time receiving to signal because you are to close to the ground. Any domestic router can do the job...

Image of the target on the ipod. The ipod is in an arm band for jogging on my forearm, this way its very easy to access it and at the same time its protected from de rain

This would be fantastic to keep track of my workers progress and not have to leave the office. Just got back and its ferkin hot still.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This would be fantastic to keep track of my workers progress and not have to leave the office. Just got back and its ferkin hot still. </div></div>

There you go! That is what ssgp2 was saying, the system can be used for many things, video monitoring, with the ipod you can listen to music whatch movies, play games while your barrel is cooling down and you even have a nice ballistc program for it (ballistic FTE) And for a bonus you even found a way to put your target monitoring system on your business expanses
wink.gif

Nice! Thanks for the info ssgp2.

Nice job arrowhead!
0059.gif

Looking forward to see you soon.
smile.gif

Well, for what it's worth, ya gots my vote!

Some time ago, I had a thread about the acoustical target system, and inquiries and whatnot. This is bigger/badder/better/more-gooder.

I aspire to mimic, in the future.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arrow, PM sent </div></div>

Sorry did'nt get your pm
frown.gif

We are happy with the system and we'll keep looking on ways to improve it.

Right now, the camera is the weak link.
The models that we use are worth about 200$ca and a higher quality cam would cost about 5 to 600$.
Not knowing how much of an improvement it would be, I am not ready to spend the money yet.

What I find frustrating is that for 200$ you can buy a digital camera(photo) that will have over 5Meg resolution.

I understand that these resolution would slow down the transmission of the data(10 shooters downloading at the same time), but we could adjust the resolution to fit our needs

The solution would be to find an adapter that would take the USB from the camera and connect to the RJ45 of the modem.

Below are pictures saved from the screen.
The system allow me to connect to each shooter's camera and see they're targets.
I am able to do that by simply opening the bookmark on the Safari browser and choose the address I want.

Hell, that's plenty of resolution for what I do. However I am shooting out in the middle of nowhere, so I have to come up with a a vehicle portable power system. No, a generator is not an option.

I am wondering how long I could power the system with a motorcycle battery.

tagged, i'm interested in this. could you set up a basic network, like one you would use in your home to link multi pc's to a printer and a powerful N router. i keep thinking of the polycom units we used in school that you could connect to and use view laptop, not sure of pda or smart phone capability.

I am sort of a tech geek and I have some ideas to make this better. Let me explain the components of my ideal set up.

Mi-fi: uses the Sprint or Verizon data networks and created a localized (10-20 feet) wi-fi hotspot that you can use to connect to the internet. This is running for $49 US with a 2 yr contract at ~$60 US per month

Standard USB webcam - I like the ones from logitech, good resolution and decent price point. Good ones are around $100 US.

Netbook, laptop: This will connect to the webcam to send the signal out to the internet. Alternatively some IP cameras have the capability to broadcast over the internet using the connecting devices IP address (the mi-fi device).

Power: I would use a battery with a USB connector built in. You can charge it at a wall and the battery should last at least 5 hours. $40 US @ http://voltaicsystems.com/backpack_batterypack.shtml

Basically I would hook up the webcam to a laptop to broadcast to the internet, or use an IP camera to broadcast. Both would be hooked up to a mi-fi at the target site.

The shooter can then connect to the internet through their desired method and grab the stream from the internet. If connected to a laptop a software can be used to rebroadcast to the network.

The power supply would only need to power the webcam or IP camera, because the mi-fi uses a built in battery that lasts about 5 hours.

Mi-fi: $60 + $60/month
Webcam: $100
Netbook: start at $250
Power supply: $40 dollars
Receiving device: iPad $499, netbook ~$250, etc.

This biggest disadvantage to this is that it can really only be used by one person unless the other targets are within the mi-fi range. Bandwidth is not usually an issue unless you are talking about more than three or four streams depending on the bitrate. Some webcams can be changed to only take a picture every "X" number of seconds, but that depends on the software availability.

If you want to set up a range system you could set one up at a comparable price, or charge for its use to subsidize the cost.

I would create a very small berm behind the camera to protect it. Hook up each camera at the desired position and attached to a laptop down range. Then connect the laptop to the cameras, via a USB hub, and then connect to a network switch and send an ethernet cable to the shooters position, or if you buy the right switch, a cat-5 cable. The cat-5 cable (basic cable thing, black, round) is desirable over an ethernet cable because of price per foot and ethernet loses signal over distance much faster than ct-5 does.

The the ethernet or cat-5 cable hooks up to a wifi router and brodcasts the signals. A simple software is probably available to assign a unique local IP or something similar to differentiate the signals and broadcast them over a LAN (local area network).

The shooter would have the option to connect to their stations camera over wi-fi or through some sort of wired connection. The range would have to supply power to the laptop and the cameras downrange.

cameras: $100 US per camera
switch: less than $50 US
USB hub: $20 US
laptop: $250 dollars
cat-5 cable: depends on the length, for several hundred feet you can purchase this quantity at a low rate from your local cable company normally. I would guess around $300 US for a 200 yd range.
wi-fi router: $70 US (please dont buy netgear, get linksys)
device to connect to wi-fi: start at $99 for an iPhone 3G with a contract

The advantage of a cat-5 cable compared to a directional wi-fi antenna is primarily bandwidth. I have seen some very well done over the air LAN's that get amazing bandwidth, but if y'all aren't getting the best wired is the way to go. Not only that but you can't mess the signal up by standing in front of the antenna. Cat-5 will give you at least 15mbps for standard cat-5.

Let me know your comments or questions. If yall want me to find out specifics let me know. If someone offered to build it and pay for part of it a range might be willing to go for the installation. It could all be done in a few hours after the berm is set up.

Of course, being a tech guy, I know that a few hours will turn into a whole day when things don't work the way they are supposed to.

Ritz, I like the second idea better if it is for a permenant range, but its not very flexible. The first idea would work great except for two things. 1) It requires two mi-fi devices with contract that dont have unlimited plans and if streaming video could cause an overage of your data plan (twice). 2) It would only work if you had a signal something that alot of shooting areas my not have.

You are right to both. I am in the Dallas area, but even when I go about an hour into the middle of nowhere Verizon has pretty good data coverage. I am from Houston though and I know what you mean about no signal.

I like my wired system better because of the unreliability of those wi-fi directional antennas. Depending on the quality they go for you can be pretty limited in bandwidth there too.

Mi-fi's have a 5GB a month cap. A video stream like that is pretty low bit-rate. It would take a long while to cap out, and you can normally adjust the bit-rate from the software. If you have a wi-fi connection from your shooting station (like from the clubhouse) you would not need two with my first set up.

However, agreed, both are limited, but my second one I like better because it would probably need less maintenance and tinkering over time. When you are dealing with a range that probably does not have the most tech savvy employees and they are relying on it for sales, then you or someone else could end up fixing it a lot.

Just my two cents though.

Thanks for taking the time to share this, and any updates?

M Richardson

Forget most WiFi. Go old school.
Old mini camcorder with composite out. Has optical zoom. Broadcast in color with real time audio.
On the receiver end, hows about a portable DVD player with composite inputs? They are hard to find but and excellent one can be had at Sam's right now. Sony DVP-FX94. Color and real time audio from camera location.

Re: It works!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davidj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know anything about this??

http://www.prweb.com/releases/target-cam/1000yardrange/prweb4579314.htm#</div></div>

I visited the website. They really don't know their market. The headline on the home page reads, "This Season Sight in your rifle
better and faster than ever before!" and shows a white tail with a rack that doesn't go outside the ears.

How many deer hunters do you know that need a wireless camera to spot their shots when they go to the range once a season? The small version goes 300 yards, which a spotter for the same price can do for cheaper and without batteries.

The LR version is nice at $725. I have been in the market for a spotting scope for a while. I was thinking of getting a Kowa Prominar, but for what I need it for, a wireless system is probably better. Then I can add a Vortex spotter and now I have a field spotter for ranging in the field and a camera that can go 1,000 yards for target shooting, all for less than the price of an 88mm Kowa Prominar. Hmmm...

Very cool concept would like to see some systems hit the market.

Just an idea. Don't know if it would work for what you need. You can get a Verizon data card off of ebay for around 80 bucks. Verizon does month to month plans if you already purchased the card. If you run the system to your laptop then you can use the laptop as your wifi router. Then the rest of the shooters can access the wifi. You could set up a blog or a easy website with links to all the cameras for a live stream so the other shooters could just bookmark the website and which camera they would want to use/view. Monthly data usage would be a concern to look into here.
This free software allows a laptop to be used as a router to other devices.
http://download.cnet.com/Connectify/3000-18508_4-75024171.html?tag=mncol

Thanks for the info. Tagged for a cool idea.

This seems simplistic but what about two iphone 4's and "face timing" your target, have one down by the target, connect to the one you on your person. If you are in a 3G area you wouldn't even need wifi. It would be very portable. I may try this out when I am home.

Apple face time requires a wifi connection. You could use Tango which will work over 3G.

Quite expensive considering the cost of 2 iphones and data service. If you already have the phones between a friend and yourself then consider the cost of replacement if the phone gets damage downrange.