• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wildcat Cartridges

Re: Wildcat Cartridges

Whats your definition of wildcat? To some thats simply an improved version of a standard cartridge.

2011-11-25_12-30-27_4.jpg

On left 300 Norma Mag 40° Imp. 109 grains of water capacity.
Middle is the parent case 103 grains of water capacity.
Right is a 243 Win with a 115 DTAC for compairison.

6x47l with 115's,30-375 Ruger 240 SMK,375 Cheytac 350 Hooker solid-standardized now but I used to neck down 408CT.
DSC00028.jpg

6mmAR Turbo 40 degree 105 Amax on right next to 223.
DSC00124.jpg

I used to have 218 Bee AI,17 Hornet AI,260 AI,6-284. I like wildcats.

375 Chatfield-Taylor, sitting at PacNor while I type.

338-06, is that still considered a wildcat?

Here is a 6.5-280 Ackley Improved stuffed into a Wyatt magazine. Next to it are .308 Winchester and .260 Remington.

6.5-280AckleyImproved-450x600.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Middle is the parent case.</div></div>

What's the water capacity of the standard 300 Norma mag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much water does a 338L hold? </div></div>

According to Wikipedia:
338LM 114 grains
300LM 113 grains

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your 6.5-06 AI loaded with the 155 SMK's ?</div></div>
in the picture above, yes, my 6.5-<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">280AI</span></span></span> is loaded with 6.5mm 155 grain SMK's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your 6.5-06 AI loaded with the 155 SMK's ?</div></div>
in the picture above, yes, my 6.5-<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">280AI</span></span></span> is loaded with 6.5mm 155 grain SMK's. </div></div>

What is the difference between a 6.5-06 AI and a 6.5- 280 AI?

the 280 has slightly longer brass than the .30-06 which makes chambering 280 in an 06 not possible.

.280 Remington (parent case of .280AI)
280rem.gif

.30-06
Cartridge_30-06.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: entelodont</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Middle is the parent case.</div></div>

What's the water capacity of the standard 300 Norma mag? </div></div>

Parent case capacity is 103 grains. Going ackley is an increase of 5.8%

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 280 has slightly longer brass than the .30-06 which makes chambering 280 in an 06 not possible.

.280 Remington (parent case of .280AI)
280rem.gif

.30-06
Cartridge_30-06.png
</div></div>

Great information Thanks....Except now I want one

What muzzle velocities do you get with the 140 gr bullets out of the 6.5 - 280 AI....I'll bet the 130 Accubond out of that thing would be like a lightening strike on deer.

I bet the 6.5x280AI is hard on barrels as it holds more powder than a 6.5x284. We only get about 800-1000 shots out of the 6.5x284 cartridge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 280 has slightly longer brass than the .30-06 which makes chambering 280 in an 06 not possible.</div></div>

The shoulder on the .280 Remington case is moved slightly forward, compared to the .270 Winchester case, so that you cannot chamber a .280 Remington cartridge in a .270 Winchester rifle. (The shoulder of 7mm WSM case is also moved forward, compared to the .270WSM case, and for the same reason.)

.243 Winchester has a slightly longer case than its parent, the .308 Winchester. I believe the longer case is a side effect of the necking down procedure and has nothing do with firearms safety.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barrel Nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What muzzle velocities do you get with the 140 gr bullets out of the 6.5 - 280 AI....I'll bet the 130 Accubond out of that thing would be like a lightening strike on deer. </div></div>
I plan to get +3200 fps using the heavier 140 grain bullets. With the 130's it'll be even faster. Barrels are an expendable item for sure. I loaned the reamer to the gunsmith down the road. He can make you one. He's a small one man operation and a great guy to deal with. Don't be surprise if you find that he's out hunting.

Contact Kenny at:
Firearms Machining Services
957 Rose Xing # 31, Kalispell, MT 59901
(406) 755-5116

I have tons of wildcats! I regularly shoot a 243 Catbird, a 6x45 and a 25/222. I'll get some pics!

The Catbird is probably the most fun. It's a 270 case necked to 243, an AI to 40 degrees. It moves an 85 gr bullet over 4,000 fps. Prairie dogs have bad dreams about it!
wink.gif

The 25/222 is also usefull. It's a Sako carbine, weighs about 6 1/2 lbs, and has a couple whitetails and a spike elk to it's credit. (I headshot the elk. I'd never advocate shooting an elk with this.) It has clocked 2973 with a 75 gr V-max, though best accuracy was at about 2850. It only loses 120 fps or so going to an 87 gr pill.

It's not really a wildcat, more a new twist, but my next build is going to be a 450 Marlin with a FAST twist barrel to shoot 600-850 gr bullets subsonic. With soft bullets, it should be capable of pretty large game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: willsnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The 25/222 is also usefull. It's a Sako carbine, weighs about 6 1/2 lbs, and has a couple whitetails and a spike elk to it's credit. (I headshot the elk. I'd never advocate shooting an elk with this.) It has clocked 2973 with a 75 gr V-max, though best accuracy was at about 2850. It only loses 120 fps or so going to an 87 gr pill.

</div></div>

Tell me more about this 25/222, I've been pondering something similar like a 25/223 for an Ar.

The number of calibers out there is just staggering. It amazes me that people still find a need for something different...a wildcat that can *just* slip in between two others.

Ya see, this one here is when you want tge bullet going 2100fps when it hits the deer, this'n here is when you want 2150fps... oh, that one? 2200fps!

Just joking of fourse - all adds to the fun.

My "wildcat" is 284 Win. I call it that because while it IS the parent, the child case took off and became so popular, the parent is almost the wildcat now. I buy Lapua 6.5-284 brass and have to neck up...makes me feel like a wildcatter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My "wildcat" is 284 Win. I call it that because while it IS the parent, the child case took off and became so popular, the parent is almost the wildcat now. I buy Lapua 6.5-284 brass and have to neck up...makes me feel like a wildcatter. </div></div>

If that's the case then the only "regular" caliber I have is .308 Win.

I guess with these parameters here's the list of my "wildcats"
22-250 Ackley
6.5x47 Lapua
284 Win

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My "wildcat" is 284 Win. I call it that because while it IS the parent, the child case took off and became so popular, the parent is almost the wildcat now. I buy Lapua 6.5-284 brass and have to neck up...makes me feel like a wildcatter. </div></div>

22-250 Ackley
6.5x47 Lapua
284 Win </div></div>

I was really only joking!

But...I'd argue your 22-250, that was a very popular cartridge once. These days though - you're right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your 6.5-06 AI loaded with the 155 SMK's ?</div></div>
in the picture above, yes, my 6.5-<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">280AI</span></span></span> is loaded with 6.5mm 155 grain SMK's. </div></div>

Dang,red letters even,LOL. Sorry,ah'hem,OK-OK it's a 6.5-280AI. Well I should at least get some extra points for getting the mysterious projectile right.

Nice wildcat ya got there!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

22-250 Ackley
6.5x47 Lapua
284 Win </div></div>

But...I'd argue your 22-250, that was a very popular cartridge once. These days though - you're right. </div></div>

22-250 was a wildcat once too. Necked down 250 Savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

22-250 Ackley
6.5x47 Lapua
284 Win </div></div>

But...I'd argue your 22-250, that was a very popular cartridge once. These days though - you're right. </div></div>

22-250 was a wildcat once too. Necked down 250 Savage. </div></div>
It's a very OLD wildcat that now has factory brass made for it and has saami spec's for it. Wildcat gone Main Street.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 280 has slightly longer brass than the .30-06 which makes chambering 280 in an 06 not possible.

</div></div>

And the base to shoulder dimension the 280 case is 0.052" longer than the 30-06 and the 270, which is actually what stops a 280 from being chambered in a 270... which would cause an unsafe condition and overpressure event.

I have a 303/270 Lee Enfeild Mk3 model 1

303 knecked down to a .270

need to kneck size a standard 54R 303 case and then full length size it to make it work.

this cartridge was made to skip government issues in NSW Australia about people having .303 ammo

so they rebarrelled their enfeilds to all sorts
303/25
303/270
303/6.5mm (Arisaka)
Also heard about a few guys getting the old Japanese Arisakas and putting those barrels on the Lee Enfield action (there was a major surplus at one point)

The downside to doing all of this was case life wasn't great because of bad headspacing and these rounds weren't very economical powder wise.

other issues were that you couldn't run heavier projectiles in .270 out of a Mk3 smle the reason was because the action wasn't made of hardened steel like the Mk4 was.
I wasn't game enough to run anything over 110 grain sierra spitzer Projectile with 33 odd grains of AR2208 adi powder.

I shoot a 7mm STW. They have since standardized it but mine is still off of the original specs to pump a 140gr bullet as fast as you can. It is a hunting rifle not a long range rifle.

zyecdw.jpg

5.56 spitfire
243 AI
338-300RUM
510 WSM

Sorry, didn't polish them up.

6.5-06 AI is the only one I have unless you call A 6.5X47 Lapua a wild cat,witch I don't think it is. its very main stream around here. But my Dad has a cool wild cat that I have never seen another of. The .360 wby. I wish I had the case to show you. its a 460 wby necked down to 35 cal. Its not really all that fun to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: willsnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Tell me more about this 25/222, I've been pondering something similar like a 25/223 for an Ar. </div></div>

Google 25-45 Sharps.. A new cartridge that is basically a 25/223. factory laoded to original 150 Savage specs- 87 gr @ 3000 fps.

sorry no pics.

8mm-06 in a 1916 98 mauser with a fn barrel
6.5wsm in a remington 700 with krieger barrel

I don't have any pics handy but I've been shooting a 22 K-Hornet & a 30 Herrett for years. They're not long range reach out & touch 'em but they're a lot of fun.

For wildcats I have rifles in:
22BR
6BR
.243AI
7-300wm
.30-.338 win.
.308 Baer
.30-8mm Mag
.30-378 Imp.
.338 Baer
.338-.300RUM
.358STA
.375-.358STA

I have several others in the works but I'm either waiting on reamers, barrels, or actions for all of them.
6-300WSM
6.5-300wm
another 7-300wm
30-338 Lapua Imp
375-338 Lapua Imp
416RUM (I actually have all the parts for this one. I just have to stick it in the lathe)