• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Wiley Clapp Colt lightweight Commander

xdpatriot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
South Texas
I'm not a gunsmith or a certified death dealer. I just thought I'd share an experience I had today.
I have a few 1911's. Kimber Custom ll, SIG tac ops, several Colt's. I went out today and bought a Wiley Clapp Commander. I brought it home and the rain let up so I took it behind my house to my pistol range and let it rip. I ran about 500 rounds through it. I had an assortment of mags and ammo. I used several Chip McCormick 10 rnd. mags and three Colt factory 8 rnd. mags. Two of these came with the pistol I bought today. I shot 100 rnds. of Federal 230 FMJ, 350 rnds. of Remington 230 FMJ, 10 rnds. of Remington 230 JHP, 10 rnds of 150 DRT BHP and 10 rnds of Federal 230 HST JHP.
I shot the Federal 230 FMJ first, through all of the different mags with no problems. I switched to the Remington 230 FMJs next and the McCormick mags wouldn't feed the last round. I've never had this happen in any of my other 1911's, so I switch to my Colt 8 rnd. mags and didn't have any problems UNTIL...
I had my ammo on the front of my Polaris with about 100 rnds. left in the box. The box fell and hit the ground and ammo went everywhere. It's rained around 1 1/2" here in the last several days and the range is caliche, so some of you probably know how sticky that shit is. I cleaned the projectiles off with my shirt tail, but left SOME, not much, of the mud on the casings. I loaded up my 8 rnd. mags and the pistol wouldn't go into battery. I dumped the mag, single shot the round, inserted the mag, racked it and it shot fine. This happened twice. I ran the remaining ammo I had in that box and switched to my JHP ammo. The gun ran fine except for the grip screws coming loose, but I consider that my fault for being excited about a new gun, trying to beat the rain and not checking the screws on a new gun. All in all, I had five malfunctions, 3 on each 10 rnd. mag and 2 with the muddy ammo. +/- 500 rnds. in just under an hour and a half. The gun shot great groups with all the ammo. The accuracy was on point for how I know I can shoot. I stripped the gun and mags when I got to the house, cleaned them all, lubed what I normally do and ran two more mags before putting her in the safe. I really like the gun, look forward to carrying it and just thought I'd share my experience with it. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
That's good to hear! those are Nice pistols and I hope to add one to my hostler one day. Next time you transport your ammo like that try to stock out in a Ziploc bag our something. Your gun will thank you...

I love my Wiley Clapp Commander. I tend to be very accurate shooting this 1911 versus my others. The gun is extremely reliable.

Last edited: