• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

will 22lr kit "lead up" 5.56 barrel/foul gas tube?

marduk185

take my karma boom
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2009
tantric thrust
got a 22lr kit for ar, just wondering if its hard on an ar to run this then switch back to 5.56/.223? if its gonna be a pain to clean up after usin the rimfire ill just keep it for a ruck emergency kit....but it would be neat for cheaper training use if its not horrible on the rifling and gas system. any one know the scoop here?

Re: will 22lr kit "lead up" 5.56 barrel/foul gas tube?

no problems here w/hundreds of rds fun switch on

Here's a cut and paste of a post I did for another form I belong to. Use it for what its worth:

Since the AR bug has hit and everyone is buzzing with saving money I decded to post as to why I don't belive in drop in conversions.

1) .22lr twist rates are not the same as .223! 22lr bullets stabalize in 1:16 inch twists and .223 barrels come in 1:7, 1:8, 1:9, 1:12. .22lr stabalizes in a less agressive barrel because of the fact that it is not as high in velocity as .223 and general speaking the weight of the projectile is about half.
The craziest .22lr HV bullets shoot out at 1700fps.
The average 69gr .223 load comes out at a minimum of 3000fps

2) diameter. .22r are .223, .223 is .224
Every bit counts. that small amount of play will make a diffrence.

3) Copper vs. lead. .223 is copper jacketed. This protects the gas system in the AR upper from becoming fouled. Not to say that fouling of the gas system isnt possible it is less likely than compared with lead .22's or copper WASHED .22lr's. Don't be fooled, copper washed is not even close to copper jacketed.

4) chamber maintance. You have no idea how many times I have had people complaining at the range because of issues with their AR's after shooting .22lr.
You can not shoot any large amount of .22lr through your AR upper and then imediaitly switch to .223. You are just asking for trouble. Since AR conversions use a chamber sleeve that fits into the .223 chamber and then load .22lr ammo into that sleeve you get residue, carbon and other dirt that gets into the chamber after several rounds of .22lr fire. If you imediatly remove the conversion kit and load .223 you MAY have issues chambering and extracting fired rounds. Also because of the fouled chamber you run the risk of increasing chamber pressure which is not a good thing. If a conversion is to be used I cant stress enough that a fantastic cleaning job be performed prior to shooting .223 out of that upper.

Many people have shot .22lr out of their .223 AR uppers with no issues. The above information isnt to be taken as conversions suck or don't work or are not worth it. It is simply to inform you of teh CONS they pose. The biggest CON in my opinion is accuracy. While accurate enough for plinking, AR conversions do not bring the level of accuracy to the table that I like or that a dedicated .22lr rifle or .22lr dedicated upper have. This accuracy insnt seen at indoor ranges at 25 yards but instead at longer ranges in excess of 50 yards. To the average or recreational shooter a .22lr conversion will do just fine as long as teh proper maintance is kept. For the shooter looking for pin-point accuracy........ save your $

i have one and are having no problems what so ever. what i do before i switch back from 22lr to 223 is squirt some break cleaner down the gas tube then clean what comes out the barrel with a bore snake.

I don't know about fouling the gas system but I have seen lead dounuts in the bore just in front of the throat lead in M16's from the use of the 22lr adaptors. That could have been from the cheat GI ammo though. The lead would just push out with a brush and did not seem to harm the rifle.

All the more reason to buy a dedicated .22LR upper.

My spikes tactical kit has THOUSANDS of rounds down the tube. I'd say upwards of 20 thousand. Shoots great, and is a ridiculous amount of fun. Here's a pic of my sbr spikes 10" upper.

11.jpg

that's the route that I think I am going to go with. I figure if i have the quad as my bolt trainer the the spikes should be my ar trainer!