• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will a 168g .338 bullet work in a 1:9.3 barrel?

beaglestorm

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2009
El Paso, TX
I found some .338 AP Solids that are 168g. I have read where too fast a twist can rip a bullet apart. In this case, with the majority of the bullet being a brass solid, I would imagine there is no jacket to rip apart. They are designed to shoot at 3600 FPS, but they have been testing them in 1:12 barrels. Do you think they would work in my 1:9.35 barrel? I was going to ask the company about a group buy, but I want to know what people think about their performance in a faster twist barrel.

Re: Will a 168g .338 bullet work in a 1:9.3 barrel?

Run an RPM comparison and see what you get.

3600fps at 1:12 twist gives you 3600 rev/sec
2790 fps at 1:9.3 gives you 3600 rev/sec

I'm betting that you can run them hotter than that though since it should have a much thicker jacket/steel core.

I thought the same thing since it is solid brass with a steel carbide tip. I want to try a box, I just don't want them destroying my new SRS.

The brass bullets won't hurt your barrel and if you're worried about the can, take it off to do the testing.

If they blow up, stop shooting them.

I called the company today and they will do a group buy. I listed it in the group buy section in case somebody else wants to try these.