• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will a 30-06 chamber be cleaned up by a 300 PRC or 300 Win?

FjallJager

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 8, 2010
    Southern Rockies
    I have a new 30-06 barrel that I bought cheap when I had a LA 30-06 bolt face ARC Nucleus. I had plans to build a short barreled (can) hunting rifle in 30-06.

I ended up selling off all my actions a few months ago when I got a job in Germany. Covid killed the job off, so I am back to buying guns again.

The barrel is new, I think it is a Bartlein or Shilen, I don't remember.

Anyway I have a new Zermatt TL3 that is a magnum bolt face, and it wants to be a gun.

Can the 30-06 barrel be rechambered easily for either 300 PRC or 300 Win.

Looks like the 300 PRC is .17 longer at the neck junction. Is that long enough to clean up the chamber?

I bought this action to build into a 7mm Blaser, but I figured I might as well do something with this old 30-06 barrel at the same time.

26” is definitely not a short barrel. I think it should be doable, but a qualified gun plumber could answer that better than me.

Worst case scenario you have a Smith set back a thread and ream it out. But I don't see why it wouldn't clean it up. The 300 win mag is bigger and longer

Reactions: Im2bent
    It may depend upon the profile and how much of the back end of the barrel you will lose in rethreading it. You have to have a certain amount of meat around the chamber.

I have a new 30-06 barrel that I bought cheap when I had a LA 30-06 bolt face ARC Nucleus. I had plans to build a short barreled (can) hunting rifle in 30-06.

I ended up selling off all my actions a few months ago when I got a job in Germany. Covid killed the job off, so I am back to buying guns again.

The barrel is new, I think it is a Bartlein or Shilen, I don't remember.

Anyway I have a new Zermatt TL3 that is a magnum bolt face, and it wants to be a gun.

Can the 30-06 barrel be rechambered easily for either 300 PRC or 300 Win.

Looks like the 300 PRC is .17 longer at the neck junction. Is that long enough to clean up the chamber?

I bought this action to build into a 7mm Blaser, but I figured I might as well do something with this old 30-06 barrel at the same time.
    The body of the chamber will clean up easily. The place where you could have an issue is the neck diameter. If the reamer used to cut the 30-06 chamber had a larger diameter neck than the one you use for the 300 PRC or the 300 Win Mag, you will have a step in the neck. That can be fixed with a neck reamer.

Reactions: FjallJager