• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will a fluted bartlein #3 (heavy sporter) suffer with a can at 17 inches?

Nivium

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2020
Looking to get a heavy sporter (#3) contour bartlein SS barrel in 308. Will be run with a TBAC dominus or magnus nearly 100% of the time. Going to be fluted and cut to 17.5 inches so diameter and shoulder will be fine for threading. But, my concern is that with a fluted sporter, it might not be stiff enough to keep precision without messing up the harmonics when the can is hanging off the end, but with a 17 inch bbl, might not be a problem.

Any experience with a similar setup? Any notable POI shift or loss in accuracy resulting from the relatively lightweight barrel with a can? The purpose is to cut weight, and my rough maths say I will save more weight with a fluted #3 than with a 16 or 18 inch carbon fiber sendero or sendero light bbl, and I'll save (a little) money. I'm happy to be corrected on that.

Thanks in advance

will a normal #3 work well enough for threads at 17" instead of the normal #3b?

are you cutting a longer #3 down from like 24/26" barrel?

will a normal #3 work well enough for threads at 17" instead of the normal #3b?

are you cutting a longer #3 down from like 24/26" barrel?

According to bartlein, a normal #3 heavy sporter will be fine for threads at 17". I'm avoiding the #3b for weight purposes.

It will be a standard #3 blank (starting at 26 inch, I think) chambered, cut to 17.5 inches, and threaded.

Reactions: b6graham
According to bartlein, a normal #3 heavy sporter will be fine for threads at 17". I'm avoiding the #3b for weight purposes.

It will be a standard #3 blank (starting at 26 inch, I think) chambered, cut to 17.5 inches, and threaded.
that's what i figured you were doing

I have a 22" fluted #3 threaded 5/8-24 and its perfectly happy being suppressed. Not that it matters, but mine is 300wm, not 308.

Reactions: Nivium
20 inch #4 mullerworks 10 shots at 100 yards with a Harvester Evo. About the same as a bartlein 3b.
20230417_192608.jpg

I have ran a Bartline 3b at 24" with heavy deep spiral fluting and a suppressor. It works awesome. A #3 contour at 17.5" would be stiffer and will work great suppressed.

If you are going with a #3 contour that short I would not waste the money in fluting it. Back in the day I used to have just about all my barrels fluted. People can say what they want but my opinion is all it does is empty the wallet.

On short barrels, fluting is not going to remove much weight. There is aggressive fluting that is actually pretty cool from LRI, but not sure if you can use it on a thinner profile barrel. The cost to weight reduction on fluting did not make sense in my eyes when I could just buy carbon and maybe be in the same weight range.
But, I did end up building a 16.5" 6 creed with a bartlein #3b.
Weight of full length 3B barrel blank: 4 lbs 7.7 ounces
Weight after chamber, chopped to 16.5", and muzzle thread: 2 lbs 14.6 ounces

Another short barrel for reference from my experience: 18" Bartlein carbon varmit contour, chambered in 6.6 PRC
Before chamber and thread: 2 lbs 12 ounces
After chamber and thread: 2 lbs 7 ounces