• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will a Remage barrel fit a Bergara Premier action?

Triggerhappy

General Nuscience
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2009
    Calif., MO
    I was looking for a long action for a 6.5-284 and noticed that Brownells had Bergara actions for $799 and it sounds like they will take Remington barrels. Can anyone confirm before I order?

This is in the discription on Brownells sight:
    If you've got dreams of building your own bolt gun from the ground up, then the Bergara Premier Series Remington 700 Action is the perfect starting point for your dream gun. This action, available in both short and long lengths, is left completely in the white and features a bolt face compatible with all Remington 700 barrels.

Reactions: kentuckyMarksman
    This is in the discription on Brownells sight:
    If you've got dreams of building your own bolt gun from the ground up, then the Bergara Premier Series Remington 700 Action is the perfect starting point for your dream gun. This action, available in both short and long lengths, is left completely in the white and features a bolt face compatible with all Remington 700 barrels.

Unless Brownells is getting something different, this is straight off the Bergara website:

"Then, at the Bergara USA factory, the barrel receives a Cerakote finish and is coupled with our proprietary Bergara PREMIER action, featuring a nonrotating gas shield, coned bolt nose, and sliding plate extractor."

The Bergara Premier action manual also clearly shows a coned bolt nose on page 6 of the PDF (Marked as Page 4 on the bottom of the page itself).

Unfortunately, Brownells doesn't show the actual bolt nose, but given the rest of the description of the bolt (floating bolt head, etc) I can only assume their comment about "all remington 700 barrels" wasn't intended to cover prefits.

Edit: Brownells also includes this in the description for the short action: "This ensures that the bolt head makes complete contact with the lug abutments, and a cone-shaped bolt nose ensures that the cartridge feeds seamlessly into the action. "

So yeah, their comment about all 700 barrels is likely an oversight.

I’m not super familiar with the 6.5-284, does it need to be used in a long action to really get all the performance out of it like a straight .284? If so, for another $50.00 brownells sells a gunwerks 700 long action @$850.00. If you can get by with a short action, you could have an origin for $825.00. Both of those should take any Remage barrel you could dream up. The origin gives the advantage of shouldered prefits if you’re into that sort of thing.

I’m not super familiar with the 6.5-284, does it need to be used in a long action to really get all the performance out of it like a straight .284? If so, for another $50.00 brownells sells a gunwerks 700 long action @$850.00. If you can get by with a short action, you could have an origin for $825.00. Both of those should take any Remage barrel you could dream up. The origin gives the advantage of shouldered prefits if you’re into that sort of thing.

Neither of those actions take remage barrels. The Origin uses savage small shank threads and unless they made a running change, the Gunwerks uses 1-1/16x 18tpi tenon threads and the only person that was making pre-fits for the Gunwerks was Patriot Valley.

I should have done more reading on the GRB, I was looking up what else brownells offered in that price range, seems like a really weird decision to use that thread rather than something common for Remington or savage, at least the origin gives you prefits for savage barrels but that might mean switching to 6.5 prc, for that matter, you can buy a Bergara barreled action in 6.5 prc on brownells for $1075.