• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Will an AI AT-X make me a better shooter?

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    I know….loaded question here. But it’s not really meant to be that way.

I’ve participated in eight PRS style one day matches so far this year, and plan to continue.
    It’s been a HUGE learning curve on my end, but from hours of fundamental training, dry firing, and position building; I’ve risen from the very bottom to a solid middle of the pack competitor.

I’m shooting a custom built 6.5X47L suppressed in a McMillian A4 stock. Weight is balanced and over 18 pounds loaded. I realize that I’m the only one I’ve seen so far running a McMillian stocked rifle. Most are using chassis or foundations.

My question here is, will an AI AT-X make an average shooter a better shooter? I’ve always wanted an AI rifle, but really don’t see it being a “game changer” for me….but I don’t know what I don’t know.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks boys!

08017EFA-CFA7-404A-89E3-CBD57ECA357C.jpeg

"Most are using chassis or foundations."

There is a reason for this. If your goal is to get better at PRS then this is the way.

I personally went from a McMillan A5 to a Foundation MG2 a couple years ago. It did not make me a better shooter, but it did make certain things easier, spotting impacts in particular.

Nope.

Like all rifles, it is a piece of metal and imparts no skill onto the shooter. This goes for any piece of gear. Some gear makes things easier, but they don't grant "skill"

If you want to be a better shooter: practice and learn.

It doesn't sound like your current equipment is restricting you in any way.

Reactions: 308pirate
    I always thought the A4 would be a pretty solid stock option for PRS since it's forend is flat and squared off similar to a chassis.

I agree with above, the right gear can definitely make things easier, but it's not going to bump you from mid pack to top 10. Personally, the ATX would not be my choice for PRS stuff. If you want one, go for it and I'm sure you'll be happy.

Now, if you're looking to get a "race rifle" then you could pick any of the top components and put together a more purpose built rifle for less than the ATX. And that's straight up MSRP on stuff, not shopping around or looking in the PX for deals.

I shot my first year of prs with a 6.5x47 in a mcmillian a5. Second year and forward swapped a couple times with xlr, mdt, foundation, and then MPA. Tried the matrix pro when they dropped and have been stupid happy with it. Also swapped to dasher but still playing with 6x47 and soon 25x47. YMMV

Reactions: Nostradumbass
    Great rifles, not necessarily great comp guns, though the ATX is a step in the right direction.

Honestly, if your goal is to get better at PRS, then your money is much better spent on quality training. A new rifle. while cool and fun, isn't going to really move the needle on your performance.

If you just want a new rifle, then by all means. They are for sale for $1k off, so it's a good time to buy one. Or you can get a custom rifle built to your specs and optimized for PRS shooting. But if you want to optimize your performance, spend the money on quality training.

As with any question like this, it depends.

As a beginner/novice level.....likely not a ton of difference. You might see some difference if you're shooting a .308 and move to a 6cm....just on some win and elevation errors that are made up for. But it won't help your fundamentals all that much.

If you're an intermediate-advanced level shooter, then using a system that's more tailored to your needs (heavier, wider, lighter trigger, etc, etc) may show a noticeable increase in your performance.

Basically, you have to shoot well and consistent enough that your equipment will make a significant difference.

There's a reason you don't see AIs at the top of PRS matches. Triggers are less than ideal and you are stuck with proprietary parts. With targets getting smaller, stages getting more difficult and competition stiffer they just aren't the best option for PRS.

Spend more time and money practicing and getting some formalized training revolving around comp shooting. If you have the urge to upgrade equipment on your gun, start by upgrading the stock/chassis. If you go with an MDT ACC Elite or MPA it'll fit just about any future 700 pattern custom action you can buy. Manners and Foundations are great options as well but depending on what models you pick, you may have to look at the inlet a little closer.

I ran an AI for my first couple of years and didn't realize how much I was fighting the gun. If you want one because they're cool guns, go for it. But there are better ways to improve your score.

Last edited:
    There's a reason you don't see AIs at the top of PRS matches. Triggers are less than ideal and you are stuck with proprietary parts. With targets getting smaller, stages getting more difficult and competition stiffer they just aren't the best option for PRS.

Spend more time and money practicing and getting some formalized training revolving around comp shooting. If you have the urge to upgrade equipment on your gun, start by upgrading the stock/chassis. If you go with an MDT ACC Elite or MPA it'll fit just about any future 700 pattern custom action you can buy. Manners and Foundations are great options as well but depending on what models you pick, you may have to look at the inlet a little closer.

I ran an AI for my first couple of years and didn't realize how much I was fighting the gun. If you want one because they're cool guns, go for it. But there are better ways to improve you score.
    I'd wager its more a follow the leader. The AT-X is competitive and certainly not gonna hold anyone back. All those custom actions are pretty much the same, but look at Impacts following.

I got my M card is USPSA when I bought my Shadow 2. Turns out I earned it with a stock S&W I ran into the ground practicing for 2 years. Not totally apples to apples, but its the shooter, not the gear.

I'd wager its more a follow the leader. The AT-X is competitive and certainly not gonna hold anyone back. All those custom actions are pretty much the same, but look at Impacts following.

I got my M card is USPSA when I bought my Shadow 2. Turns out I earned it with a stock S&W I ran into the ground practicing for 2 years. Not totally apples to apples, but its the shooter, not the gear.
    Having shot an AT, then and AX in comps for several years I'll have to respectfully disagree.

Reactions: NiteQwill

Show us the podium, hell show us someone placing in the top 10 with an AI.

I'm about as Midpack as it gets, but when I see someone with an AI, i know its one less person I am competing again.

How many PRS matches have you shot?

• Haha
    Reactions: BurtG
    I know….loaded question here. But it’s not really meant to be that way.

I’ve participated in eight PRS style one day matches so far this year, and plan to continue.
    It’s been a HUGE learning curve on my end, but from hours of fundamental training, dry firing, and position building; I’ve risen from the very bottom to a solid middle of the pack competitor.

I’m shooting a custom built 6.5X47L suppressed in a McMillian A4 stock. Weight is balanced and over 18 pounds loaded. I realize that I’m the only one I’ve seen so far running a McMillian stocked rifle. Most are using chassis or foundations.

My question here is, will an AI AT-X make an average shooter a better shooter? I’ve always wanted an AI rifle, but really don’t see it being a “game changer” for me….but I don’t know what I don’t know.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks boys!

View attachment 8236760
    An AT-x will hold you back.

Honestly dude, you already shoot so I would just ask guys at matches to let you get behind their gun. People love to show their shit off. Do some dry firing behind a bunch of different chassis and see which one you like.

At the end of the day its personal prefference, You can be compeitive with all the top chassis. Since you are used to shooting that A4, I would check out a Manners TCS. I went from TCS to Foundation to ACC back to Foundation and now shoot Matrix Pro. Its all comes down to your shooting style, body type and what feels comfortable for you.

An AT-x will hold you back.

Honestly dude, you already shoot so I would just ask guys at matches to let you get behind their gun. People love to show their shit off. Do some dry firing behind a bunch of different chassis and see which one you like.

At the end of the day its personal prefference, You can be compeitive with all the top chassis. Since you are used to shooting that A4, I would check out a Manners TCS. I went from TCS to Foundation to ACC back to Foundation and now shoot Matrix Pro. Its all comes down to your shooting style, body type and what feels comfortable for you.
    OP I'll just drop this here. Certain people have been known to plain "make shit up" (and i feel bad when i double post!)

I think if you have concerns speak with Mormegil on his experience, but the AT-X has an improved trigger and despite what some people (ahem) may say, it doesn't break.

If you want a standard bolt, that's cool--give em all a try. Just be aware of certain parties motivations.

@BurtG care to way in?

And while the AI hasn't made the podium in my matches, the podium dwellers sure as hell liked my rifle and had no complaints on a run-through.

My apologies for muddying up a good question that had good answers and responses until certain people dropped by.....

The Answer is 5 matches. Plus weekly F-Class at 1k (I shoot from magazine and bipod) and yet still no trigger or feeding problems....hmmmmmm. So thats um 35 competetive matches without an issue?

I'm about as Midpack as it gets, but when I see someone with an AI, i know its one less person I am competing again.
    lol

Scores show otherwise.

I did right around 75 percent last time I shot Peterson.

Hardly “not competition “

I would say your current setup is not holding you back. If you want an AI then get one. Practice and taking note of things in matches will help you more than a new setup. Me personally I feel like 60% of my misses in a match are bad wind calls/holds or over thinking the wind and 30% are mental mistakes. Whatever you shoot just make sure it’s setup for you and practice all you can.

Show us the podium, hell show us someone placing in the top 10 with an AI.

How many PRS matches have you shot?
    Wanna know how I know you suck?
    You should go back to fingerin yersef....

What a stupid post.

Wanna know how I know you suck?
    You should go back to fingerin yersef....

What a stupid post.
    So where are the top 10 Podiums by guys shooting an AT-X? The AI ball garbles got some tough sledding. Like the other retard who bragged about tieing or beating me on ONE stage out of like 18. What an endorsement. Everyone sell your shit and go buy an AT-x before gen 4 comes out to fix more shitty engineering.

You should probably stay quiet before you embarrass yourself there sparky.

• Love
    Reactions: abn31c
    So where are the top 10 Podiums by guys shooting an AT-X? The AI ball garbles got some tough sledding. Like the other retard who bragged about tieing or beating me on ONE stage out of like 18. What an endorsement. Everyone sell your shit and go buy an AT-x before gen 4 comes out to fix more shitty engineering.

You should probably stay quiet before you embarrass yourself there sparky.
    Lol, nah, you threw away any respectability you thought you had. I just am entertained by stupid being stupid....please carry on.
    Thank you!!!😃

Reactions: Average guy
    Lol, nah, you threw away any respectability you thought you had. I just am entertained by stupid being stupid....please carry on.
    Thank you!!!😃
    Its great when people who don't even shoot come around to sling shit about shit they don't know. Do you shoot PRS? Do you use a an AT-X or have you even shot one setup for PRS? If you can't say yes to both, why are you even talking? The OP is asking for advice and we are trying to help him.

• Haha
    Reactions: abn31c
    Its great when people who don't even shoot come around to sling shit about shit they don't know. Do you shoot PRS? Do you use a an AT-X or have you even shot one setup for PRS? If you can't say yes to both, why are you even talking? The OP is asking for advice and we are trying to help him.
    Thnx again...keep it coming. 🤣😂

Sorry OP, but this guy brings such entertainment value it's hard to stay away.
    He's an idiot, and prolly a poor so just keep that I'm the back of yer mind and enjoy the stupid on display.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
    Forget ability, do you have the time to dedicate to becoming a genuine top tier shooter?
    If not, does it really matter regarding your rifle to a point. Practice, compete and compare your percentage against the winner. Work on increasing this number and compete against YOURSELF......

Shoot what makes you happy, unlikely you will ever NEED to change a rifle due to it keeping you from the winners circle.

Forget ability, do you have the time to dedicate to becoming a genuine top tier shooter?
    If not, does it really matter regarding your rifle to a point. Practice, compete and compare your percentage against the winner. Work on increasing this number and compete against YOURSELF......

Shoot what makes you happy, unlikely you will ever NEED to change a rifle due to it keeping you from the winners circle.
    As much as I bitch about my AI, it does make me very very happy.

heh

NOW SHIP ME THAT DAMN HINGE GODDAMMIT

Like this, everyone 15 and below beaten by a shooter with an ATX?
    View attachment 8238254
    That match was a shitshow by the way
    and an amateur got 3rd...which is unheard of at pro matches. It's still not top 10 but nice try. My bud got 2nd place so I won't shit on the match too much.

I'm still waiting for the top 10 finish at a PRS pro match with an AI.

AI couldn't find one top shooter who can podium to shoot their shit. Alwine does it with a savage and Doug does it with a ruger.

Savage/ruger>AI if you like points.

• Haha
    Reactions: BurtG
    and an amateur got 3rd...which is unheard of at pro matches. It's still not top 10 but nice try. My bud got 2nd place so I won't shit on the match too much.

AI couldn't find one top shooter who can podium to shoot their shit. Alwine does it with a savage and Doug does it with a ruger.

Screenshot_20230929_173717_Chrome.jpg

Did you ever shoot against @BurtG like he challenged you are you just flapping those gums like usual Nick?

So none of you can show a top 10 finish, or refute what I said. Or just move the goal posts. Just keep making shit up , that's the go to for emotional people who can't frame an argument.

For PRS Savage / Ruger > AI

The 5 shitty AI shooters who don't compete but follow me around every thread because i hurt their feelings are on your side. Its like a basketball team full of down syndrome kids. You must be their leader.

• Haha
    Reactions: powdahound76