• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Will an impact barrel headspace correctly on a lone peak action?

Emmaandhaley

Emma and Haley
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2018
Temecula, Ca (not by choice)
Fellow Hide Members,

I am wanting a (or a few) titanium actions for a couple of light weight hunting rifle builds.

I have multiple impact actions, and probably 3 times as many barrels spun up. I called impact today, and was told they are no longer taking orders for the 737 titanium’s.

My next option is a lone peak titanium action.

I have searched and read on here that the “will and will not” work.

So I am wondering if anybody has actually tried to screw on a barrel that has been chambered for an impact onto a lone peak fuzion action.

I don’t care if the witness marks line up or not.

Thanks,
Jay

IIRC they “headspace the same” in that go/no go gauges work in both, but the bolt nose recesses are different depths which cause the case head to be unsupported.

Others may chime in but this has been tossed around a lot over the years and I don't think many go down the road of trying it.

impacts have 0.005” more bolt nose recess(depth)

so you can use an impact barrel on a LP action, but not the other way around

currently have an impact barrel on my LP Fuzion, no issues

It also depends on who spun the barrel for you. Ts customs barrels will interchange both ways for LP and impact.

Thank you all for responding. We have a great group of people here.

I called Lone Peak yesterday, and had a conversation with Mike. He stated that “yes in fact a barrel spun up for an impact will headspace on a lone peak fuzion, but to always check it with your go/no go gauges”.

I am the proud new owner of an Lone Peak Fuzion Ti. (Well not quite yet as they are out getting coated now should be back next week then it will be shipped out to me)

Build will be:
Lone Peak Fuzion Ti
Manners LRH in copperhead
18” Bartlein #4 Carbon Fiber chambered in 6.5 PRC
TriggerTech Diamond pro curved
Hawkins hunter bottom metal w/ hunter mags
Hawkins ultra light rings
Leupold Mk5 3-18
TBAC Ultra 7

Should be somewhere around 8-9 pounds ready to hunt.

Thanks,
Jay

Interested to see how this turns out! Have you gotten the action back yet @Emmaandhaley ? I have 2 LP Fuzion stainless actions on hunting builds. Looking at getting a 3rd action titanium. Was wanting to try the 737 titanium but guess it’ll have to be LP. I’m sure both are more than fine. Still haven’t cycled an impact though and I have FOMO about it

@HenryTheAce

I’m the opposite I have a bunch of impacts so I was trying to keep them all the same. So I tired every where to get an titanium impact 737 but every one is out of stock, and no one is selling theirs (for good reasons I hear). So next choice was the LP.

I called them and left a voicemail then emailed them with the question of “will it fit”. Mike called me later that same day and responded with yes it would so I gave him my card number.

I picked up the action yesterday at 1130, and by 1215 I spun on the barrel. It headspace perfectly, and time mark is off by a couple of hairs.

Paradigm Gunworks out of Oklahoma by way Nacogdoches, TX spun the barrel for me.

Based off my action and one impact barrel I would say it’s confirmed that it will work.

Thanks,
Jay