• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will any 40 mm scope fit on my rifle that has a 40mm scope mounted now?

LuckyScott

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2013
So Cal
I have a remington 700 with a nice 3 -9 x40 hunting scope. I would like to replace it with something with a little more power. I have found a few scopes that were something like 9 - 15 x 40 and was wondering if it would fit my mount? Of course, my mount is 1 inch tube so I need a 1" tube, but would the rest of the scope be the same size since they are both 40mm?

Simple answer is no. Not all 40mm bells have the same outer diameter. Also you didnt mention the clearance you have between the obj and your barrel now. If you have lots of clearance now chances are most other scopes will fit.

On a 700 even with low rings and a heavy contour barrel you should be fine. I run a S&B pmii 5-25x56, steiner 5-25x56 and a XRS which is 4.5-30x50 across a few guns with 700s or actions based on 700s and the S&B and Stiener still have a good bit of room even with 56mm objectives. With a 40 mil objective you should have plenty of room. If you want to be 100% certain then find the size specs for the optic and measure off/based off your current setup or off centerline of the rings.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk