• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Will Dura Coat stick to a hogue stock?????

Tackett

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2009
i've got a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 just wondering if anyone know if the dura coat finishes will stick to that type stock. thanks

Re: Will Dura Coat stick to a hogue stock?????

if its the rubber stock will be difficult but if its the plastic one your good

I just did one I primed it with the kyrlon plastic paint primer

kt

that sucks, i haven't really dealt with the dura coat products, got some shooting buddy's that has done there rifles. My rifle has got the rubber textured stock on it so i won't beable to do it.

I would recomend you go to a hobby store and ask them if they have paint that will work for vinal/rubber. They usually have a pretty good selection and in good como colors as well.

LocTite makes a good primer that removes all of the release agent from poly pro injected parts. Works great on difficult to paint surfaces.

i'll give it a shot, now i gotta pick me a color and pattern out.. lol i though i wouldn't beable to do it so i stoped researching duracoat.
thanks

I used krylon fusion on mine and while it is not permanent it holds up fairly well if you let it cure for a few days before you touch it

The mold release agent still present on the stock is the biggest problem with the Hogues. One that is taken off (MEK seemed to work as good as anything else) blast the surface or hit it with 100 grit. Follow that up with an adhesion promotor that is used on vinyl parts, once that is cured use the paint of choice.

here's mine with Krylon fusion, but like said it is all about prep. Mine I just wiped down with alcohol on a lint free rag
2.jpg

or what you could do is find a pattern that works well with whatever color the rubber inletting is, mask off the rubber and paint your pattern leaving the black(?) inlets black. ive seen some rifles done that way, and i think it looks pretty damn good... for a factory stock at least.

i would load a pic but i have no idea how to do it. my stock has a rubbery feal to it. so i need to get a type of primer used on viynl parts right? and let that cure than put whatever pattern i want on the gun.

is that a rem 700 tactical, that looks like the same stock that mine is.

sorry, im on a government computer, and it wont load most pics(damn filters) on this site. i didnt realize what stock you werer referring to. i thought you had the SPS plastic injection molded stock with the rubber inletting. not the rubber stock. my bad, sorry for the bad advice.

no big deal, it's hard to give someone advice if you don't have a pic or a good description of what there talking about.

yes it will stick, but you must rough it up just enough to get the mold release agent out of the stock.
a slight glass bead and then clean really well with denatured alcohol, make sure your bear hands don't touch it during and after cleaning, wear latex cloves.
here is 3 I have done, duracoats does not have to be baked, let it cure for 1 week after applying to synthetic stocks or frames

ar.jpg

simga004.jpg

russianscopeon17hmr-1.jpg