• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will H110 Push a 240gr 30 Cal/.308 Bullet?

RLinNH

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2019
Last night I stopped by my awesome local gun store and I could not have timed it better. The clerk was stocking the shelves with a fresh order from that day. Long story made short, I got 8lbs of H110 and 500 of the Sierra Match King 30cal/.308 bullets. When I got home I checked out my Sierra reloading manual and noticed that H110 was used for subsonic .300 BO cartridges in all of the grain weights for 30cal bullets, except for the 240gr. :( I have 8 lbs of H110, and I would like to use it. There has to be a good reason why Sierra decided not to list it in their book. Has anyone pushed a heavy bullet with H110?

Here a thread discussing this very topic. I have 4 of the latest reloading manuals here from Sierra, Nosler, Hornady and Lyman and none list H110 for 240gr or higher 300BO loads.

AA1680 is the go to for 300BO subs. It just works.

I dont shoot 300BO subs, only supers but my buddy shoots 300BO subs almost exclusively out of this SBR 300BO AR and a single shot bolt gun. He swears by 1680 for heavy 300BO subs vs any other powder

Reactions: RLinNH

Here a thread discussing this very topic. I have 4 of the latest reloading manuals here from Sierra, Nosler, Hornady and Lyman and none list H110 for 240gr or higher 300BO loads.

AA1680 is the go to for 300BO subs. It just works.

I dont shoot 300BO subs, only supers but my buddy shoots 300BO subs almost exclusively out of this SBR 300BO AR and a single shot bolt gun. He swears by 1680 for heavy 300BO subs vs any other powder
Thanks for the detailed response (y). I don't have any 1680, but have heard that it is the go to powder for what I am looking for. Unfortunately, I don't have any. I do have about 11lbs of CFE BLK on hand. Looks like those 240 SMK's will be loaded with the BLK. I'll use the H110 on something else, someday I am sure...:)

Thanks for the detailed response (y). I don't have any 1680, but have heard that it is the go to powder for what I am looking for. Unfortunately, I don't have any. I do have about 11lbs of CFE BLK on hand. Looks like those 240 SMK's will be loaded with the BLK. I'll use the H110 on something else, someday I am sure...:)

I only use H110 for my 300BLK. I run 125 SMK and 125 TMK's supers with H110. Accuracy is amazing, most people dont even believe is possible with a 300BLK.... Im getting 2100fps with this load out of a 10.5" AR. I use the 125 SMK's for shooting steel but the 125 TMK's expand like crazy where the 125 SMK's do not. Black Hill's uses the 125 TMK in their 300BLK defensive ammo. My buddy and I did some back yard hillbilly expansion testing with the same load with 125 SMK and 125 TMK into wet phonebooks covered with denim in front of the first book.... The 125 SMK stayed together 100% and bent like a banana... The 125 TMK same load expanded into nice pedals like a Federal HST pistol bullet and retained almost all its weight...

This is out of my 10.5" Rainier Ultramatch 300blk AR..

7 five shot groups in a row. I built it and worked up this load for headshot accuracy from 100yd and in....But after seeing this accuracy, I tested it at longer distances to see how well it did. I started at 200M and went 10/10 on steel @ 200M, 300M, 400M and a ram at 500M all with my Leupold MR/T 1.5-5x20 CM-R2

Last edited:
I only use H110 for my 300BLK. I run 125 SMK and 125 TMK's supers with H110. Accuracy is amazing, most people dont even believe is possible with a 300BLK.... Im getting 2100fps with this load out of a 10.5" AR. I use the 125 SMK's for shooting steel but the 125 TMK's expand like crazy where the 125 SMK's do not. Black Hill's uses the 125 TMK in their 300BLK defensive ammo. My buddy and I did some back yard hillbilly expansion testing with the same load with 125 SMK and 125 TMK into wet phonebooks covered with denim in front of the first book.... The 125 SMK stayed together 100% and bent like a banana... The 125 TMK same load expanded into nice pedals like a Federal HST pistol bullet and retained almost all its weight...

This is out of my 10.5" Rainier Ultramatch 300blk AR..

7 five shot groups in a row. I built it and worked up this load for headshot accuracy from 100yd and in....But after seeing this accuracy, I tested it at longer distances to see how well it did. I started at 200M and went 10/10 on steel @ 200M, 300M, 400M and a ram at 500M all with my Leupold MR/T 1.5-5x20 CM-R2

I am going in a 180 degree opposite direction. I have a Honey Badger with a 6' barrel, and a Spike's Unicorn Build with an 8.5" barrel. Only looking for accuracy and plinking within 50 yards as both of those above mentioned weapon systems only have 1x red dots on them. I look at my .300 Blacks as personal defense weapons. One of them is always within arms reach whenever I am commuting. They are my "shits getting real. Gotta get out of this AO' weapon systems. I need to work up a Personal defense .300 Black cartridge. So, to sum it all up, I need to actually use my Chrono and get some loading and range time in.:ROFLMAO:

I am going in a 180 degree opposite direction. I have a Honey Badger with a 6' barrel, and a Spike's Unicorn Build with an 805' barrel. Only looking for accuracy and plinking within 50 yards as both of those above mentioned weapon systems only have 1x red dots on them. I look at my .300 Blacks as personal defense weapons. One of them is always within arms reach whenever I am commuting. They are my "shits getting real. Gotta get out of this AO' weapon systems. I need to work up a Personal defense .300 Black cartridge. So, to sum it all up, I need to actually use my Chrono and get some loading and range time in.:ROFLMAO:

I built my 10.5" AR and worked up that load for the VERY reason you state. I did not build it to be a long range precision gun. I just tested it at distance with a scope to see its capabilities once I saw that accuracy... My goal was headshot accuracy from 100yd and closer for personal defense....This is the very reason I dont use subs....300blk subs have the equivalent power of 45 ACP handgun loads. I dont want to carry a rifle for personal defense that has pistol knockdown power. I want a rifle that has rifle knockdown power....

This is why I strictly shoot 125 TMK supers for personal defense and mine sports a Aimpoint T1. 2.5x the energy of a 220gr subsonic

I built my 10.5" AR and worked up that load for the VERY reason you state. I did not build it to be a long range precision gun. I just tested it at distance with a scope to see its capabilities once I saw that accuracy... My goal was headshot accuracy from 100yd and closer for personal defense....This is the very reason I dont use subs....300blk subs have the equivalent power of 45 ACP handgun loads. I dont want to carry a rifle for personal defense that has pistol knockdown power. I want a rifle that has rifle knockdown power....

You bring up some very valid points to consider... (y)

Reactions: padom
If it's not shown in the manufacturers data, maybe it's a good idea to not do it. Just sayin'