• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will I make it to 1000?

BillyNg

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2009
Hartsdale, NY
FGMM 175 SMKs
22" Barrel.

Will I make it out to a grand before it goes transonic? I was going to be working with a custom ammo company to work up a load with 185 jugs which would have easily gotten me out to a grand, but with all the component shortages, that plan fell through. I know FGMM 168s will go transonic before we even get to 900. How will the 175s fare?

175s will get you there, depending on your elevation above sea level/DA will determine how much they have left speed wise. Id look into the 155-175 tmks for better performance beyond 800m. Also consider the 169smks if wanting to stay with Sierra bullets.

Last edited:
My 18” .308 does it.

I have a good DA though.

4200 ft ASL actual elevation. Most of the time low humidity.

Though still able to with cool temps and 70%. Just a few more clicks.

Any issues are me or my loads.

My 18” .308 does it.

I have a good DA though.

4200 ft ASL actual elevation. Most of the time low humidity.

Though still able to with cool temps and 70%. Just a few more clicks.

Any issues are me or my loads.
hes talking factory not handloads...just saying lol

Reactions: powdahound76
You should be OK, depending on your barrel twist (22 inches is the equivalent to an M14/M1A). A 10-twist will be a better bet than a 12.

Once you've shot up your factory ammo, if you're sticking with 175 SMKs you'll want at least 2550 fps at the muzzle.

Last edited:
Reactions: catalin693
hes talking factory not handloads...just saying lol
Yep.
that creates a bit more of a challenge.
though the ES of FGMM is better than many “basic” factory loads.

Have done it with 168 and 175 FGMM. From customs 18” - 24” and a factory LTR with “gasp” and IOR scope back in the day!

Reactions: 1moaoff
I haven't been clear enough .... I am unable to reload/hand-load (half a million dollars just outside of NYC gets you a 1600 sq ft apartment with no basement and no garage).

I was going to be paying someone to do it for me, but that plan fell through. So what I'm left with is factory loads. Will factory FGMM 175 SMKs, this stuff specifically: https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fed...ra-matchking-hollow-point-gm308m2-p-1744.aspx , get me comfortably to a grand? Figure that I'm just above sea level (500 ASL or so depending on which range I go to).

I know that bullets don't disintegrate when they go transonic, but one less thing to worry about for this noob is a good thing.

Last edited:
Have you thought about putting all the known data into jbmballistics free online calculator and seeing what it says? Use the box value for velocity and knock a couple hundred fps off for short barrel and “over-optimism” on their part.

Just a thought.

Also, if you shoot at really big targets, you’ll definitely be fine. 😂

I shot out to 1225 this weekend with my Fn spr a1 with a 12 twist barrel. I was using 175 fgmm ammo. It runs right at 2600 out of my 24 inch barrel.
At 1k and under the rifle had no issues, hit were pretty consistent as long as the wind cooperated. Once I got past 1k is where it got pretty tough to get consistent hits.

I'll load up that brass for you... order up some components, bullets, powder... I'll help out with large rifle primers as they are going to be tough to get.

I haven't been clear enough .... I am unable to reload/hand-load (half a million dollars just outside of NYC gets you a 1600 sq ft apartment with no basement and no garage).

I was going to be paying someone to do it for me, but that plan fell through. So what I'm left with is factory loads. Will factory FGMM 175 SMKs, this stuff specifically: https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fed...ra-matchking-hollow-point-gm308m2-p-1744.aspx , get me comfortably to a grand? Figure that I'm just above sea level (500 ASL or so depending on which range I go to).

I know that a bullets don't disintegrate when they go transonic, but one less thing to worry about for this noob is a good thing.

BULLET knows what hes doing,

but truthfully most people who reload cannot match the quality of FGMM in 308

guys will chime in a crush me and there are some serious reloaders on this site...but we all know its true

• Wow
Reactions: davidb187
One other thing to try if your specific barrel doesn't do great at 1000y with the FGMM is try the Factory Lapua 155gr Sencar / Sencar-L
I've had excellent results out to 1000 yards with those rounds.
They are also great when your barrel is a bit slower of a twist and not the newer 1:10 that most current .308 target rifles have as a minimum.

IMG_4080.PNG

R

FGMM 175 SMKs
22" Barrel.

Will I make it out to a grand before it goes transonic? I was going to be working with a custom ammo company to work up a load with 185 jugs which would have easily gotten me out to a grand, but with all the component shortages, that plan fell through. I know FGMM 168s will go transonic before we even get to 900. How will the 175s fare?
175 fgmm will get there just fine, enjoy it. Once you get too much further out they start to wobble a bit but 1k and in is easy money.

Yep, that stuff goes for a premium now. I miss when it was 180 bucks for 200 rounds.

The cases I bought at that price (with free shipping!) may be one of the best investments I ever made.

@BillyNg - The nice thing about the 175 SMK bullet loaded in FGMM ammo is that it maintains its stability better than a lot of bullets when it goes transonic. You might also try the 185 Berger FGMM too.

The cases I bought at that price (with free shipping!) may be one of the best investments I ever made.

@BillyNg - The nice thing about the 175 SMK bullet loaded in FGMM ammo is that it maintains its stability better than a lot of bullets when it goes transonic. You might also try the 185 Berger FGMM too.
Yeah when it was that price I should have bought 10 cases of it.

I know that bullets don't disintegrate when they go transonic, but one less thing to worry about for this noob is a good thing.

I lived in a 600 square foot apartment and reloaded every thing I shot. To do this, I made a small table from sawhorses and 3/4 plywood and used C-clamps to hold my press to the table. The press was mounted to a 8 inch by 8 inch 1/4 think aluminum plate and I stored the primers and powder in large metal ammo cans. It was small enough, that I could break it down and hide it when not in use. Though I did use latter as a computer desk when I was working at home.

The hardest thing I found living in an apartment, is getting in and out with out people gawking at me, so I would suggest getting a stealth rifle case.

As far as getting out to 1000, most 175 SMK ammo will do the job. Besides the Federal 175's, Lapua, Berger, Sierra, M118LR, Hornady 178's will do it as long as you do your part.

Reactions: 6.5 GUY
When I first moved to Idaho, I reloaded on a 30"×30" printer stand for a year.
Had to make do with what was available.

16” barrel
FGMM 175gr
2505fps muzzle velocity
4000’ elevation

Does not go transonic at 1000yrds

And yes, like others have said, just plug your numbers into a ballistic calculator. You’ll get your answer for cheap. 😀

Mount a press to your countertops. They should be plenty strong to hold it.

Whenever I was able to get to a place to shoot long I brought a 6mm or a 6.5mm.
So one day I decided to take my AIAX 308 20" barrel shooting 175's . Second shot I was able to smack the 5" plate at 1K.

Funny thing was the other shooters there looked at me when I said out loud "no fucking way" after the shot.

The only thing is the long pause before the impact.

I shoot 1k with FGMM 168s out of a 20" Rem 700. It definitely gets harder beyond the invisible wall at 800 yds, but it's definitely possible. Wind holds are definitely NOT left edge out there! If you can't stand the wait for the impact, you can always pass the time by cycling the bolt.

Absolutely, yes.
See what they do with .303's at Bisley.
A good YouTube channel for ELR related stuff, is "Mark and Sam after work"
He is great at explaining things in layman's terms, and has the videos to prove what he does.

My .308 is a REM 700 5R 20 “ barrel and with 175 FGMM 175’s I have no problem out to 1000.

It's hard to beat the gold metal match stuff. I have both barrel twists and find that the 175's favor the 1-10.

If the other member will reload for you I am using the newer 169 grain SMK’s over 44 grains of Varget or 42.8 grains of IMR 4166 and consistently able to hit 12x12 plates out to 1000K out 24” EA BROWN accuracy barrel so yes u can yes u can I believe in you shooter, yes u can great help from the rest of the members this is my first reply and always appreciate members who are helpful

I have shot 1000-1200 with fair accuracy using 168 SMK’s. Same on 175’s. But the sweet spot is the Berger 185 Jugs. Problem is, it seems that Berger has disconnected the Jug in favor of the 185 Hybrid Target projectile. I can’t find Jugs anymore. But I did purchase 500 Hybrids from midway USA 10 days ago. They fly different but are good.

I shoot 1k with FGMM 168s out of a 20" Rem 700. It definitely gets harder beyond the invisible wall at 800 yds, but it's definitely possible. Wind holds are definitely NOT left edge out there! If you can't stand the wait for the impact, you can always pass the time by cycling the bolt.
Me experience shooting FGMM 175s from a SCAR 20S in a DA of 382 (Kingsville, TX in March) is that 800 is easily repeatable, 900 is usually repeatable and 1000 is just not achievable. Based on BallisticsARC and some experience, I expect the result would be much better here at home in Colorado, where on a hot day we can get a DA up to 9000 even on the plains at 5500 feet.

Reactions: ThomasBeckett
This is one of the reasons for the manbun caliber, factory match ammo that works at 1000 without any question.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
I'm fully in support of the man bun. But whether it was factory, or custom loaded ammo, 6.5CM is between 50% and 100% more expensive than equivalent .308.

I'm just getting started again in long range shooting after a 20 year hiatus. When this .308 barrel is shot out (1 to 2 years I'm expecting), I'll look at ammo prices again and re-examine. With the US and other militaries adopting 6.5CM, I expect prices to drop in the coming years (drop relative to other rounds) and once its no more than 25% more expensive than equivalent .308 - a barrel swap is all I need.

My failure to hit 1000y that day and my desire for a bolt gun drove me to the man bun calibre. In a convenient AI AXSR package with a swappable .338LM barrel and bolt.

......and a man bun

and some sort of bullseye facial hair.
My facial hair is reddish and scraggly, but I have a nice thick head of hair to grow a proper man bun.

If I start shooting 6 Dasher, do I have to get breast implants?