• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will installing a muzzle break change POI or load development?

Punisher29073

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2012
White Knoll, SC
I am looking at installing a muzzle break on my 260. Will this negate the ladder testing I have done to date? I wouldnt think so, but wanted to ask before I did further development without the brake?

Ryan

Will installing a muzzle break change POI or load development?

Yes. It will probably alter your POI. Anything you put in the barrel will more than likely shift the point of impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhbffc

Last edited:
I guess POI I can live with. Will it change the accuracy nodes through changing the harmonics of the barrel?

Probably not. Probably not enough, anyway, that you'll be able to shoot the difference. Every time I've installed/removed a brake, the old load shoots as well as it ever did - which is to say ~1/2 moa or so.

If it were a benchrest type rifle, it may make a legitimate difference (where thousandths of an inch count), but for a practical/tactical field rifle, I think not.

a brake will not change your accuracy, if it does get rid of it. you may get a slight POI change but that should be it.

On a 260 and a 308 that I have installed brakes and removed them (I am always swapping things around) I have not noticed a change in accuracy nor needed to retune the load. You will see a change in point of impact.

It did not change the accuracy, just a click or two on the scope settings.