• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will it work? .300wm and .308

tmcginnis

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2010
Texas
Alright, ive been tossing up the idea of building a rifle and all that jazz. I have been wanting to do one in a .308, but also like the idea of a .300 wm for some of the hunting i do. Recoil with the .308 is not an issue with me (not to sound like a hardass). But my question is:

If i choose to build on a .300 wm, is it possible to have a bolt smithed to fit the long action with a .308 face and use the gun as a .308? I would plan to go with a 1-10 twist barrel. Another issue i would run into is would the long action DBM reliably feed a .308 round from a magazine?
OR is this just a dumbass question?

im sorry if this is a question i should know, but i dont want to get started on acquiring parts before i send it off.

thank you guys for your input!

Re: Will it work? .300wm and .308

What you're not thinking about is the 308 chambering. Although a 300WM and a 308 use the same barrel caliber, the chamber itself is different and therefore you cannot use the same barrel to shoot both those different calibers.

Other than that, it's possible although not really economical.

wow. thank you for pointing that out. Quite possibly the most obvious thing i overlooked.

You can have an easy switch-barrel setup using a Savage...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can have an easy switch-barrel setup using a Savage... </div></div>

howso? not super familiar with the savages

Savages have a barrel nut that allow you to switch barrels and calibers (if the bolt face size is the same.) Now you couldn't go from 308 to 300WM with the same bolt, but if you have two separate bolts, it may work. You just need a go/no go gauge, a barrel wrench, another bolt and you're GTG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savages have a barrel nut that allow you to switch barrels and calibers (if the bolt face size is the same.) Now you couldn't go from 308 to 300WM with the same bolt, but if you have two separate bolts, it may work. You just need a go/no go gauge, a barrel wrench, another bolt and you're GTG. </div></div>

thats crazy, i had no idea.
thank you guys for all the input. but i think im just going to build on .308 rem 700 platform and go from there. Maybe its an excuse to just buy another rifle in .300 wm or something bigger. Thanks guys