• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will Less jump with 175 SMK = more accurate load...generally speaking?

sjb269

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2010
Coyote Valley
If your the kinda guy that weighs each case individually and trims meplats, this question might not be for you. :)

I was inclined to load my .308 to SAMMI COAL specs when I started reloading 2 years ago cause I like shooting more than I like reloading and was able to get 3/4 MOA ish from my loads.
I have dug a little deeper now and want to tweak a bit and I have some COAL flexibility. Loading to mag length will allow 2.877 OAL +/- a couple thousandths. I will be jammed into the lands at 2.912.
Anybody out there just load to max allowable mag length, provided your not jammed, and call it good? Am I chasing the wrong detail?

Not from the testing I've done with 168s, the further i got from the lands in my Remingtons the better the accuracy got, that being said, if you had a shorter throat, ie: match chamber, you might enjoy better accuracy since you could seat your bullets closer to the lands and have the 175s pressure ring closer to the neck shoulder juncture. My model 70 30-06(factory barrel) has a very short throat and it shoots very well with it, I'd like to see my 308s with the same type throat just to see how it would react.

When I worked up my load for my .308 (175 SMK), I did an OCW to find the proper powder charge, then played with seating depth.

The longer I loaded, the tighter the group. I tested out to mag length. It may help to go even longer, but I have a magazine for a purpose and did not care about single loaded rounds.

I may try that some time, just for fun.

Mixed results, when it comes to COAL I have found some rifles respond to longer some to shorter.

Since I have a few different rifles I usually stick to SAMMI COAL

As a side note, has anyone also noted a increase in velocity the closer you move to the lands?

To the op: I start my search .015 off the lands for BTHP and .010 off for VLD's provided the lands can be reached while still mag feeding, if not then max mag length with reliable feeding.

As a side note, has anyone also noted a increase in velocity the closer you move to the lands?

To the op: I start my search .015 off the lands for BTHP and .010 off for VLD's provided the lands can be reached while still mag feeding, if not then max mag length with reliable feeding.

I accidentally loaded some 300 WM to jam into the lands. It spiked the pressure enough to flatten primers, compared to the correct COAL, but to be frank I looked back at the Chrono numbers and they were pretty much the same maybe + 25 FPS.

Otherwise I havent seen any differance