• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will my 30-06 with 1:12 twist stabilize 180 grain Ballistic Tip?

gilream

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2011
I have a new 30-06 with a 1:12 twist barrel finished at 27 1/2 inches. Will this twist rate stabilize the Nosler 180 grain ballistic tip properly?

I have a new 30-06 with a 1:12 twist barrel finished at 27 1/2 inches. Will this twist rate stabilize the Nosler 180 grain ballistic tip properly?
Might want to book mark this stability calculator from Berger

Just went through this yesterday with a customer for a 30-.06 rebarrel wanted a 12 instead of the usual 10.
He wanted a wide range- from crazy light 135's to 200's, the calculator said they'd all work. Got dicey with 220's though.

Reactions: Baron23
Your app or the Berger calculator linked above will tell you. I did a quick check and at 3600' it's fine.

Might want to book mark this stability calculator from Berger

The Berger twist rate calculator is great but correct me if I'm wrong it only works with Berger Bullets. I didn't realize that the bullet profile affected the stability factor so much. For example at my projected velocity the .30 caliber 185 Berger hybrid comes in at 1.22 which is not optimal while the Berger 185 Classic Hunter is very stable at 1.57 on their scale. Guessing it has to do with bearing surface? My rifle shoots 180 Sierra Match Kings (discontinued) at 2890fps (LabRadar) and is very accurate. My question is about Nosler Ballistic Tips. Judging from the responses here I think the 180 Ballistic Tip will be fine. Thanks to all who responded.

The Berger twist rate calculator is great but correct me if I'm wrong it only works with Berger Bullets. I didn't realize that the bullet profile affected the stability factor so much. For example at my projected velocity the .30 caliber 185 Berger hybrid comes in at 1.22 which is not optimal while the Berger 185 Classic Hunter is very stable at 1.57 on their scale. Guessing it has to do with bearing surface? My rifle shoots 180 Sierra Match Kings (discontinued) at 2890fps (LabRadar) and is very accurate. My question is about Nosler Ballistic Tips. Judging from the responses here I think the 180 Ballistic Tip will be fine. Thanks to all who responded.
Bullet length is a factor as well. You can input the pertinent info for the 180 B.T. and recalculate.

Yes as cornhusker stated You enter your own bullet data. The length, weight and BC. Don't forget to change temperature to your average as well as your altitude.

Reactions: cornhusker86