• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will my load be OK to 1,000?

9sigman45

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
King, NC
I'm going to shoot in a 1,000 yard F-class match in two weeks (my 1st match). In the last two weeks I've developed a load that works well in my "factory" Remington SPS at 200 yards (175gr SMK w/ 43.4 gr of Varget in Lake City brass with WLR primers). Until George and the gang ships me my new Templar with a 28" Bartlein, this is all I have to use, but it'll be interesting to see what it'll do, plus it's a great way for me to get started.

Today I borrowed a buddy's chronograph and was surprised with the speeds. They were slower than I would have guessed, but very consistent. Of the 10 shots measured, the low was 2601 and the high was 2608. Using the JBM online trajectory calculator it says that the bullet will be doing 1210 fps at 1,000 yards.

Is this good enough, or should I continue to bump up the load? Currently I'm getting minor firing pin cratering and a slight flattening of the primers, but the edges are still round. I really don't want to increase the load as I've seemed to have found a node that it likes.

Re: Will my load be OK to 1,000?

suggest you leave it 1200 is fine as long as they are consistant. you will be shooting more of an ARC but consistancy is a key
I would use it
Bill

Dude; Thats awesome, your spreading 7 and bitchin.

What's your altitude and expected temperature for the match?

You can get the altitude from Google Earth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's your altitude and expected temperature for the match?

You can get the altitude from Google Earth. </div></div>

Depending on the location of the match, you may just be at the border line before the subsonic phase kicks in which may affect your accuracy.

Ya, if you are shooting at altitude, say 6000ft ASL, and then go down into denser air you might find it peters out before 1k. Something to think about.

The match location is approximately 315' (Butner, NC) and I've done my load development at 980' (King NC). In 2 weeks I'd ecpect the temperature to be between 75-85 dergrees. It was 78 yesterday while testing the load. Thanks again for all of your help.

You can take your data and run them through a JBM ballistic calculator and see what the minimum speed needed to stay supersonic at 1K. That way, you don't have to worry about it. JMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">could you let us know how the load worked out at the match???? </div></div>

If possible, please include both 900 and 1000 yard group sizes.

It is likely that you are right on the edge of getting to 1000. If so, the 900 yard groups will be just fine, and the 10000 yard groups will not be so fine. If all goes well, both sets will be just fine. But do let us know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">could you let us know how the load worked out at the match????</div></div>

Bill,
It did pretty well. However the speeds must have been slower than what my buddy's chrony said, as I had to dial in 39 minutes versus the 36 that the JBM calculator gave. My pit puller told me that the rounds came thru the target with a good crack, but I think more speed would have helped to buck the wind better, as most of my POI movement was horizontal. Remenber now that this was my 1st match @ 1,000 yards and I'm using a factory 700 SPS, my score average was 173.3 on the LR F-Class target. It was a ton of fun, but I just can't wait till George and the gang hook me up!

You might want to check the click calibration on your scope.

I had a load for my rifle which took 36 MOA to 1000 yards with a Leupold 3.5-10X40M3 scope on it. When I switched to a 6.5-20X50M1, I found it took 2 additional MOA in the same conditions. That's when I discovered that the M3 adjusted in true MOA, and the M1 adjusted in Inches Per Hundred Yards.

If you don't know how to check that, see:

Optically Checking Rifle Scopes