• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes (Will) Spend Dough on TT or ZCO. Which one is the question?

I have both, and I like both. You'll hear most people say that it really comes down to reticle and features, and I agree with that.

Does one have a reticle you prefer over the other? Since you said you have "older" eyes, it's worth mentioning that Tangent generally has thinner reticles, so ZCO might be a little better choice for you.

Do you want tool-less zero? - Tangent (P series, not M or H)
Do you want locking turrets (or at least windage)? - ZCO
If you're looking for lightweight, Tangent has sub 30oz offerings (M & H series)
ZCO is obviously a little less expensive.

Personally, I tend to like ZCO a little bit better, but Tangent has its pros as well.

For those familiar with ZCOs, on average what's the street price difference between, say, a NF ATACR F1 7-35x56, and the competing ZCO model? thnx

I saw the F1 7-35 on sale for $3300 last week.

I bought the ZCO used so I have no comment. I see what he list them at though.

Last edited:
A new ZCO 5-27 can be had in the mid $3K range depending on who you know. Easy choice over a Nightforce.

A new ZCO 5-27 can be had in the mid $3K range depending on who you know. Easy choice over a Nightforce.
Yup, and surprisingly if you re lucky and damned fast ZCO 840's are only a few hundred more

Figure out what reticle you want.

Both are a coin toss. Both are excellent scopes. Image quality is top tier in both.

The toolless zero really separates them well

After several ZCOs (5?? I dunno, ask CSTactical 😆)... I currently run 3 TTs. JTAC and Gen3XR Fine.

• Haha
Reactions: CSTactical
It’s interesting that so many people mention the tool-less zeroing. How damn much are you zeroing that it’s a big selling factor. Like a thousand dollar selling factor. I guess I shoot one rifle with one bullet and one load at one altitude so I never thought much about it. Maybe I should get out from under my rock.

• Haha
Reactions: anderson22
It’s interesting that so many people mention the tool-less zeroing. How damn much are you zeroing that it’s a big selling factor. Like a thousand dollar selling factor. I guess I shoot one rifle with one bullet and one load at one altitude so I never thought much about it. Maybe I should get out from under my rock.
It’s so much faster to zero especially if you have a switch barrel and zero out turrets every time.

I just got a used ZCO 527 and last year got a used Atacr 7-35 mil-xt. I used to see a big difference when I was comparing them at different power and ranges..then I had a thought "compare at same power). So I set them at 20x side by side. The ZCO is easier to get behind, has a larger eyebox, easier to focus, and is overall a brighter image. The Atacr at 20x tho, wasn't THAT far behind. If I was shopping used prices, the price margins are small as is difference in performance I'd say ZCO. At new prices, I'd probably say Atacr. My perfect scope would be a ZCO with MilXt reticles.

Lots of us travel to matches. In many cases we take off the scope cuz TSA sucks and doesn't treat your equipment nicely

In other cases, one scope and 5 rifles.

In other cases, one scope, one action but multiple barrels...

Having a toolless zero is worth every penny.

Reactions: SniperBro
Owning an AI, I can say the tool less is well worth it alone due to the fact I swap between barrels semi regularly

What else is there to justify the price delta?

I can set zero on my ZCO in less than a few minutes. I do it routinely and have never lost a set screw.

I'll easily trade the tooless zero for the cost difference and the improved turret legibility of the ZCO.

YMMV

Reactions: Baron23
To tag in a bit: is the 840 worth it over the 527 if one expects to mostly live near 20x, and has never gotten behind a scope with more than 25x power? Not talking ELR, PRS ranges only.

To tag in a bit: is the 840 worth it over the 527 if one expects to mostly live near 20x, and has never gotten behind a scope with more than 25x power? Not talking ELR, PRS ranges only.
I think it is. It could be totally made up in my head but I feel like the fov on the 40x at 20 mag vs the 27x at 20 mag is better on the 40. Plus I never really used less than 8x any way. So just giving up the 8-5 on the low side but gaining up to 40x on the high side for about $200 more is worth it for me. And if you shoot 22 the 40x is better to spot with... And I think the parallax focuses closer.

Reactions: gebhardt02
Looking at buying a TT or ZCO, I prefer something that has a great FOV and great eye relief. I’m getting older:) any advice or input would be great:) thanks in advance.

I don't have a TT yet so I can't comment directly from experience, however many knowledgeable reviewers tend to say that TT has perhaps the best optical quality of the top tier "tactical" scopes. However they do sometimes mention that it has a bit of a tighter and less forgiving eyebox.

March has some scopes that are specifically designed to have a wider FOV than would be normal for the magnification range.

Considering most scopes in that range have similar physical dimensions, the higher up in magnification you go, the less FOV you are going to have, so if Great FOV is your thing, then stuff like the TT 3-15 or such might be right up your alley.

If you are looking at a high magnification scope then most likely FOV is kind of a secondary issue.

I have both. I have no real criticisms of either, I love them both.

IMHO, the TT IQ is ever so slightly better than the ZCO. Is it $1K to $1.2K better ? Not for me it isn't.

The eyebox of the ZCO is more forgiving than the TT, but the TT is still very good.

I don't usually run my scopes at anything higher than 18X, once in a while at 20X, but not often. I find the ZCO 5-27 to be just fine for my needs.

The ergs on both scopes are very, very good. For what little I've used the tool less zero on the TT, it's nice. But, I don't use it much. For those that do, I can see where they would be more passionate about it.

At the end of the day, I prefer the ZCO. Having said that, I'm keeping both brands. I've been very happy with both.

If I were in the market for a new scope, my default response has been that I'd get another ZCO. But......I have multiple ZCO's now, so I would possibly consider another TT. Flip side is the TT is quite a bit more money, which in my opinion, favors the ZCO.

At the end of the day, it would be very difficult to be unhappy with either one.

Last edited:
I have both. I have no real criticisms of either, I love them both.

IMHO, the TT IQ is ever so slightly better than the ZCO. Is it $1K to $1.2K better ? Not for me it isn't.

The eyebox of the ZCO is more forgiving than the TT, but the TT is still very good.

I don't usually run my scopes at anything higher than 18X, once in a while at 20X, but not often. I find the ZCO 5-27 to be just fine for my needs.

The ergs on both scopes are very, very good. For what little I've used the tool less zero on the TT, it's nice. But, I don't use it much. For those that do, I can see where they would be more passionate about it.

At the end of the day, I prefer the ZCO. Having said that, I'm keeping both brands. I've been very happy with both.

If I were in the market for a new scope, my default response has been that I'd get another ZCO. But......I have multiple ZCO's now, so I would possibly consider another TT. Flip side is the TT is quite a bit more money, which in my opinion, favors the ZCO.

At the end of the day, it would be very difficult to be unhappy with either one.

I think you need another of each brand to continue your research o_O

Reactions: anderson22
I settled on the MPCT2 reticle after a lot of testing. Sold off my MPCT1 and 3x. The MPCT2 just seems perfect for both centerfire and rimfire. Best all around reticle.

I have a new 527 10mil turret mpct-2x coming to go along with my 527 mpct3x and 420 mpct1. I've compared my 527 to TT and don't see any difference glass wise. Hell my minox zp5 I paid 2600$ for is indescernable from ZCO and TT but tangibles are up to same spec. I'm a big fan of the zco scopes.

Last edited: