• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will the AI AE platform feed 284 based cartridges?

The feeding is the concern for me. Bullets being 6mm in my case are smaller in diameter and shorter so the case capacity and mag length issues are minimized in a 6/284. I've done a number of them with good results. Barrels are of course consumable...

I can't see why it wouldn't feed properly, though it may require a little finagling on magazine position.

For example, I built a 284 on an FN SPR. I had to fit the magazine release just right so the bolt *wouldn't* catch up on the magazine, but *would* catch on the case head. Obviously, with the rebated rim you have a smaller target.

Still, wasn't a big deal, it was really close before I tweaked it.

In theory it should feed fine but my experience with a 6-284 in a short action has been that it only works well with extremely short light bullets. With heavy bullets the smaller 243 actually out performs it at mag length because you can poke them out further and it has better barrel life. When you seat a 100+gr bullet in the 6-284 at SA mag lengths you lose a lot of capacity. You can also forget about shooting VLD's because even with an extremely short chamber to allow them to work well at mag length you will never be able to seat them out to chase the lands like you'll have to in short order.

If you want to run the heavies in a short action 6mm, the 243 and 6CM is the way to go. A bigger case doesn't always mean better performance.

In theory it should feed fine but my experience with a 6-284 in a short action has been that it only works well with extremely short light bullets. With heavy bullets the smaller 243 actually out performs it at mag length because you can poke them out further and it has better barrel life. When you seat a 100+gr bullet in the 6-284 at SA mag lengths you lose a lot of capacity. You can also forget about shooting VLD's because even with an extremely short chamber to allow them to work well at mag length you will never be able to seat them out to chase the lands like you'll have to in short order.

If you want to run the heavies in a short action 6mm, the 243 and 6CM is the way to go. A bigger case doesn't always mean better performance.

I built a short action 284, and load cartridges at 2.950" COAL. It gives up MAYBE 50fps to a long action. I run 175smk @ ~2825.

The little 6mm bullets will "consume" even less capacity.

However, it's not capacity that's wrong with stuffing the 284 into a short action, it's brass prep and avoiding inconsistent neck tension due to donuts.

Cool. As long as you're aware of donut/neck tension issues and stay on top of it.

That added capacity was getting eaten up when I had to seat the bullet way down in the case to stay mag length. Then I had the issue of a huge jump to the lands so I couldn't make VLD's work. With 243 I could load the bullet out so the base of the boat tail was at the bottom of the neck or even longer and still be under mag length.

I think 6-284 is a great round but to me and from my experience it's pointless in a short action.

Will the AI AE platform feed 284 based cartridges?

Not so sure your 6/284 was set up correctly or that you used the most appropriate powders. With a COAL of 2.900, a 105 VLD has .500 in the case and .735 exposed. That hardly eats up a bunch of volume.

Anyway, I appreciate the input. I know it will work for my purposes. I've safely run numerous 105 loads at 3400+ and that is a jump up from my 243s. I just want to make sure they will run through the action. My first one was built on a Sako and I had to play with the magazines a lot to make it fly.