• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing will this action work or not?

k80kid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2010
Southeast Michigan
I have a Remington 700 action from a LTR 308. I am looking at building it up as a 7mm WSM or a 300 WSM. I know I would have to get a new bolt but will the action work or are the magnum actions heavier and wider then the standard calibers?

Re: will this action work or not?

They are the same action other than the bolt face, your action will work. You can either get a new bolt, or have the boltface on the current bolt turned out, this will mean a sako or M16 style extractor installed as well.

DD

best thing to do is sell the LTR barreled action. Then buy a Rem 700 270wsm or 7wsm or 300wsm

For my 7wsm build I used a Rem 700 sps in 270wsm. Had the gunsmith scrap the barrel and completely true up the action.
7wsm.jpg

This is a good point, I forgot that the feed rails might be different on the WSM action, and they may need to be trimmed in a .308 size action to feed the fat case better. It is a good idea to start with the right platform because it is already taken care of, but it can be done from a standard action.

Dave

since you already have the action in hand then i'd go ahead and build on that , the added cost to have the rails opened up realy isin't gonna be that big of an issue as opposed to the hassel of selling you old gun and buying a new one.
If your gonna sell the thing you may as well buy a custom action to replace it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">since you already have the action in hand then i'd go ahead and build on that , the added cost to have the rails opened up realy isin't gonna be that big of an issue as opposed to the hassel of selling you old gun and buying a new one.
If your gonna sell the thing you may as well buy a custom action to replace it</div></div>

An LTR will sell for $800 easy. He can buy a sps wsm for around $400. That is $400 that can go towards the build.