• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Will this suffice?

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
I don't have the budget to go buy a $300+ scope. As much as I'd like a big money scope it's not in the cards, but here's the options I have on hand already and it's application.

Application is a light barreled 308 hunting rifle that I have from Catt_tracker. The scope on it isn't currently functioning (broken power ring) and I don't feel like spending money to repair something that might not be repairable.

The rifle is claimed to shoot 1/2 MOA on a nice day, he gave me the details of the load so I plan to duplicate it as closely as possible as a base point.

I plan to use it for longer range deer hunting, maybe to 500 yards. It will get enough target shooting to keep me in practice but with the light setup for hunting, I probably won't be putting 40 rounds down the tube in a single sitting.

Currently I have:

1. Tasco 2.5-10 x 42 Mil-Dot 1" tube
2. Bushnell 6-18 x 50 1" tube (was planned to go back on my 30-06 when I complete refinish of the action)
3. Tasco 6-24 x 44 Mil Dot 1" tube
4. Osprey 6-24x50 30mm tube, range-finding reticle

All scopes have a proven POI repeatability and I like how they function except the Osprey. It's a new scope that was sent as a replacement for something that didn't hold a POI. I haven't decided what to do with it yet since I was testing it on the 30-06 but in the mean time I have stripped that rifle out because I wasn't satisfied with the finish on the receiver and it was getting a new stock. As you can tell, I have several ongoing projects.

Based on the application I forsee for the rifle, I'd like to be able to use it for PA woodland hunting so I was thinking that a lower magnification zoom of the 2.5-10x in the smaller tasco might be the way to go. The 10x is available if I can take a longer range shot near the reservoir in my stomping grounds too.

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards the lighter manification Tasco.

Re: Will this suffice?

500 yards..........
40 rounds in one sitting..........

....and you want to do what...exactly ?

I tried to provide enough information to understand the situation. Here's the cliffnotes version

max range, 500 yards
Mainly hunting, mixed with range trips out to 400y

Not more than 40 rounds in a single sitting, my neck/shoulders will be a mess.

Is 2.5-10x enough magnification to get the job done? Or should I go to a 6-18 or 6-24?

Practice to 400 yard and hunt to 500 yards? Maybe I'm an ass, but that screams of irresponsible to me. Unless you are SURE of your shot and are capable of making a good shot at that distance, I see a wounded animal that with a long, slow death in its future.

That's a pretty serious range for hunting... I wouldn't do it even though I know I could...

But yeah ten power's plenty for <500 yard shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csi:cyberspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Practice to 400 yard and hunt to 500 yards? Maybe I'm an ass, but that screams of irresponsible to me. Unless you are SURE of your shot and are capable of making a good shot at that distance, I see a wounded animal that with a long, slow death in its future. </div></div>

Access to a 500 yad range is not easily accessible. I have one spot that I get to shoot out to 500 about twice a year. Routinely getting there is not an option, but going to 400 I can do with relative frequency now that I found a new place to go.

For argument's sake, will the 2.5-10x be a comfortable application to 400 then? Ignore the 500 yard idea, as I get the occasional chance to practice I'll see for myself what my rate of hits at that range turns out to be. I'm reasonably confident I can do it, but as usual I'm going to try it on paper before I wound an animal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a pretty serious range for hunting... I wouldn't do it even though I know I could...

But yeah ten power's plenty for <500 yard shooting. </div></div>

Ok, that's what I figured, but I've only shot around 300-350 with an 18x scope. I found a new place to practice to 400 and my friend's parents said I can hunt a new area this year, there's 1 shot that goes 496.

That shot would be sitting varmint style from a table and a rest, I wouldn't dare try that from some sort of self-supported position.

You never know when a deer will appear out of nowhere up close.So the 2.5-10 should be the one.I hope it has target turrets and you got a good range finder.If possible practice cold bore shots at the location you plan on hunting at different distances.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You never know when a deer will appear out of nowhere up close.So the 2.5-10 should be the one.I hope it has target turrets and you got a good range finder.If possible practice cold bore shots at the location you plan on hunting at different distances.

Steve </div></div>

Yes, I forgot to mention that. Both Tasco's have target turrets in 1/4 MOA increments. So does the Osprey but in 1/8 MOA increments. It takes A LOT of clicking to go anywhere...

Rangefinder that I have is a Nikon 550 laser, so it gets me +/-1 yard.

I think I'm going to stick the 2.5-10 on it.

Look at it this way. A 500 yard shot through a 10X scope would be about like shooting with fine irons at 50 yards. It's not a perfect comparison, but I find it to be a fair benchmark for magnification.