• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will this work?

idaho1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2011
North Idaho
Can you use a .308 bullet seating die to seat a .243 bullet? Sounds crazy to me but I was instructed to use my .308 Forstner seating die to seat 6mm bullets for my 6xc reloads. The gentleman explained that it will do a better job as it engages the bullet at a wider point on the bullet.
Please let me know if this is acceptable practice. For the moment, 6xc seating dyes are not available, hence the need.

Thanks

The Forster bullet seat die is designed with an internal tight tolerance guide that keeps the bullet in axial alignment with the case during seating. The ability to hold tight axial alignment is what keeps runout to a minimum. I guess you could use the 6mm in the 30 cal die but it certainly will not work to your advantage. The seater stem is generally a cup design that engages the bullet on the ogive, not the tip. A 30 cal cup may be way too big for a 6mm bullet. Get the correct die or you will just introduce problems and chase your tail wondering what is screwed up in your process.

The Forster bullet seat die is designed with an internal tight tolerance guide that keeps the bullet in axial alignment with the case during seating. The ability to hold tight axial alignment is what keeps runout to a minimum. I guess you could use the 6mm in the 30 cal die but it certainly will not work to your advantage. The seater stem is generally a cup design that engages the bullet on the ogive, not the tip. A 30 cal cup may be way too big for a 6mm bullet. Get the correct die or you will just introduce problems and chase your tail wondering what is screwed up in your process.

Thanks, flashole.... That's sort of what I was thinking... The advise came from the tech service guy at Tubbs shooting system. At first, I accepted it but the more I thought about it....... Sounds like trouble.

Ps found a XC seating die at Sinclairs.