• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Will this work?

Pete E

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2004
North Wales, UK
I've been pondering a new scope for a rimfire primarily used as a bunny basher /trainer.

I don't particularly want to sink $800 plus into a Mil/Mil FFP scope, although thats what I'd like..

Failing that, I've decided I'd like a scope with a Mil dot reticle, and must have SF or PA...An illuminated reticule would also be very handy..

Looking at the choices available here in the UK, I am leaning towards a Hawke of some description, but the majority of their scopes have 1/4" clicks on the turrets when I really want the reticle to match the turrets..Also, they don't make a FFP variable I am aware of..

So here is the plan. If I get a variable power Mil dot scope, say a 4-16x50...As its a second focal plane scope, lets say the Mil dots are only true at x10.

With the scope zero'd I then shoot a three round group.

If I then adjust down 30 clicks on the turrets and using the same point of aim fire another 3 round group...

On the target, If I draw two horizontal lines, one through the centre of each group, I should end up with parallel lines which are in fact 30 clicks of subtension apart.

Now if I view those two lines through the scope, and adjust the magnification until the cross hair and the third Mil-dot match the two lines, I will have found the magnification at which the reticle actually matches the clicks on the turrets???

For arguments sake, lets say this happens at x12.7 power..

I'm thinking if i mark this on the power ring, out in the field, if I turn to this magnification setting, I can adjust my fall of shot by simply reading off the graduations on the reticle of the scope and dialing them in directly on the turrets?

Anybody tried this? Is it a practical approach?

Re: Will this work?

If you have a SFP scope with mil turrets and a mil reticle, the clicks would match the reticle at whatever magnification the mils are accurate, say 10x, right? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I think you are overthinking this.

You didn't read his post.

Yes Pete, that would work. You'd still need your drop data in MOA, but if you used 30 clicks as in your example, you'd have made the distance between each dot equal 7.5 MOA. That will end up happening at slightly below half of the correct ranging magnification.

As far as in practice, you wouldn't have all of the benefits of a mil/mil scope. Namely, you wouldn't be able to take your drop data and do simple hold-offs without having to calculate what the reticle is actually subtending. As far as holding off using the reticle, or adjusting the knobs to match an impact observed on the reticle, it would be exactly the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kombar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You didn't read his post.

Yes Pete, that would work. You'd still need your drop data in MOA, but if you used 30 clicks as in your example, you'd have made the distance between each dot equal 7.5 MOA. That will end up happening at slightly below half of the correct ranging magnification.

As far as in practice, you wouldn't have all of the benefits of a mil/mil scope. Namely, you wouldn't be able to take your drop data and do simple hold-offs without having to calculate what the reticle is actually subtending. As far as holding off using the reticle, or adjusting the knobs to match an impact observed on the reticle, it would be exactly the same. </div></div>

Thanks Kombar,

I would prefer a Mil/Mil FFP scope, but the only one I know of at that price out with the majority of features I want is Falcon Menace and it seems to get very mixed reviews..

Regards

Peter