• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Williams bottom metal

SilencercoJames

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 30, 2008
kearns, ut, 84118
Anybody have experience and pics? I did search and only found limited info. All I know is that it is a drop in most of the time. Likes and dislikes would be appreciated as well as pics.
Thanks

Re: Williams bottom metal

Do you have more room inside the mag?
What is the max OAL that you think you could load?
Thanks for the help

Here is Williams bottom metal on a USMC return stock. Very sturdy, works great. M40a1 build done by a hide member, used Wiliams bottom metal because the stock did not have original metal. Holds standard five rounds.

PICT0009_edited-2.jpg

I put Williams bottom metal on my 700P (HS Precision stock) and it was perfect fit. If you do order from them just tell them what type or make stock it's going into and they will hook you up. The only mod was to trim thr bottom of the factory magazine as it was just touching the floorplate (not needed for everyone). For the money it's a very nice piece of kit. No, it's not as heavy, big or honking oversized as the Badger or DD Ross floorplates but is miles better than the factory Remington floorplates.

I'll post a couple pictures later. If you go to http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=851808&page=3 and scroll down to my post you'll see a little bit.

+1 for Williams, Super people to deal with. Got several 700 SA floorplates, Perfect fit every time.

Yup good stuff....Ive had both models shown above and loved them both, very tough and well built. And a hell of a piece of gear for the price in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bxroads</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Matt at Williams will tell you that the fit with McMillans can be tricky due to the shadow line inletting. Here's pics of mine. Not that it would take much work to make it fit, but its not drop in.

* I had to relieve just a touch at the rear to get it in. If you look closely you'll see a hairline split in the gelcoat where I didn't remove enough and split the surface of the gelcoat when I forced it.

* The latch will not shut without some relieving.

* The plate does not cover the shadow inletting in the front, just behind the hinge pin

07Shadow.jpg

08Shadow.jpg

09Shadow.jpg

10Shadow.jpg

11Shadow.jpg

12Shadow.jpg

</div></div>

I wonder what it is about the Model 70 inlet that precludes the need for the shadowline?

"Chucknelson" That McMillan stock you have is not cut for Williams drop in metal. There is a difference and McMillan has, or did have, the program for that Williams metal. I know because I went round and round with both Williams and McMillan last year regarding just this issue.

McMillan stocks cut for the Remington bottom metal will not take the Williams drop in without mods. Now you could order the stock from McMillan for the drop in Williams but you needed to tell McMillan you have Williams drop in. If you told McMillan you wanted Remington BDL but wanted to use Williams that would be incorrect.

Now with that being said things could have changed but when I get a chance I will take pics of the stock I have that is cut for Williams drop in metal.

I see, I got you guys mixed up, but yeah that's the deal. If it's cut for Remington BDL Williams drop in will not fit without mods. It has more to do with the floor plate profile and the stock line then anything else.

This is a McMillan stock cut for Williams drop in metal. These two pics are with the Remington BDL sitting in it. You can see the stock cut is different.

williams1.jpg

williams2.jpg

Same stock with the drop in Williams. Notice the shape of the floor plate.

Williams4.jpg

williams3.jpg

I am a simple person.

I wonder why is it then if a McMillan is ordered and inletted to Remington BDL spec why a Williams floorplate made to drop-in to a factory Remington BDL doesn't just drop-in?

Is there something I am over looking. I'm only wondering myself as I am putting things together for another project and if I buy an already available McM stock and not order one inletted to specific spec what kind of issues I might be run into.

Like I mentioned I am a simple person and try not to over think or complicate things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a simple person.

I wonder why is it then if a McMillan is ordered and inletted to Remington BDL spec why a Williams floorplate made to drop-in to a factory Remington BDL doesn't just drop-in?

Is there something I am over looking. I'm only wondering myself as I am putting things together for another project and if I buy an already available McM stock and not order one inletted to specific spec what kind of issues I might be run into.

Like I mentioned I am a simple person and try not to over think or complicate things. </div></div>

Two different manufactures making two different parts. The Williams will drop in and look just fine on just about any stock that uses the Remington BDL bottom metal because the floor plate sits on top of the stock. As where the McMillan choose to recess the floor plate for a cleaner look. McMillan’s stock line is for the factory BDL floor plate, Williams floor plate is shaped differently.

If you want an aftermarket bottom metal that is a direct drop in to any Remington BDL cut out order a Pacific Tool & Gage bottom metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a simple person.

Like I mentioned I am a simple person and try not to over think or complicate things. </div></div>

Two different manufactures making two different parts. The Williams will drop in and look just fine on just about any stock that uses the Remington BDL bottom metal because the floor plate sits on top of the stock. As where the McMillan choose to recess the floor plate for a cleaner look. McMillan’s stock line is for the factory BDL floor plate, Williams floor plate is shaped differently.

If you want an aftermarket bottom metal that is a direct drop in to any Remington BDL cut out order a Pacific Tool & Gage bottom metal.
</div></div>

Ah I see now. That was a simple explination. Thank you very much.

Does anyone know how the Badger M4 bottom metal fits McMillan's "BDL" cut? Pics would be great!
Thanks

Dick Davis addressed this about 2 weeks ago:

Gentlemen,
If you gather up about 30 or 40 Remington BDL floorplates made over a 20 year span, you will find that they are not all identical. On some the front of the floorplate will overhang the front of the frame by .020" or .030", and on some they overhang the rear of the frame by the same amount. The "shadow line" we cut around the frame is a relief cut we make to allow all the floorplates to set flush on the frame and open and close easily without binding. It also let the BDL floorplate sit down into some of the deeper belly stocks (MBR's, silhouette's, etc) and still function. It's taken about 20 years of tinkering with our BDL inletting program to get to the point where some customers wouldn't gripe about their floorplate being hard to close or open.
The Williams floorplate has a longer floorplate than the Remington. The floorplate extends about .100" or so past the front of the trigger bow (what we used to call a straddle (sp?) floorplate because the front straddles the front of the trigger bow) to give it some side impact resistance. We inlet the proper clearance for this style to sit flush on the frame and operate properly also.
The two floorplate frames are basically the same, but the floorplates themselves are not. The solution is really quite simple, if you are using a Remington BDL floorplate order the stock inletted for it. If you are using a Williams BDL floorplate then order the stock inletted for the Williams.

I have the Williams piece that I got from Brownells, and it was a drop in fit in my PSS stock. Quality craftsmanship and great fit. WAY BETTER than the factory part. I recommend the piece.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .308er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have more room inside the mag?
Thanks for the help
</div></div>

This one didn't get answered and I would like to know... what is the max OAL for a McMillan stock inletted for 700 S/A and Williams BM?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .308er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have more room inside the mag?
Thanks for the help
</div></div>

This one didn't get answered and I would like to know... what is the max OAL for a McMillan stock inletted for 700 S/A and Williams BM? </div></div>

you use the same mag box whether using the factory BDL or the Williams bottom metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucknelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .308er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have more room inside the mag?
Thanks for the help
</div></div>

This one didn't get answered and I would like to know... what is the max OAL for a McMillan stock inletted for 700 S/A and Williams BM? </div></div>

you use the same mag box whether using the factory BDL or the Williams bottom metal. </div></div>

Which is how long? Sorry, I don't have one for reference. I was trying to overspecify in case it made a difference.