• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wilson 300 HAM’r (HAMR) twist rate for subsonic?

Rateoftwist

Gentle Ben
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2017
Apex NC
Hey all,
I have been taking a hard look at the 300 HAM’r cartridge as a versatile brush deer/hog/youth instruction medium power rifle… I have read amazing accuracy so interested on multiple levels but like my handle here… what is the best twist rate for subsonic out of a 16 inch barrel? I see two types offered by Wilson 1/13 vs 1/15.. I plan to primarily shoot full power 150 grain for hunting purposes for best range/penetration for what appears to be consistent with spitzer bullet 30-30 (know not exact match but close)… however I recently purchased my first can (tbac dominus cb) and wanted to check with you guys out there with any experience here… my concern is ensuring no issues with damaging my suppressor (like many I am a working guy with family first)… any problems running heavier bullets subsonic or recommendations? As always huge thank you for your experience and responses.

There are no published subsonic loads by WC. Subsonic use was not a consideration during the design.

You are limited to 95-150gr bullets of .390bc or less generally speaking. I think you can technically fit a 165gr bullet but it's not a published load

Reactions: Rateoftwist
My experience Is a sample of one . I shot a prs gas gun match and a guy was in my squad and had a 300 hamr . And he holding his own out to 700 yds but that was about it . the gun run fine and after the match I put a few rounds down range and I can se how it would be a great hunting rifle . That being said If you want to run sub's and don't want to do an SBR , pick up a 16 inch 300 blackout upper with pistol gas and blaze away with the sub's . everybody and their brother sell's them and they are not to expensive .

Reactions: Rateoftwist
There are no published subsonic loads by WC. Subsonic use was not a consideration during the design.

You are limited to 95-150gr bullets of .390bc or less generally speaking. I think you can technically fit a 165gr bullet but it's not a published load

My experience Is a sample of one . I shot a prs gas gun match and a guy was in my squad and had a 300 hamr . And he holding his own out to 700 yds but that was about it . the gun run fine and after the match I put a few rounds down range and I can se how it would be a great hunting rifle . That being said If you want to run sub's and don't want to do an SBR , pick up a 16 inch 300 blackout upper with pistol gas and blaze away with the sub's . everybody and their brother sell's them and they are not to expensive .

I don't think you're going to hurt anything but I don't think it's going to perform well with the twist rate accuracy wise and probably wouldn't even cycle with Midlength gas