• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wilson 300 Ham'r

Is this just a Necked-up ( .30 cal. ) x45 parent case . for an AR15 platform ?

Out an AR15 . and ( 16" Barrel length ) . It real hard to be more efficient burn and faster Vel. . Than a .257 Bore diameter / .25x45 .

1st I seen this Advertisement . HAM'R .30-223 Cal. . it does reads to be using neck-up 223 brass in reading Load data in there Add . . ( i assume ? ) Wilson saami spec. it and offering Ammo, Brass and Dies ? .
I Really LIKE loading/shooting neck-up .223 and it very efficient, with easy brass and load work for reloading . Many Good choices when using .223 brass for a neck-up load . With the 6x45 the king of speed and efficiency . Works Great out both AR15 and Bolt action .

reading advertisement , ( 18" barrel length ) 1-15 twist , Wilson claims i getting 200 fps more ( 2600 vel. ) out of a 110 grain bullet, over the .30BLK . . Also states the Ham'r x45 and 150 grn. bullets getting Velocity range ( 2190 – 2250 FPS ) .
but them grabbing at the Brass Ring stating ..." and offers near .308 Winchester effectiveness ". in the 1st sentence of there sale pitch . Not even close resemblance, as I get 3100 muzzle Vel. with 110's out .308 win.
AR15, ( 16" barrel ) 1-9 twist , also for another comparison to neck-up x45 parent case . Out the 25x45 , neck-up 223 to .25 cal. I get 2800 fps with 87 grn. bullets .

I tried a 25/45. It was fine but I pulled it down and went back to 5.56.
Still have the set up if anyone wants it. barrel, brass, dies, BCG, and a ton of bullets. It shot great.

I tried a 25/45. It was fine but I pulled it down and went back to 5.56.
Still have the set up if anyone wants it. barrel, brass, dies, BCG, and a ton of bullets. " It shot great " .
-
6mm x45 , with a long ( 24" barrel ) is king . but ( 16" barrel) the .25x45, I does shoot great . ( my opinion ) . hydraulics of shoving a .25 bullet off a .223 Case, with size .25 Bore Diam. in a Barrel . I got to say I find the .25 Bore Diam. to be the most efficient .

It was a shooter. I am just locked into 5.56 for my specific needs.

Meh.
Whats the obsession with .30 cal anyways?

I like it for bigger holes in pigs.

I know, hydrostatic shock etc and the science say that a 223 should do well enough on pigs but my experiences just dont bear out that theory. Hit a big pig with a 223 less than perfectly and he will just keep on trucking. Ive gone to blackouts (supersonic) for my night time hunting because it just seems to be more authoritative on game.

The hamr does appear to be a great hunting round for a small frame ar but with my thermaling done mainly at 1.5x so I dont think its benefits would really be realized by me. Im limited more by pixels than distance so the 2.4" of drop gained at 200 over a blackout is negligible.

Last edited:
.30 Rem AR would eat its lunch if that round ever went anywhere. .30 Major also(.308 cal Grendel improved used by Mr Stinnett in short range BR to set the smallest group record: .0077in @ 100yd).

All it looks like to me is the 7.62x40 WC rebranded with a different twist rate, 1-15" instead of 1-12".

I am digging the lightening cuts on the new billet receiver though, I have one of there 6.8spc guns with a 16" fluted mid weight and the unlightened billet recievers.

Reactions: Constructor
I’d rather have an AR that shot 7.62X39 commie.

While not in an AR, I had zero problem getting above 2500fps with 125's in my 7.62x39 and I dont think that would change if it was an AR barrel. This bolt rifle uses mini 14 mags, so they would fit a AR mag length without issue.

Edited to add,
This load was 2569fps sd-7 es-14 for three over a magnetospeed
The Ruger american ranch has a 16" barrel that contrary to what they claim, isn't quite free floating.

Attachments

• 20171026_115840-1.jpg
    20171026_115840-1.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I like it for bigger holes in pigs.

I know, hydrostatic shock etc and the science say that a 223 should do well enough on pigs but my experiences just dont bear out that theory. Hit a big pig with a 223 less than perfectly and he will just keep on trucking. Ive gone to blackouts (supersonic) for my night time hunting because it just seems to be more authoritative on game.

The hamr does appear to be a great hunting round for a small frame ar but with my thermaling done mainly at 1.5x so I dont think its benefits would really be realized by me. Im limited more by pixels than distance so the 2.4" of drop gained at 200 over a blackout is negligible.

Never shot a pig with anything, but on plates there is definitely a more substantial impact with .30 than 223. IMO

The 30 Herrett( 30 HRT, TAC 30) and similar American 30 are all based on the 6.8 case and have been around since 2007. I think Marty Terweem was the first to neck up the 6.8 and called it the 30 HRT(Herret rimless tactical) Some of the guys shooting the Tac 30 with Shooters World Blackout and 125gr MKZ bullets(Cavity Back) are getting 2790fps out of 18" barrels. The 110gr bullets are hitting near 3000.
Agree this 300 is rebranding of the 7.62x40, uses 5.56 bolts but must use modified 5.56 mags or the bullet pinch on the front rib.

Reactions: XLR308
Never shot a pig with anything, but on plates there is definitely a more substantial impact with .30 than 223. IMO
NO joke, Anyone that thinks a 223 will drop hogs as fast as a 30 cal (not a weak ass blackout) has never compared the 2.

I have shot over 20 feral hogs with 5.56 AR 15 ... they drop in their tracks. I shoot them in the head - they go straight down. I have also shot pigs in the head with 9mm, 6.8 SPC, 300BLK, 308, 6.5 Grendel ... all of them go straight down. If there truly is a speed difference its is quite insignificant (free-fall speed of a pig varies on bullet caliber??). So to your point - YES, YES I have indeed compared the 2 ... and many more.

It doesn't matter ... shoot them in the head, they drop straight down.

I have shot over 20 feral hogs with 5.56 AR 15 ... they drop in their tracks. I shoot them in the head - they go straight down. I have also shot pigs in the head with 9mm, 6.8 SPC, 300BLK, 308, 6.5 Grendel ... all of them go straight down. If there truly is a speed difference its is quite insignificant (free-fall speed of a pig varies on bullet caliber??). So to your point - YES, YES I have indeed compared the 2 ... and many more.

It doesn't matter ... shoot them in the head, they drop straight down.

I have killed a couple feral hogs with a 22WM shot in the sweet spot behind the ear at up to 75 yards and killed others that had been trapped, castrated and fattened up in a pen for slaughter with a 22lr shot between the eyes but both instances are very controlled situations.

Sure just about anything will kill one if hit in the right spot but they are very fidgidy and nervous animals anywhere they have been pressured and in those places most farmers and ranchers just want the destructive vermin eradicated instead of waiting for the perfect shot on one animal a more potent caliber is needed for killing as many as possible at one time while they are running to escape.

I'm at least a little interested because I've got a 30 caliber suppressor 300 blk is ok but this would be better (for hogs ). Really I'd like a slow twist 30 Grendel but no one seems to stock one

where have you guys been???? well i guess not everyone's into surplus firearms. hate to burst everybody bubble but i believe in calling a spade a spade.
the czech's came out with this cartridge in 1952!!!! yes, its this cartridge here is a pick to compare to. so i'm just a little uncomfortable in believing that wilson did a lot of R & D to get this cartridge. the czech felt , as alot of you do , that the 7.62X39 was a little on the week side.
anyway look at it.
7.62x45w7.62x39w5.56.JPG

where have you guys been???? well i guess not everyone's into surplus firearms. hate to burst everybody bubble but i believe in calling a spade a spade.
the czech's came out with this cartridge in 1952!!!! yes, its this cartridge here is a pick to compare to. so i'm just a little uncomfortable in believing that wilson did a lot of R & D to get this cartridge. the czech felt , as alot of you do , that the 7.62X39 was a little on the week side.
anyway look at it.
View attachment 7012944
Same name...not the same diameter or cartridge. On the other side, it takes about 10 minutes to design a reamer/chamber.

Reactions: 260284
I like it... built to run in an AR.

I even like the play on words for the name.... Ham ( pig ) R.

Yeah it sounds interesting, but the ammo is more expensive and harder to find than 6.8 SPC, and has similar ballistics. That said, I'd still like to try one out :D