• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wilson Arms 16" and 20" AR15 Barrel Testing

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania
    I received both my Wilson Arms 416SS Match barrels to test. First one is a 16" bull profile 223 Wylde 1-8 stainless .936 carbine gas and the other is a 20" Bull profile 223 Wylde 1-8 Stainless Match .875 rifle gas.

I have RCA Adjustable gas BCG, MEGA matched billet ambi NP3 coated receiver set... waiting on a new stock and SLR 15" hanguard.

Stay tuned....I think some will be surprised how well these barrels shoot!

The 16" is on sale for $99.99 right now and the 20" was $250. They have fluted and Jon fluted versions, SPR and all different profiles.

I received both my Wilson Arms 416SS Match barrels to test. First one is a 16" bull profile 223 Wylde 1-8 stainless .936 carbine gas and the other is a 20" Bull profile 223 Wylde 1-8 Stainless Match .875 rifle gas.

I have RCA Adjustable gas BCG, MEGA matched billet ambi NP3 coated receiver set... waiting on a new stock and SLR 15" hanguard.

Stay tuned....I think some will be surprised how well these barrels shoot!

The 16" is on sale for $99.99 right now and the 20" was $250. They have fluted and Jon fluted versions, SPR and all different profiles.

Why carbine, just for S&G?

Reactions: jh2785
    Check your headspace with the bolt(s) you are going to use.............I'll explain.

I only have one WC barrel & it's very lightweight SS, fluted, 16" intermediate gas, that I used for a lightweight build.

As with all barrels that I use, I checked the HS before installing it with a standard Forster Go-gauge & I also have a gauge for measuring HS on brass so I always keep a few sized at +/- from zero as a reference & to get an actual HS number for a given barrel.

With a half dozen or so new bolts that I had on had, none would close on the HS Go-gauge & none would close on several types of new ammo on hand, but did close on one.

Talked to WC, was assured that it was in spec 'cause they said so & that they check all barrels.

They sent me another one, same issue.

According to my measurements the HS on the 2nd barrel was .002" shorter than a Go-gauge.

I really wanted to use the barrel, but I'm not a fan of letting the bolt crush rounds by .002" when it slams home, so I stoned a non-nitrided Geiselle bolt to fit.

On another forum, later, Bill Wilson actually admitted that they were making the HS to short to match with industry standard bolts.............by about .002".

That was a year & a half ago, & he said they've fixed it, but to save yourself some grief, I'd suggest that you verify it's OK with your bolts before assembly either with a HS Go-gauge or with several types of new brass / ammo.

After all the aggravation, the barrel shoots extremely well for a lightweight gun & barrel, & cleans easily & I am very happy with it. It's also a very nicely machined barrel on the OD as well.

With a 9x scope it routinely groups 5 shots into 3/4". I'm sure yours with the heavier barrels will do well.

MM

Last edited:
    Reactions: simonp

Attachments

• villain.jpg
      villain.jpg
      286.2 KB · Views: 93
    Check your headspace with the bolt(s) you are going to use.............I'll explain.

I only have one WC barrel & it's very lightweight SS, fluted, 16" intermediate gas, that I used for a lightweight build.

As with all barrels that I use, I checked the HS before installing it with a standard Forster Go-gauge & I also have a gauge for measuring HS on brass so I always keep a few sized at +/- from zero as a reference & to get an actual HS number for a given barrel.

With a half dozen or so new bolts that I had on had, none would close on the HS Go-gauge & none would close on several types of new ammo on hand, but did close on one.

Talked to WC, was assured that it was in spec 'cause they said so & that they check all barrels.

They sent me another one, same issue.

According to my measurements the HS on the 2nd barrel was .002" shorter than a Go-gauge.

I really wanted to use the barrel, but I'm not a fan of letting the bolt crush rounds by .002" when it slams home, so I stoned a non-nitrided Geiselle bolt to fit.

On another forum, later, Bill Wilson actually admitted that they were making the HS to short to match with industry standard bolts.............by about .002".

That was a year & a half ago, & he said they've fixed it, but to save yourself some grief, I'd suggest that you verify it's OK with your bolts before assembly either with a HS Go-gauge or with several types of new brass / ammo.

After all the aggravation, the barrel shoots extremely well for a lightweight gun & barrel, & cleans easily & I am very happy with it. It's also a very nicely machined barrel on the OD as well.

With a 9x scope it routinely groups 5 shots into 3/4". I'm sure yours with the heavier barrels will do well.

MM

Those are Wilson Arms Barrels, not Wilson Combat. But yes it's always a good idea to check headspace.

Well I got an out of stock notice on my SLR handguard.

Decided to try one of these new JP MLOK handguards with its 1.4" ID... I've had plenty of JP round handguards but didn't know they came out with MLOK handguards. Either way, I have one on the way. Looking forward to getting it in hand and checking it out.

Well I got an out of stock notice on my SLR handguard.

Decided to try one of these new JP MLOK handguards with its 1.4" ID... I've had plenty of JP round handguards but didn't know they came out with MLOK handguards. Either way, I have one on the way. Looking forward to getting it in hand and checking it out.

They are very nice great texture.
    Just make sure you have the required loctite for the install on hand.

Do standard barrel nuts fit over the barrel? I had to mill out a barrel nut to fit my Wilson arms 20”

So to be completely transparent on this....if you have a barrel nut with a 1.00" ID it won't fit.. these barrels measure 1.05" under the handguard.

I spoke to Andre today @ JP who confirmed their barrel nuts will fit. So that's the info you need if you want one of these bull barrels... or you can get one of the many other Wilson barrel profiles...

So to be completely transparent on this....if you have a barrel nut with a 1.00" ID it won't fit.. these barrels measure 1.05" under the handguard.

I spoke to Andre today @ JP who confirmed their barrel nuts will fit. So that's the info you need if you want one of these bull barrels... or you can get one of the many other Wilson barrel profiles...

I'd rather shove a ice pick through my ear drum than talk with Andre on the phone with his monotone voice, and the dude constantly fucks up my orders.

I'd rather shove a ice pick through my ear drum than talk with Andre on the phone with his monotone voice, and the dude constantly fucks up my orders.

Lololol. I asked him 3x if it will fit...he said if the barrel inserts into an ar15 upper it will fit. I said so your Confirming your barrel nut will fit over a 1.05" barrel and he said I don't know the measurements... then how can you confirm? Extension fitting into upper has jack shit to do with 1.05" under handguard.... ok send me an email and I'll get it confirmed.. finally got back to me 7hr later saying it's close but their nut will fit. Hahahah

I have one of these $99 16in bull barrels. Mine is hammer. It seems to shoot all bullets to their full potential. Ie if this barrel wont shoot the bullets, then none of my other gas guns even have a chance.

My barrel was over sized after the extension and required the ID of the barrel nut to be opened up.

My only complaint is that its a carbine length gas system. Would be awesome if it was mid or rifle.

Reactions: jh2785 and padom
    Best five shot groups of some various bullets ive tried. Doesnt alway do this, but this barrel does seem to be more consistent on average then other barrels i have.

My 73eld load is always under .75in at 100yds

The 69rmrs have never been under 1in at 100yds, but never over 1.5in

It seems to shoot basically any 55gr load between 1.5-2 moa.

Ballistic-X-Export-2022-08-21 07_05_17.026151.pngBallistic-X-Export-2022-08-26 09_45_01.670005.pngBallistic-X-Export-2022-08-26 10_01_54.231099.jpg

Last edited:
    Best five shot groups of some various bullets ive tried. Doesnt alway do this, but this barrel does seem to be more consistent on average then other barrels i have.

My 73eld load is always under .75in at 100yds

The 69rmrs have never been under 1in at 100yds, but never over 1.5in

It seems to shoot basically any 55gr load between 1.5-2 moa.

View attachment 8210170View attachment 8210174View attachment 8210184

Nice info! 73 ELD's shooting well have been very barrel dependant for me. My Rainier Ultramatch (Shilen) Gen1 shot the 73 ELD's lights fucking out every group sub 0.5moa. My Compass Lake Bartlein and Keystone Krieger didnt like them but they LOVED 77smk... Glad to hear the 73 ELD's shoot well in your Wilson. Maybe Ill just start my testing with them as I have a ton of them.

RMR bullets never shot great for me. I dont know whats up with them, they SAY they arent factory seconds but something is going on. They dont come in normal retail packaging and they have been inconsistent for me every time I tested them.... Hard pass.

Nice info! 73 ELD's shooting well have been very barrel dependant for me. My Rainier Ultramatch (Shilen) Gen1 shot the 73 ELD's lights fucking out every group sub 0.5moa. My Compass Lake Bartlein and Keystone Krieger didnt like them but they LOVED 77smk... Glad to hear the 73 ELD's shoot well in your Wilson. Maybe Ill just start my testing with them as I have a ton of them.

RMR bullets never shot great for me. I dont know whats up with them, they SAY they arent factory seconds but something is going on. They dont come in normal retail packaging and they have been inconsistent for me every time I tested them.... Hard pass.

Ill be excited to see your results also. My buddy has a wilson arms barrel in a different profile that also shoots really well with a lot of different bullets. Do you get good performance from your 73s at mag length?

I was a hoping for more out of the RMRs, but honestly for the matches i shoot them in, I dont need sub moa performance. I just need to be able to get onto a full size ipsc at 500yds, which these will do.

Ill be excited to see your results also. My buddy has a wilson arms barrel in a different profile that also shoots really well with a lot of different bullets. Do you get good performance from your 73s at mag length?

I was a hoping for more out of the RMRs, but honestly for the matches i shoot them in, I dont need sub moa performance. I just need to be able to get onto a full size ipsc at 500yds, which these will do.

Yes all my testing with the 73's were mag length. Here my OCW, Seating Depth test and 5 shot group load confirmation targets. This was shot in my Rainer Ultramatch Gen1 (shilen ratchet blank).

If you like 8208, you'll love VV - N540.

More velocity, maybe better accuracy, but at least as good..............just takes a couple more grains though is the usage is slightly more.

MM

If you like 8208, you'll love VV - N540.

More velocity, maybe better accuracy, but at least as good..............just takes a couple more grains though is the usage is slightly more.

MM

I like H4895 as well.... I have lots of N150, n540, n550 and n555.. havent used it in the AR though

Reactions: B1nks
    JP MLOK handguard came. I like the textured feel. I dislike the mounting system and question it's rigidity but time will tell. Just dry fit it on before I install it.

JP was correct on barrel nut size. It fit right over these bull barrels..

Rubber City adjustable gas BCG and Geissele airborne CH installed.

Gotta put PRS stock and 419 ARCA on it and I'll be ready to get some testing going.

Still deciding which trigger to run in it.

Reactions: Ernest 5.56
    LOL, that's over 9,000+ 223 rounds...............that should work for a year or 2's worth of shooting. Maybe

MM

Yeah, 23.5 is the easy button alright & I love 8208 as well & still have a full 8 pounder but VV N540 does just as well with a little more velocity so I'm using that as well.

Someone also mentioned H4895, but as far as I'm concerned that's a last choice for an AR as the recoil impulse is just too quick to suit me.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

Alright I got the JP handguard loctited on and ready to go. It's more stable/solid than anticipated.. fixed low profile gas block is installed.. RCA BCG with adjustable gas key is installed. It's got a LaRue MB2S in it now. I'll get some rounds down it while I decide on a new trigger.. thinking the SSA -EX Lightning box...

Alright I got the JP handguard loctited on and ready to go. It's more stable/solid than anticipated.. fixed low profile gas block is installed.. RCA BCG with adjustable gas key is installed. It's got a LaRue MB2S in it now. I'll get some rounds down it while I decide on a new trigger.. thinking the SSA -EX Lightning box...
    I love the larue triggers, its my default trigger for a new rifle. But for my precision rifles ive really been enjoying the triggertech 2 stage diamond.

Be sure to watch for a G labor day sale.

Took it out yesterday just to get some rounds down it. Had a heavy shitty Rise Armament trigger, Magpul CTR stock and carbine buffer/spring.

Just put some various differwnr 55 and 62gr ammo (left 9 dots) then put some 75 BTHP 8208 dillon 650 ammo I had laying around.. one of those 75 bthp groups top right was 0.4".. so it's looking like it will shoot with good ammo.

Just got my SSA-EX Lightning Bow trigger, rifle buffer tube and PRS stock and silent capture spring and put it on.

This SSA-EX WOW! It feels better than I expected!!! Nice light medium length of travel 1st stage, then a light, crisp candy cane like 2nd stage break. Very very nice. I think I'll order another one while on sale.

Ready to work up some loads and really get to testing.

I like H4895 as well.... I have lots of N150, n540, n550 and n555.. havent used it in the AR though
    wish i could find H4895! I've found IMR's variant but never see Hodgdon anymore and I only have like 2lbs left.

I have the upper put together and ready to go. Gotta load up some ammo and get it tested.

Been crazy busy with work with zero free time to shoot guns lately. Hopefully the week of Thanksgiving I can get out and get some testing done.

It will get done, just a matter of when

Last edited:
    I've seen nothing but GREAT reviews of the Wilson Arms barrels (not to be confused with Wilson Combat barrels......but .....what if Wilson Arms supplies WC blanks? That'd get confusing). I see them at JSE Surplus and WOA.

Op, anything new on your end as far as testing? I'm wondering how these compare to Criterion, Noveske and Douglas barrels. @padom

I've seen nothing but GREAT reviews of the Wilson Arms barrels (not to be confused with Wilson Combat barrels......but .....what if Wilson Arms supplies WC blanks? That'd get confusing). I see them at JSE Surplus and WOA.

Op, anything new on your end as far as testing? I'm wondering how these compare to Criterion, Noveske and Douglas barrels. @padom
    I believe that WOA does use Wilson and they turn out a great barrel especially at the price

This is what WC has posted online about their barrels

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240402_212739_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20240402_212739_Chrome.jpg
      255.2 KB · Views: 33

I have the one 20" all built up and ready to test. Just need to load up some ammo and get to the range. Weather the past 2 months has been miserable and work has been super busy.

It's currently been pouring for almost 2 weeks and gonna rain till next Monday...

After these spring rains move out I should be able to get out and get these 2 Wilson barrels tested

Reactions: jh2785 and simonp