• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Wilson Combat Super Sentinel - thoughts?

Derrick300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, SC.
Looking at a new carry gun and ran across the Super Sentinel in 38 Super. Looks to be a very light compact 1911 carry gun in a great caliber. Like to get some first hand experience on how it performs as a carry gun, weight, reliability and any other thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Derrick

Re: Wilson Combat Super Sentinel - thoughts?

Take a look at the Baer, super stinger as well, I don't have either of those guns, but I do have a Colt, Combat Commander in .38 super that is all original and I am looking to send it to a smith for some work.

In my very expensive search for the perfect carry weapon, I owned (among others) the Baer Stinger and an original Sentinel in 45. I sold the Baer and carry the Sentinel exclusively when carrying IWB.

The Wilson has a 3.6" barrel, and is in my opinion a perfect blend on compactness and ability to shoot, based primarily on its steel frame (I also sold a Kimber AL framed pistol due to recoil).

I had Mitch Rosen build a holster around the pistol, and have been carrying it for the past 5yrs. Due to its slim profile, it doesn't print with shorts and a polo shirt. If you find yourself in the Greenville area send me a PM - I'll meet you at Allen Arms and you can decide for yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazlo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my very expensive search for the perfect carry weapon, I owned (among others) the Baer Stinger and an original Sentinel in 45. I sold the Baer and carry the Sentinel exclusively when carrying IWB.

The Wilson has a 3.6" barrel, and is in my opinion a perfect blend on compactness and ability to shoot, based primarily on its steel frame (I also sold a Kimber AL framed pistol due to recoil).

I had Mitch Rosen build a holster around the pistol, and have been carrying it for the past 5yrs. Due to its slim profile, it doesn't print with shorts and a polo shirt. If you find yourself in the Greenville area send me a PM - I'll meet you at Allen Arms and you can decide for yourself. </div></div>

Lazlo
Thanks for the info, I'm gonna give Wilson a call and see what kind of build times they're pushing.
If I'm in you're area I'll hit you up on PM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazlo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my very expensive search for the perfect carry weapon, I owned (among others) the Baer Stinger and an original Sentinel in 45. I sold the Baer and carry the Sentinel exclusively when carrying IWB.

I had Mitch Rosen build a holster around the pistol, and have been carrying it for the past 5yrs. Due to its slim profile, it doesn't print with shorts and a polo shirt. If you find yourself in the Greenville area send me a PM - I'll meet you at Allen Arms and you can decide for yourself. </div></div>

Might I ask why you sold the Baer Stinger?

(I had been looking at the "Super Stinger" .38 Super although I realize its barrel is 4 1/4" compared to the Wilson's 3.6". I have an STI Guardian in .45 ACP which has a 3.9" barrel.)

Thanks

Nothing was wrong with the Stinger, it's a damn fine pistol. However compared to the Sentinel, I noticed additional trigger creep, and the slotted mainspring housing - as opposed to the Wilson's checkering - made it a more comfortable gun for me to shoot.

When shooting 45, I began picking up the Wilson as opposed to the Baer. After noticing the Stinger had been sitting idle in the safe for over 2yrs, it was sold.

Something like this comes down to personal preference, not brand loyalty.

I disagree. I have observed a reamarkable difference in performance between Baer and Wilson Combat.

I would pick the Wilson Combat every time. They run great.