• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wilson Combat Woes

DuneBoer

Apocalypse Now!
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2012
    State of Jefferson
    A number of years ago I bought a Wilson Combat CQB. For me a Wilson was dream gun like a GAP. I saved and even sold an early 2000's Kimber to fund it. That was my first mistake. When I got it, I took it out and shot it. I shot some ball Winchester out of it. It was really sweet shot just a little bit better than the Kimber. After a couple of boxes through it, I had a failure to feed. It happens maybe in my haste I didn't get enough lube on it. I put another couple of boxes through it and was in love. Much like my first wife, I had been fooled.

After a fashion I decided I was going to carry my Wilson off duty. My duty pistol was a SIG P220 that has run flawlessly for years. I'm really not a SIG guy but I wept a tear when I turned it in at retirement. 40,000 rounds through it running Winchester Ranger T series. Basically this is just the old "Black Talon" stuff under a different name. In my Kimber I had ran 3000 rounds of this stuff through it with out a hiccup.

I got some new leather for the Wilson loaded up some of 230 grain T and went and shot a magazine through it. No issues. I carried it off duty for about a year. I went to the range with some friends and brought the Wilson along with an HK USP. The department I used to work for had a reg that any ammo over two years old could not be carried for duty use and was for training only. That with all the old guys that carried 45's retiring, I had shitloads of the Win T-series on hand.

I decided to shoot the Wilson that day. After 3 magazines I started to have problems. Stovepipes and failure to eject. My buddy with the Kimber really enjoyed that. My jokes about plastic mainspring housings no longer had an effect. I sent the Wilson back to them. They pretensioned the extractor and replaced the mainspring and the recoil spring. When I got it back I shot it with some Wilson ammo I had bought for it with no problems. A few weeks later I went to the range with T series and everything went to shit again. I just got pissed and put the gun in the safe until a few weeks ago.

1584632403960.png

This is what I got. With the advice of a few of you here I took the shock buff out. I was told that could be the issue. To no avail. The thing is just a jamamatic. I sent it back to Wilson. Here is the email string.

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 8.46.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 8.57.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 8.14.37 AM.png

Wilson stands behind their product and fixed it. but..... Target loads are "Regular ammo" Duty hollow points are Plus P and "powerful". and will damage the pistol "quicker" . CQB Should be changed to CQT. Close Quarters Target. The pistol will come back to me and remain in the safe and fed a steady diet of weak target loads. The heavy lifting everyday carry will be left to the HK USP. This whole thing really pisses me off. Am I just being an old fart? Should I just gently open my legs and insert a tampon and get on with life? I can't even look at my Wilson AR anymore without getting pissed and it works fine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 8.46.56 AM.png
      Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 8.46.56 AM.png
      75.9 KB · Views: 126
    • Haha
    Reactions: Jamesr1 and fx77
    I really sorry to read about your issue. Had I spent that kind of money on a pistol, I would think it would handle any kind of ammo, etc.

That said, the Ranger +p+ ammo is loaded hot and shouldn't be run in certain guns unless they are specifically rated for it like with different recoil springs, etc. The increased rearward slide velocity can do a number on different pistols. Kinda like when an AR is over gassed, that can cause extraction and ejection issues do to timing issues. Similar concept.

You can absolutely use standard self defense ammo with the Wilson with no issue.

Side note, Wilson's are put together incredibly well with tight tolerances, etc.. almost too well sometimes. For absolute reliability, the 1911 platform needs some "wiggle room" to allow lube and a moderate amount of grime while operating. When it's too tight, it needs more lubrication than what you think... a lot more.

It sounds to me like you have only put maybe a hundred rounds through this pistol? Am I incorrect?

Whenever I have someone ask me how to break in a Wilson or Les Baer, or just about any 1911 for that matter, my immediate recommendation is to shoot 1000 rounds of standard ball ammo while lubing it consistently whenever you feel the slide slowing down, which you can feel as it gets grimed up.

That means take the slide off, put a drop or two on each side of the frame rails, top of barrel lug recesses in slide, and where the barrel interacts with the bushing. Reassemble and keep shooting.

You said that you purchased the gun a number of years ago.
    To me, that has likely surpassed the amount of time that would involve a full refund.
    Sucks, a standard GI 1911 usually runs just fine.
    When you start fucking with JM's designs, you can usually count on things not working correctly.
    He designed the shit that way for a reason.
    A low pressure load at moderate velocities. That was what the gun was designed for.

You said that you purchased the gun a number of years ago.
    To me, that has likely surpassed the amount of time that would involve a full refund.
    Sucks, a standard GI 1911 usually runs just fine.
    When you start fucking with JM's designs, you can usually count on things not working correctly.
    He designed the shit that way for a reason.
    A low pressure load at moderate velocities. That was what the gun was designed for.
    230 grain at 850 FPS, max pressure 18,000-19,000 PSI

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
    Just purchased this same handgun here on the hide 2004 model I believe. This kinda makes me sick. I do love my sig 1911’s nary a problem with them.

• Sad
    Reactions: clcustom1911
    Ive been through several high end 1911s (including 2 early Kimbers) and have terrible luck- none were reliable enough to carry with countless trips back to the manufacturers- heck one even had the frame split lol. Decided Im 1911 cursed. My HK USP 45 has never had a malfunction and eats a health diet of 45 Supers as well. Nothing wrong with carrying that- its the one I trust.

Just purchased this same handgun here on the hide 2004 model I believe. This kinda makes me sick. I do love my sig 1911’s nary a problem with them.
    Shoot it a lot and lube it. It's a precision machine that requires lube. Thats the One thing that I've seen cause more malf's in 1911's. Really fancy ones especially because the owners think they're gonna run with only the whisper of lube. Nope.

Shoot it a lot and lube it. It's a precision machine that requires lube. Thats the One thing that I've seen cause more malf's in 1911's. Really fancy ones especially because the owners think they're gonna run with only the whisper of lube. Nope.
    1584638186894.png

This ain't a lube issue.......

230 grain at 850 FPS, max pressure 18,000-19,000 PSI

Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 9.50.20 PM.png

935 is not plus p to Winchester but 925 is plus p to Wilson
    Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 9.49.07 PM.png

Man I’m probably preaching to the choir here but have you tried self defense ammo that not quite as hot? Maybe Hornady loaded with Stp bullets?

Well I had a hard time getting past the point where you said you have 8000 rounds of 230gr. +P T Series... I use the +P+ and at $50 a box and hard to find it took me a while to stock up 1000 9mm 127's and I was lucky to get 500 .45. That T-Series +P+ load is what I use in pistols too and it is pretty snappy for a factory load. But the Glocks don't have a problem with it.

I'd EXPECT a modern .45 to handle full power loads and +P+, ESPECIALLY with all this shit about how these 1911's can handle "full power" 10mm loads (bullshit).

I used to drool over the Wilson shit back in the day when it was Bushmaster or Colt (or Oly if you were dumb enough). I might have bought one of their rifles back in the day but right about that time things changed quickly and I went another way. I'm not a 1911 guy either but I'd still like a nice one and I had my eye on the Wilson too before Ed Brown caught my eye. But at $4k I doubt I'll ever get one.

Good luck, I'd go for the refund. That's just not very comforting for a high end handgun like that. If it was a target only model they should have said so.

I don't have much to add, other than it sounds like the OP needs a Thompson. And/or a Clark "long-slide".

But then again, who doesn't? :D

My two cents (and perhaps what my opinion is worth). I think about Wilson Combat’s and other high end 1911’s, e.g., Les Bear, Nighthawk, Cabot, Ed Brown, etc., the same way I think about high end precision rifles. When you are developing a load for a precision rifle you are developing a load for that exact rifle. For reasons I don’t fully understand and probably never will, the rifle that cost me $12K+ (forget the $4K for glass) does not seem to care for certain powders, brass, primers and bullets. It’s that magical blend of Pixie Dust that we are all perpetually chasing and that feeling of nirvana when we actually find it.

Although I’m sure it’s frustrating to have a ready supply of ammo that for whatever reason your Wilson doesn’t seem to care for, I would try some other types of ammo to see what it does like and then stick with that. To be honest I have never personally considered those “carry” guns anyway (I think of them as Church guns); the tolerances on the Wilson's are very tight which makes them more fussy when choosing ammo not less. My EDC is an HK45 Compact Tactical.

Ok. I'll indulge your belief it's a non-lube related issue. I'll reason through this thing as I type to see if we can come to some kind of logical cause.

In the cycle of operation of a 1911, after the bullet exits the barrel, the slide begins to move backwards, taking the barrel with it because the barrel lugs are flowing the path of the lug recesses in the slide.

The feet of the barrel (or bottom lugs) where the barrel Link is connected by the barrel Link cross pin, move backward as well, once the barrel moves backward far enough, the barrel is pulled downwards as it is being pulled down by the barrel Link which connects the barrel feet to slide stop cross pin.

Once the barrel stops moving downward, the rear of the barrel feet, under the chamber, should be just kissing the frame bridge. Once this movement is completed, the slide is still moving backwards, and the extractor pulls the casing out of the chamber.

Now, here's where things can get spicy because of the 1911's co trolled feeding and extraction.

1. Your Wilson is probably has a super duper tight chamber to have the best accuracy, because it's a Wilson. Other chambers have some more tolerance (room) for the brass to expand and contract back down.

Potentially the ammo you're shooting may be sticking in your chamber and the extractor is coming off the rim as circled in green where the case rim is slightly pulled backward. That can cause the case head to drop down, and the top of the slide pushes the case mouth backward, causing the case head to jam in the magazine feed lips.

I understand "it's not +p ammo" but it is exhibiting issues of increased slide velocity, even after replacement of springs and extractor tuning.

Potential fix? Change ammo. Not every firearm likes every kind of ammo. Does your rifle shoot cloverleaf groups with every ammo? Or, if you're dead set on the ammo, maybe tad heavier recoil spring if that's going to be your primary ammo

2. Below is also a spot of concern: that area of the flat part of the extractor rim on the cartridge....
    Screenshot_20200319-103427_Chrome.jpg

15846406579412065119308279333276.jpg

That's caused by the claw portion of the extractor that's a hair too long.

1584640795015881711530289817069.jpg

I've seen this cause both feeding and extraction issues. Potential fix? I've taken many extractor claws and ground them down to where they dont contact the casing in the way it's happening on your gun.

Kinda Like this (not to scale) LOL:

15846411253987212211237312395297.jpg

OR

Your extractor could be fine, and your ejector tip is contacting the casing a tid bit too high, causing the casing to occasionally go downward as opposed to up. When it moves down. But that wouldn't exactly make sense because your casing is getting jammed in the mag before it hits the extractor.

There could be a couple of the above things going on.

I hope this makes some kind of sense.

Last edited:
    I wouldn't give $500 for the piece of crap. Unfortunately I gave $2400 for it.

Yeah, and I'd be getting that back if that's how you feel about it. It's not a $500 Springfield GI you probably expect to have to fuck with or feed ball.

My two cents (and perhaps what my opinion is worth). I think about Wilson Combat’s and other high end 1911’s, e.g., Les Bear, Nighthawk, Cabot, Ed Brown, etc., the same way I think about high end precision rifles. When you are developing a load for a precision rifle you are developing a load for that exact rifle. For reasons I don’t fully understand and probably never will, the rifle that cost me $12K+ (forget the $4K for glass) does not seem to care for certain powders, brass, primers and bullets. It’s that magical blend of Pixie Dust that we are all perpetually chasing and that feeling of nirvana when we actually find it.

Although I’m sure it’s frustrating to have a ready supply of ammo that for whatever reason your Wilson doesn’t seem to care for, I would try some other types of ammo to see what it does like and then stick with that. To be honest I have never personally considered those “carry” guns anyway (I think of them as Church guns); the tolerances on the Wilson's are very tight which makes them more fussy when choosing ammo not less. My EDC is an HK45 Compact Tactical.

Yeah I load and I have weapons that shoot better with one load over another, but ALL of them are reliable with full power ammo --the only difference is accuracy for the most part. High end COMBAT weapons, you expect that from.

A high end semi auto target pistol I can understand being more finicky, maybe due to tighter tolerances all over and needing a specific load, but a high end fighting pistol usually balances tight tolerances with other more generous features to ensure reliability.

Send it to me with a thousand rounds. I’ll deal with the problems until it irons out. Then you’ll get it back and be better off.

I have shot a CQB quite a bit and had zero problems with bulk 45.

I’d shoot it more with regular ammo and see if it loosens up.

either that or just sell it and get it over with

Great information CL! Looks like your handle is also your profession!
    I've dibbled and dabbled here and there with 1911's for a bit over 10 years now. Built them for competition, and mod'd them for reliability for self defense and duty where 100% running is the only option.

It's fun, but not something that pays bills. Definitely a passion though.

The 1911, for me, is for guys who also like to wrench on their own vehicles. Takes a little bit of know-how to help things up.

I used to carry 1911's for duty and off duty carry. They're great, but I decided to make the switch to some 9milly heat...

I carry and shoot either Glock or my CZ P09 and P07 now.

Last edited:
    Reactions: camotoe
    Trade the POS for two high points and a Chinese AK and just move on... ?

Could be worse, you could have 'two' Wilson pistols, mom working in a house of ill repute, sisters married Democrats, nieces n nephews voting for Bernie, wife best friends to Elizabeth Warren, son liking Pete for two reasons, daughters going to AOC, and your three legged one eye blind dog Lucky ran off with the neighbors cat.
    And 1J04 says u gave him a social disease.
    ??

Count dem blessinz....

Old dogs rule...
    20180217_105055.jpg

A dam Glock is ugly as hell but will feed anything!!! Hard to beat one really!!! Yeah I know give me hell for calling them ugly.

View attachment 7276701

This ain't a lube issue.......

View attachment 7276702

935 is not plus p to Winchester but 925 is plus p to Wilson
    View attachment 7276703

I have a Wilson Combat Tactile Elite pistol. Some where around 3-4000 rounds I would have spent cases look like the ones in the photo. I sent the gun to Wilson with some of the spent cases. Wilson said they adjusted the extractor tension and sent the gun back. It still had the exact same problem when I got it back. I sent some pictures to the Wilson Combat rep on a 1911 forum he said adjust the extractor and sent info on how to do it. I adjusted the extractor tension and haven't had a problem since. I would suggest making the extractor a little tighter. You can Google how this is done.

Even Ferrari makes lemons from time to time stuff happens send it back either make them fix it or replace it or get your money back and buy something else good luck either way .

Ok. I'll indulge your belief it's a non-lube related issue. I'll reason through this thing as I type to see if we can come to some kind of logical cause.

In the cycle of operation of a 1911, after the bullet exits the barrel, the slide begins to move backwards, taking the barrel with it because the barrel lugs are flowing the path of the lug recesses in the slide.

The feet of the barrel (or bottom lugs) where the barrel Link is connected by the barrel Link cross pin, move backward as well, once the barrel moves backward far enough, the barrel is pulled downwards as it is being pulled down by the barrel Link which connects the barrel feet to slide stop cross pin.

Once the barrel stops moving downward, the rear of the barrel feet, under the chamber, should be just kissing the frame bridge. Once this movement is completed, the slide is still moving backwards, and the extractor pulls the casing out of the chamber.

Now, here's where things can get spicy because of the 1911's co trolled feeding and extraction.

1. Your Wilson is probably has a super duper tight chamber to have the best accuracy, because it's a Wilson. Other chambers have some more tolerance (room) for the brass to expand and contract back down.

Potentially the ammo you're shooting may be sticking in your chamber and the extractor is coming off the rim as circled in green where the case rim is slightly pulled backward. That can cause the case head to drop down, and the top of the slide pushes the case mouth backward, causing the case head to jam in the magazine feed lips.

I understand "it's not +p ammo" but it is exhibiting issues of increased slide velocity, even after replacement of springs and extractor tuning.

Potential fix? Change ammo. Not every firearm likes every kind of ammo. Does your rifle shoot cloverleaf groups with every ammo? Or, if you're dead set on the ammo, maybe tad heavier recoil spring if that's going to be your primary ammo

2. Below is also a spot of concern: that area of the flat part of the extractor rim on the cartridge....
    View attachment 7276716

View attachment 7276732

That's caused by the claw portion of the extractor that's a hair too long.

View attachment 7276740

I've seen this cause both feeding and extraction issues. Potential fix? I've taken many extractor claws and ground them down to where they dont contact the casing in the way it's happening on your gun.

Kinda Like this (not to scale) LOL:

View attachment 7276741

OR

Your extractor could be fine, and your ejector tip is contacting the casing a tid bit too high, causing the casing to occasionally go downward as opposed to up. When it moves down. But that wouldn't exactly make sense because your casing is getting jammed in the mag before it hits the extractor.

There could be a couple of the above things going on.

I hope this makes some kind of sense.

Wilsons Gunsmith said the end of the extractor was "rounded off" Maybe it was rounded off because is it was too long. Thanks for the drawings. Makes sense.

I spent years shooting USPSA and treated it like a second job. 3-4 years of that in the Single Stack Division running Baer’s. 1911’s (especially the higher end/tighter ones) do require an occasional tune up, maintenance schedule, cleaning and lube. They have a LOT of parts and a fair amount going on during the firing cycle. A steady diet of hot/duty type loads along with a heavy firing schedule will loosen them up, wear out parts, and occasionally break parts too. I just accepted it.

I shot Glocks in competition as well for years, and they are a completely different animal. You can treat them with the same care as a framing hammer and get away with it. I had ONE part break on Glock, a trigger return spring. That particular G34 had 34,000 rounds through it at the time.

Sorry to hear about your issues with your Wilson, but it sounds like they’re working with you or fixing/tuning things as you go. It will need that from time to time. Just the nature of the beast.

Sucks to have a weapon malfunction like that. I basically inherited a Kimber ProCarry II HD (4” bull barrel rated +P+)from a buddy who was experiencing similar malfunctions for $200. Yes we are still friends and I even offered to return it when I figured out the problem.

1-the springs in a lot of of the plus rated weapons suggest a more frequent spring replacement schedule, like 800 rds in the Kimber.
    2-the tolerances of the Wilson Combat magazines are very OACL sensitive. I started measuring OACL on bulk Ammo and was amazed at the variance.
    3-next issue was his magazines were filthy. Once I changed ammo to a more consistent OACL problem appeared. They seemed to work together against proper function.
    4-last issue I resolved was the worn springs in the magazines. I discovered this when I disassembled them for cleaning.
    Wilson 47D mags
    Old springs- 6.75”
    New springs-8.75”

Caveat to above...
    Never owned at WC 1911

Change out the extractor op.

Or get a glock.

I have a Wilson Combat Tactile Elite pistol. Some where around 3-4000 rounds I would have spent cases look like the ones in the photo. I sent the gun to Wilson with some of the spent cases. Wilson said they adjusted the extractor tension and sent the gun back. It still had the exact same problem when I got it back. I sent some pictures to the Wilson Combat rep on a 1911 forum he said adjust the extractor and sent info on how to do it. I adjusted the extractor tension and haven't had a problem since. I would suggest making the extractor a little tighter. You can Google how this is done.

1911forum is an excellent resource of info.

Yes, extractor tension is pivotal to proper functioning of the 1911.

Theres a sweet spot where you can have the slide off the frame and a loaded round under the extractor it shouldn't fall out when shakes a little bit. LOL. Very exact science.

Reactions: Tims and tnichols
    47D Mag info

Attachments

• A8E27E4D-EB8E-4764-8F10-4478FB77DC11.png
      A8E27E4D-EB8E-4764-8F10-4478FB77DC11.png
      852.4 KB · Views: 109
    47D Mag info
    Thanks! After seeing this I thumbed through my manual
    and saw this

1584662634733.jpeg

1584662678766.jpeg

You guys are great! It never ceases to amaze me the expertise within these walls! I guess I should have read the fine print but you would think the factory would have referred me to this. If I would have known I never would have bought it. Wilson Target all I needed to know.

and saw this

View attachment 7276999

View attachment 7277000

You guys are great! It never ceases to amaze me the expertise within these walls! I guess I should have read the fine print but you would think the factory would have referred me to this. If I would have known I never would have bought it. Wilson Target all I needed to know.
    That top load using N310 with a 200 grain SWC is stupid accurate. Bill used it for years for their accuracy testing. Again, I’m sorry the Wilson didn’t meet your expectation. They aren’t for everyone. Variety makes the world go ‘round.

Once u get at least a 1000 rounds through it, and maybe a different magazine, you might change your mind about it being a Wilson target. Just sayin...

Or even, once the Wilson magazine springs compress a couple of times, you never know.
    There is a definite possibility you will change your mind.

I have experience with them but refuse to pay that much for them.

My beginnings with one:
    Break it down, clean it, and liberally Shooters Choice red grease it.
    Work the slide 100 times by hand, maybe 250.

Dry fire 100 times.

With proving dummies, 5 to a mag, work the action 10 times per mag, or 50 ejections. Per individual magazine. You wont really enjoy that part.

Generally rapid manipulation works where slow can malfunction.

If all that worked fine, break it down, clean it, moderately red grease it, reassemble.

The 230 std ball ammo at 830-850 fps...

5 rounds per mag at a time, first 50 rounds slow fire.

Repeat the clean and grease, 6 per mag,
    Repeat the clean and grease, 7 per mag,
    Repeat the clean and grease, 8 per mag.

And that's assuming the ejector didnt need a tune up. Or a magazine didnt annoy you.

By then you will know whether or not you can start to learn to trust it.

Your mileage may definitely vary.

After so many rounds, I see how little lube will run the animal to keep from sliming my clothes. Back when I wore a suit to work, that did matter....

Yes, you just might change your mind.

It never ceases to amaze me. Shoot 500/1000/1500 rounds.....
    .45 ammo is a bit spend.
    My Philippine made 1911 has been 100% reliable with all factory loads tried.
    OP, the hornady critical duty might be worth a look.

It never ceases to amaze me. Shoot 500/1000/1500 rounds.....
    .45 ammo is a bit spend.
    My Philippine made 1911 has been 100% reliable with all factory loads tried.
    OP, the hornady critical duty might be worth a look.
    Honda civics run until the wheels fall off.

Ferrari? Not so much.

My main 1911's were Springfields, one was a standard "Loaded" line, the other was a Custom Operator. I also had a Les Baer Thunder Ranch.

The Les Baer was built so tight it didn't loosen up until about 1500 rounds. The Springfields ran and ran. All were more accurate than me. But the Les Baer was bullseye competition accurate.

When I first got my CQB (new), I ran 500 rounds through it to break it in per Wilson's instructions. At about 250 rounds, the slide locked halfway in its travel. The Shok Buff had started shredding and some little bits got between the frame and slide. Removed the Shok Buff and fired 5,250 rounds through it over the next 4 years without a single malfunction. Then this:

F716B319-07A6-483B-AF01-A1933E8ACC1A.jpeg

Look familiar? This was the result of working up 45 Super loads to run through it for hunting season. A failed experiment. I put a 22 lb. recoil spring and a 26 lb. mainspring, but it still wasn't enough. The load that did this (twice) chronoed at 1015 fps -less than 100 fps faster than your Ranger T.

You told me in an earlier post that you had a 15 lb. recoil spring in there AND that it hadn't been replaced by Wilson or you and had who knows how many rounds on it.

So here's what happened to your gun: you didn't bother to make sure you had the correct recoil spring for the ammo you were using. You didn't even bother to do the basic MANDATORY safety maintenance of replacing a worn out recoil spring. The weak spring/hot ammo rounded off your extractor and caused your jam. Wilson didn't do anything wrong, you did. The rep's tone in the email indicates that he knew your negligence had caused the issue, but they fixed you up free of charge anyway. Perhaps you should rethink your plan of selling the gun and badmouthing a company that did you solid.

and saw this

View attachment 7276999

View attachment 7277000

I can tell you from lots of experience, the Federal 230 Classic hollow point, 230 Hydra Shok, and both the 185 and 230 Remington Golden Sabers shoot very well.

When I first got my CQB (new), I ran 500 rounds through it to break it in per Wilson's instructions. At about 250 rounds, the slide locked halfway in its travel. The Shok Buff had started shredding and some little bits got between the frame and slide. Removed the Shok Buff and fired 5,250 rounds through it over the next 4 years without a single malfunction. Then this:

View attachment 7277060

Look familiar? This was the result of working up 45 Super loads to run through it for hunting season. A failed experiment. I put a 22 lb. recoil spring and a 26 lb. mainspring, but it still wasn't enough. The load that did this (twice) chronoed at 1015 fps -less than 100 fps faster than your Ranger T.

You told me in an earlier post that you had a 15 lb. recoil spring in there AND that it hadn't been replaced by Wilson or you and had who knows how many rounds on it.

So here's what happened to your gun: you didn't bother to make sure you had the correct recoil spring for the ammo you were using. You didn't even bother to do the basic MANDATORY safety maintenance of replacing a worn out recoil spring. The weak spring/hot ammo rounded off your extractor and caused your jam. Wilson didn't do anything wrong, you did. The rep's tone in the email indicates that he knew your negligence had caused the issue, but they fixed you up free of charge anyway. Perhaps you should rethink your plan of selling the gun and badmouthing a company that did you solid.

I thought I had a 15 lbs spring in it but I wasn't sure what they placed in it when I sent it back the first time. I found the old invoice and they didn't say they replaced any springs to fix the stove pipe issue. (which they didn't fix) Yes they stood behind their product and "fixed it" for free. We will see. The reps "tone" didn't match what was in the manual about ammo. The ammo I was using Win T series which used to be SXT is specifically not recommended. I failed to read this when got the gun (My fault yes). When I asked the rep about when I should replace components he didn't have an answer for me. When I spend that much money I expect to be told the facts about what is wrong with it. I don't care if my feelings get hurt. I wonder what power the recoil/Main springs they put in it? Will they say in a note in the box? I wonder when I should replace it? Rep had no answer when I asked about replacing components.

When I get it back if it works with a steady diet of their target loads, I think I have about 1200 rounds of their 230 gr HAP loads left. I will give the fucker one more chance with the target ammo before I trade it for a blow job and Philipino 1911 in Subic Bay.

Glad yours works for you.

Reactions: Odysseus1911
    Once u get at least a 1000 rounds through it, and maybe a different magazine, you might change your mind about it being a Wilson target. Just sayin...

Or even, once the Wilson magazine springs compress a couple of times, you never know.
    There is a definite possibility you will change your mind.

I have experience with them but refuse to pay that much for them.

My beginnings with one:
    Break it down, clean it, and liberally Shooters Choice red grease it.
    Work the slide 100 times by hand, maybe 250.

Dry fire 100 times.

With proving dummies, 5 to a mag, work the action 10 times per mag, or 50 ejections. Per individual magazine. You wont really enjoy that part.

Generally rapid manipulation works where slow can malfunction.

If all that worked fine, break it down, clean it, moderately red grease it, reassemble.

The 230 std ball ammo at 830-850 fps...

5 rounds per mag at a time, first 50 rounds slow fire.

Repeat the clean and grease, 6 per mag,
    Repeat the clean and grease, 7 per mag,
    Repeat the clean and grease, 8 per mag.

And that's assuming the ejector didnt need a tune up. Or a magazine didnt annoy you.

By then you will know whether or not you can start to learn to trust it.

Your mileage may definitely vary.

After so many rounds, I see how little lube will run the animal to keep from sliming my clothes. Back when I wore a suit to work, that did matter....

Yes, you just might change your mind.

As far as getting my clothes messed up, I used light Militec-1 grease on the frame rails, then a light coat of Militec-1 on the slide stop cross pin, barrel link, barrel locking lugs, and barrel where it articulates with the bushing, and all other internals.

That's just for normal carry. I know that will absolutely work for 250-300 rounds as well. If I'm doing a competition, I'll strip the grease and go with standard Militec-1 lube on the rails if go with my slightly reduced power factor 185 grain load.

I thought I had a 15 lbs spring in it but I wasn't sure what they placed in it when I sent it back the first time. I found the old invoice and they didn't say they replaced any springs to fix the stove pipe issue. (which they didn't fix) Yes they stood behind their product and "fixed it" for free. We will see. The reps "tone" didn't match what was in the manual about ammo. The ammo I was using Win T series which used to be SXT is specifically not recommended. I failed to read this when got the gun (My fault yes). When I asked the rep about when I should replace components he didn't have an answer for me. When I spend that much money I expect to be told the facts about what is wrong with it. I don't care if my feelings get hurt. I wonder what power the recoil/Main springs they put in it? Will they say in a note in the box? I wonder when I should replace it? Rep had no answer when I asked about replacing components.

When I get it back if it works with a steady diet of their target loads, I think I have about 1200 rounds of their 230 gr HAP loads left. I will give the fucker one more chance with the target ammo before I trade it for a blow job and Philipino 1911 in Subic Bay.

Glad yours works for you.

5” Government Pistols

10G8
    22 Ace Conversion with a 5” barrel

10G10
    9mm with a 5” barrel, Factory Loads

10G12
    9mm with a 5” barrel, +P Loads

10G12
    .38 Super with a 5” barrel, Factory Loads

10G13
    .38 super with a 5" barrel, +P Loads

10G15
    40S&W

10G16
    .45acp with a 5” barrel, Target Loads or Factory Loads

Factory Colt replacement, 5" .45ACP

10G17
    .45acp with a 5” barrel, Target Loads or Factory Loads (currently used in WC pistol)

10G18
    .45acp with a 5” barrel, Factory Loads

10G22
    460 Roland with 5.5" barrel

10G20/18
    460 Roland with compensated barrel

10G22
    .45acp with a 5” barrel, +P Loads

10G22
    10mm with 5” barrel, Factory Load

10G24
    10mm with 5" barrel +P

GL17
    .45acp Flat wire spring

10G10
    .38 Super w/suppressor

GL13
    9mm Flat wire

4.25” Commander Pistols

10C12
    9mm Luger with a 4.25” barrel

10C17
    .38 Super with a 4.25” barrel

10C20
    .45acp with a 4.25” barrel

4” Compact/Professional Pistols

10SC11/12
    9mm CQB/SG

GLC13-9
    Flat wire 9mm

GLC13
    Flat wire for heavier 9mm/.38 super loads

GLC15
    .38 Super

10SC11/12
    .38 super CQB/SG

10C17
    40S&W

10SC20
    .45acp with a 4” barrel, Target or Factory loads

10SC22
    .45acp with a 4” barrel, Factory or +P Loads

GLC22
    .45acp Flat wire for use with flush plugs

3.5” Officers/Sentinel Pistols

10SEN22
    .45acp with 3.5” barrel, Factory, or +P Loads

GL15 - 22 coils 9mm

5" Tac-Elite

10G8
    9mm

10G15
    45acp

Spec-Ops

10G12
    9mm

GL13
    Flat wire

Carry Comp

10C20
    .45acp

Stealth

10SC20
    4" .45acp

10SC11
    9mm

Accu-comp

10G10-12
    .45acp Target

10G15
    .45acp Factory

Hammer Springs

Full size .45ACP/10mm/.460 25#

Full size .38 super 19#

Full size 9mm 19#

Compact
    .45 25#
    9mm/.38 super 23#

Sentinel R16APA, Para P12

This is a list from Wilson on which recoil springs they recommend. They recommend replacement every 1500-2000 rounds for a 5inch CQB.
    I run an 18lb spring in my TE . I have shot 230gr Fed HST in my TE with no issues. Accuracy was excellent too.