• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wilson FL resizing die with decap punch removed on pulled live ammo question

tstanek

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2021
Czech republic
Hi there,
I'd like to ask you about a "complication" I encountered when I need to resize necks of live primer ammo (300 PRC, with the die mentioned in the title) after pulling the bullets. Even if the decap punch is screwed completedly in to the main nut, the pin protrudes too far in/out the die and can't be removed from stem basically. That, obviously, leads to punch out live primers which I would prefer not to do that. But if i remove decap punch, it also means to remove inner nut with it, which is in contact with bushing. Do you think It's OK to use the die with both decap punch and black nut assembly removed, just with top nut screwed which will be in contact with bushing? Or should I maybe put the black nut alone above the bushing? Any other ideas? Thanks in advace and have a nice day!
T.

I use a Wilson FL bushing die with the decap rod removed and (in 6CM at least) I have to use the black nut in there too. Without the black nut in there the top piece will not screw down far enough to keep the bushing held down in place to do its job.

I'd actually recommended ditching the decap rod all the time with the Wilson FL bushing die even if you weren't trying to keep those primers... I found out the hard way that the rod can unscrew itself over time and then fuck up your brass by pushing out and deforming your primer pockets if you don't make sure the stupid thing is screwed in tightly.

Reactions: tstanek
Thanks! Aand ditching the decap rod with the black jam nut too or leave the nut inside the die to press on bushing? Edit sorry you mentioned it in the first paragraph...just in my die it is enough to hold the bushing down with top piece alone, so I’m thinking whether to put jam nut there as it’s flat base to make it more “stable” ?

Last edited:
Thanks! Aand ditching the decap rod with the black jam nut too or leave the nut inside the die to press on bushing? Edit sorry you mentioned it in the first paragraph...just in my die it is enough to hold the bushing down with top piece alone, so I’m thinking whether to put jam nut there as it’s flat base to make it more “stable” ?

I guess if you don’t need it, I wouldn’t bother with it… but if there’s any doubt at all, then, use the black nut in there.

The bushing having a little play to self align side to side is good, but you don’t want it having much play at all as far as the bushing being able to move up and down.

Reactions: tstanek